BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am watching Curts video on installing new shocks and springs. When he installed the front strut I noticed he did not use the lower damper and collar from original. Is this correct? If I put them on I cant get the hyperpro to fit in. Anyone with experience?

·
Registered
847 Posts
I am watching Curts video on installing new shocks and springs. When he installed the front strut I noticed he did not use the lower damper and collar from original. Is this correct? If I put them on I cant get the hyperpro to fit in. Anyone with experience?
I used the same collar when changing the spring But I am not sure what you are talking about when you say lower damper
You do have to pull every thing off the shocks and pull them down before your strut will fit ;Hope this helps

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The hyperpro seems to be a little longer then the OEM so I cant get it in place with the lower rubber damper on. may need a thinner one. Suggestions?

·
Registered
847 Posts
The hyperpro seems to be a little longer then the OEM so I cant get it in place with the lower rubber damper on. may need a thinner one. Suggestions?
These are a couple of pictures of the new spring in You see you have to push far enough down to get your c clip off to put back in UNDER your RUBBER

Attachments

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
These are a couple of pictures of the new spring in You see you have to push far enough down to get your c clip off to put back in UNDER your RUBBER
I bought the spring/shock combo already assembled. So I am actually just doing a swap with the OEM strut.

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
What would be the recommendation on a 99 K1200LT? Hyperpro over OEM shock for both front and rear, or simply everything new? When do I know it is time to replace them? I do not want to spend if I do not have to, but perhaps 17 years with the same shock/spring combo and nearly 30K miles, I am need advice from the experts, here. I have the bike for 6 months now, and weigh "only" 300lbs ;)

Thank you!

Jerry

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
30 K is about it for a shock at least that is the upper recommended rebuild interval for Hyperpro, Ohlins and Wilbers.

Reactions: ALL4BMW

·
Registered
186 Posts
Where is the current "safe" place to get HyperPro springs in the US. Have the big girl half naked after brake line replacement and thought it might be a good time to do the springs too while the rain is hanging around.

Thanks in advance,
Tim

·
Premium Member
97 Posts
Where is the current "safe" place to get HyperPro springs in the US. Have the big girl half naked after brake line replacement and thought it might be a good time to do the springs too while the rain is hanging around.

Thanks in advance,

Tim

In reading all the recommendations, it appears to be at EPM Performance (www.epmperf.com). I just called them and the front and rear springs are $269 for the pair. The spring/shock for the rear is $709 and front combo is $599. These are custom made for weight and riding conditions.

Good luck!

Jerry

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
423 Posts
30 K is about it for a shock at least that is the upper recommended rebuild interval for Hyperpro, Ohlins and Wilbers.
John, all over this site there are people replacing shocks and springs at 30k and others that just replace the springs, saying that's all that's needed. Big price difference. What's a hacker to believe?

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,781 Posts
Replacing the spring restores ride height and suspension travel, but that does nothing for damping. Stock springs seem to sag so the new springs make a difference. But there is nothing like a fresh shock to help you maintain control in a tight corner.

Reactions: dmwradon
1 - 12 of 12 Posts