BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys;

I need some info or a direction.

I purchased a set of Hyperpro springs last November and have done some much needed work to the LT this winter.

I just removed the rear shock today, and will do the front this week.

I need to know if anyone knows a place ( around Montreal or Ottawa) that would be able to swap out the springs on my shocks.

I will try a guy I know who has a shop, but he just changes the whole shock not just the springs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bowdon

·
Registered
701 Posts
Bowdon,

I did it myself, had to make a spring compression tool out of some scrap 1/4" plate & some 3/4" threaded rod & nuts.
If you have access to some bench drill & oxy cutting is all you need.

Remember that there is a grub screw that you need to loosen/remove on the preload fitting on the top of the rear shock before you compress the spring.

I think there is a write up on it I'll see if I can find it.

Phil

EDIT: Found the post with the pictures I did of the compression tool I made..

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44398&highlight=hyperPro+Spring

bowdon said:
Hi guys;

I need some info or a direction.

I purchased a set of Hyperpro springs last November and have done some much needed work to the LT this winter.

I just removed the rear shock today, and will do the front this week.

I need to know if anyone knows a place ( around Montreal or Ottawa) that would be able to swap out the springs on my shocks.

I will try a guy I know who has a shop, but he just changes the whole shock not just the springs.

Any help would be appreciated.

Regards,

Bowdon

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bighopper said:
Bowdon,

I did it myself, had to make a spring compression tool out of some scrap 1/4" plate & some 3/4" threaded rod & nuts.
If you have access to some bench drill & oxy cutting is all you need.

Remember that there is a grub screw that you need to loosen/remove on the preload fitting on the top of the rear shock before you compress the spring.

I think there is a write up on it I'll see if I can find it.

Phil

EDIT: Found the post with the pictures I did of the compression tool I made..

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44398&highlight=hyperPro+Spring

Bighopper;

Thanks for the pictures, I was wondering if you had pictures and a discription of the grub screw and how to remove it.
I can try to get the scrap metal to do this at the local Reno Depot (maybe)

I will try to go to look for the parts Sunday and see If I can make this tool, would this work for the front shock also??
Bowdon

·
Registered
701 Posts
bowdon said:
Bighopper;

Thanks for the pictures, I was wondering if you had pictures and a discription of the grub screw and how to remove it.
I can try to get the scrap metal to do this at the local Reno Depot (maybe)

I will try to go to look for the parts Sunday and see If I can make this tool, would this work for the front shock also??
Bowdon
Bowdon,

If you look at the first picture with the compression clamp on the rear shock, the grub screw is on the side of the preload & is obvious when you have your rear shock out.
Yes I used the same tool to do the front, just adjusted it to get the lip of the spring plate so I could get the slip clips out when I compressed the spring.
If you need further info PM me your phone # & I can call you.

Phil

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Bighopper said:
Bowdon,

If you look at the first picture with the compression clamp on the rear shock, the grub screw is on the side of the preload & is obvious when you have your rear shock out.
Yes I used the same tool to do the front, just adjusted it to get the lip of the spring plate so I could get the slip clips out when I compressed the spring.
If you need further info PM me your phone # & I can call you.

Phil
Is this (picture) what you are talking about? Do you just take off the hose, with the banjo ?

Bowdon (Don)

Attachments

·
Registered
50 Posts
I have not dealt with the Spring(s) on the K12LT so please take this for what it's worth.

I recently added heavy duty springs to my ATV. I purchased a spring compressor to do the job, only to find out it was not large enough to handle the spings on the ATV. That cost me $50.00 and wouldn't work....so I didn't want to buy another larger one. This was the alternative that I found, and used. Please keep in mind that it did not go as smoothly for me as in the video, but it did work.

Ratchet Straps to compress shock springs

·
Registered
701 Posts
Bowdon,

I didn't remove the hose from the Preload adjuster. That is what I was talking about, I made the plate hole to go over this.

The grub screw I believe is what you can see just near the banjo bolt.

I take a picture of the plate & attach soon this AM ops PM.

The first pic is the top plate that goes over the preload adjuster.
The second pic is the bottom tube, if I remember the hole in the center was for the front shock.
Also I used 1/2" thread rod 3' cut in half & it was good to do the job.

Hope this helps.

Phil
bowdon said:
Is this (picture) what you are talking about? Do you just take off the hose, with the banjo ?

Bowdon (Don)

Attachments

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
flyinguy68 said:
I have not dealt with the Spring(s) on the K12LT so please take this for what it's worth.

I recently added heavy duty springs to my ATV. I purchased a spring compressor to do the job, only to find out it was not large enough to handle the spings on the ATV. That cost me $50.00 and wouldn't work....so I didn't want to buy another larger one. This was the alternative that I found, and used. Please keep in mind that it did not go as smoothly for me as in the video, but it did work.

Flyinguy68;

That looks so dangerous!!! I think the getto-mod with the straps might work with an ATV spring, but don't think I would try this on the nLT spring swap!!

Thanks for the video, it was entertaining!!

Regards,

Bowdon

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Bighopper said:
Bowdon,

I didn't remove the hose from the Preload adjuster. That is what I was talking about, I made the plate hole to go over this.

The grub screw I believe is what you can see just near the banjo bolt.

I take a picture of the plate & attach soon this AM ops PM.

The first pic is the top plate that goes over the preload adjuster.
The second pic is the bottom tube, if I remember the hole in the center was for the front shock.
Also I used 1/2" thread rod 3' cut in half & it was good to do the job.

Hope this helps.

Phil

Phil;

I did a carboard cut out of the required plate last night ( the pictures you had helped).

I will get it cut Monday and give this a shot on Thursday to see what happens.

Let you know next week.

Thanks for the pictures and the conversation!!

Regards,

Bowdon (Don).

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don,

As I said in the post you only need 1/2" thread rod.

Your template looks good.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bighopper said:
Don,

As I said in the post you only need 1/2" thread rod.

Your template looks good.

To late, bought and cut 3/4 rods!!

Just like to be safe, the difference in price was 2.00 so it was a wash!!

Bowdon

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
flyinguy68 said:

flyinguy68:

Good idea.................. ;)

·
Registered
1,745 Posts
bowdon said:
Phil;

I did a carboard cut out of the required plate last night ( the pictures you had helped).

I will get it cut Monday and give this a shot on Thursday to see what happens.

Let you know next week.

Thanks for the pictures and the conversation!!

Regards,

Bowdon (Don).
Bowden and BigHopper;

Good idea too................ ;)

·
Registered
49 Posts
I am VERY interested in your experience with changeing out the springs to hyperpros. I have had this mod on my radar for sometime. I didn't like the idea of having to find someone to change out the springs after I've removed them from the bike. Also interested in the reselt please let us all know how thing turn out. :D

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Maineace said:
I am VERY interested in your experience with changeing out the springs to hyperpros. I have had this mod on my radar for sometime. I didn't like the idea of having to find someone to change out the springs after I've removed them from the bike. Also interested in the reselt please let us all know how thing turn out. :D
Maineace;

I will be working on the rear shock Wednesday afternoon. I made a tool with some direction from Bighopper and will give this a try.

I will post some picture Wednesday night if I get the rear shock done.

Let you know if the tool works!!

Bowdon

If the tool works, I would lend it out to guys wanting to do this ( all you pay is shipping to and fro!!)

·
Registered
49 Posts
Thanks, Its been said you can meet the best people here and I agree. If the tool work for you and I get another infusion of cash for new springs I would very much like to borrow yours, no sense re=inventing the weel :dance:

·
Registered
1,334 Posts
flyinguy68 said:

Well, I like your idea. Sometimes simple is better. Really don't see much danger in this as long as you keep your fingers out of the way. With four straps on it, it's not going far.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Hi guys;

The springs are changed!!! Rear was easier to take off and change with the homemade tool ( thanks Bighopper, for the info) The front was easy once you get everything off and apart.

Now have the tool if anyone wants to use it, all you pay is shipping to and from Montreal, but the plate and the 1 1/2 square tube cost me 35.00 and the 3/4 rods and washers cost 12.00 so for 50.00 you can make your own!!

Pictures below.

Regards,

Bowdon

Attachments

·
Registered
701 Posts
Don,

Glad too see that it all came together, & apart as described.

Patten pending :histerica.

That is what makes this forum so great passing information...passing forward.

·
Registered
49 Posts
The next question, how is the ride. I realize that you're in Montreal And riding may still be a way off but I am interested to know how they ride. I live in Maine so my riding season is yet to start, maybe today, let us all know how it rides. :wave

1 - 20 of 27 Posts