BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
330 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings all.

Anyone around here fitted the Hyperpro steering damper to their LT yet? I have the unit but when I go to attach it up under there, the end that attaches to the body of the bike is way out of alignment with the knuckle joint of the damper.

Any comments of experience most welcome.

Cheers and kindest regards to all

Paul Harrington
AU
E: [email protected]ode.on.net

·
Registered
372 Posts
I had to add a washer between the bike and the gimble mount to cut down on the excessive movement. Had way to much slop with the two gimbles. Now it's just right and no shimmy.

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Mine fit fine

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Paul, did you manage to get the damper installed OK?

Also, what do you guys think of the Hyperpro, did you notice a difference in handling compared to the OEM damper?

Wondering whether to invest in one.....

·
Registered
88 Posts
Don't know about the other guys, but I put one on my 2000 K1200RS and it made all the difference in the world. Change lanes on Expressway or other four lane roads and it does not through the bike. Handling wise, the bike is now very stable. Price wise, it was lots of money. How much is your safety worth and how much would you pay for a great handling bike. I'm going to put one on my LT also. Seems the OEM dampener is getting weak.

·
Registered
372 Posts
I am happy with the results.

Still not sure why I had problems installing it but works just fine now.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
...and did you guys buy the Reactive Safety Control (RSC) or Constant Safety Control (CSC) version?

·
Registered
475 Posts
I intend to rebuild my original when it's time. Only problem is finding the correct seals. I understand, from another site, that there are two seal types that look just alike but one is low pressure and soon fails. The site also gives a step by step on how to do it with pics. I think it was a guy from Johannesburg, South Africa that provided the info. Does anyone have a source for the correct seals?

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Ron, you should know by now if you're gonna tell us about another site with worthwhile info that you've gotta post a link to it... lol. :wave

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
RonHolly said:
I didn't know if it was ok to link another BMW site or not! Well I'll take a chance and post it.
whats the worst someones gonna do... start bitchin about ya for doing it? ;) I think there's always a silent majority that are quietly saying to themselves... ah, thats cool, thanks!
F%$# the rest. :thumb:

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Mine works just fine and I like that it is adjustable.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Fitted the reactive one 2 weeks ago after finding that the original one had died a long time ago. Big difference in highway stability, when the surface is rutted and with cross winds.
Am currently at 6 clicks from the soft side and might be going up another 2 or 3 shortly.
Big difference from no damper!
Al

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Thanks guys for the feedback. Order going in this morning. Can't get quite as cheap here as you can in the US, but not too much more.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Wow, between the new tyre and the new reactive damper... different bike altogether in handling. Loving it.
Install took a couple of hours with taking the wheel off. I didn't have too many issues getting that bolt out, the loctite sure didn't want to let it come out easy though as it was stuck pretty tight in the little spacer and the ball joint in the tree... gentle hammer tap knocked it through.

Lesson learned.. always put the rear half of the mudguard on before re-installing the tyre, that top bolt is a bitch to get back in once the wheel is back on.

:D :D :D

1 - 15 of 15 Posts