BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hyperpro shocks,lowering seat height & battery leakage.

I recently had my both front/rear OEM shocks replaced at 30k miles with Hyperpro shocks, custom built for my weight/passenger/luggage at half preload. The shocks also are designed to lower height by an inch. I rode 1,100 miles on the new shocks from LA to Napa valley round trip and they performed very well. The shocks are pricy ($1700) but I highly recommend the shocks. The inch lowering doesn't affect much as I tried leaning the bike a lot with passenger and luggage scraping only once on the right side the center stand.

The bike handles superbly now better than before. The center stand (2") and kickstand had to be modified and shortened. The center stand doesn't even need any effort now. I am 5'7" and my inseam is 27" my feet are almost flat on the ground with the lower OEM seat. I am also replacing the Metzeler tires with Avons.

My brand new Oddessey battery loses about 0.10v/day if not used and usually around 11,57v it barely turns and makes it but starts. Its usually 12.58v after a good ride. This problem is being researched for electrical leakage. I have a 1w solar charger installed on the top case but wasn't used part of the time as I had a small bag on it. The left rear speaker has stopped working so that is being looked into too. The bike performs very well in all aspects for a 2003 with 32k miles. Will try to post some pics.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I am putting Hyperpro Springs on my 03 LT with about 39K on it. Leaving the shocks stock. I believe it's a less expensive permanent fix. Not sure, but I'll advise. Also - I have Avon's on my RS and was going to put them on my LT but Avon does not make a tire that is rated for the weight of an Lt so I stuck with Metzler's.

·
Premium Member
812 Posts
Re: Hyperpro shocks,lowering seat height & battery leakage.

LosAngelesMan said:
I recently had my both front/rear OEM shocks replaced at 30k miles with Hyperpro shocks, custom built for my weight/passenger/luggage at half preload. The shocks also are designed to lower height by an inch. I rode 1,100 miles on the new shocks from LA to Napa valley round trip and they performed very well. The shocks are pricy ($1700) but I highly recommend the shocks. The inch lowering doesn't affect much as I tried leaning the bike a lot with passenger and luggage scraping only once on the right side the center stand.

The bike handles superbly now better than before. The center stand (2") and kickstand had to be modified and shortened. The center stand doesn't even need any effort now. I am 5'7" and my inseam is 27" my feet are almost flat on the ground with the lower OEM seat. I am also replacing the Metzeler tires with Avons.

My brand new Oddessey battery loses about 0.10v/day if not used and usually around 11,57v it barely turns and makes it but starts. Its usually 12.58v after a good ride. This problem is being researched for electrical leakage. I have a 1w solar charger installed on the top case but wasn't used part of the time as I had a small bag on it. The left rear speaker has stopped working so that is being looked into too. The bike performs very well in all aspects for a 2003 with 32k miles. Will try to post some pics.

If you find the cure for the left rear speaker, please post it. Mine was intermittant for a spell but now no worky. I took the speaker to a radio shop and they say it's good. I checked the connections under the rear seat and they seem OK. Guess I must have a connection prob somewhere. I don't really miss hearing from the rear left, but would like for it to work. :bmw:

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Re: Hyperpro shocks,lowering seat height & battery leakage.

*****"The bike handles superbly now better than before. The center stand (2") and kickstand had to be modified and shortened. The center stand doesn't even need any effort now. I am 5'7" and my inseam is 27" my feet are almost flat on the ground with the lower OEM seat. I am also replacing the Metzeler tires with Avons."*******

I put regular Hyperpro springs on stock shocks, he asked me if I wanted lowering springs, glad I did not go for it - did not realise one would have to modify the stands so much or at all - I have a 31 inch inseam and can still manage OK even tho it sags about 1/2 inch less with me on it

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
JOHNNY said:
I am putting Hyperpro Springs on my 03 LT with about 39K on it. Leaving the shocks stock. I believe it's a less expensive permanent fix. Not sure, but I'll advise. Also - I have Avon's on my RS and was going to put them on my LT but Avon does not make a tire that is rated for the weight of an Lt so I stuck with Metzler's.
Avon does make tires for the LTs. Go to their website http://www.avonmoto.com/fitment-results

Avon recommends:

Storm 2 Ultra Front sku 4556117 120/70ZR17 (Load rating 58W)
Storm 2 Ultra Rear sku 4566413 160/70R17 (Load rating 79V)

I think they are about $299 for the combo. I found very good reviews for these tires right here in this forum.

·
Premium Member
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
The battery 0.10v/day drain was narrowed down to the Ipod adapter which I use Isimple but I guess it will happen with any adapter you use as the 6 CD changer wiring to the right saddlebag is live all the time irrespective of ignition off or key in any position.

Solution is put a toggle switch in between the wiring or simply just unplug adapter when bike not in use and parked overnight for for a few days.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts