BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

Hyperpro rear shock

2K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  deputy5211 
#1 ·
I bought an 08 klt few weeks agao and on inspection, found this big purple spring on the rear shock, on futher inspection it is a hyperpro shock. I don't know much about them, so to ask you that do!!!. What setting do I use on the spring preload for a guy 190 and sadly to say solo b/c wife can't ride anymore neck problems, another story. While I'm at it what do you think for a front shock, the one on now is stock. I love the twisties and ride it hard, always have, excpept when my Lady was on the back.

#2 ·
I am sure that someone will chime in with a setting or guidance on determining a setting shortly.

As for the front, if it is stock, consider just replacing the spring with a HyperPro spring. Many of us have replaced our springs only and report wondrous changes.

If you wait until the replacement spring arrives, the job is probably about two hours start to finish if you hold your tongue just right. You wlll need a strut compressor, or access to someone who does. Come on by... I have one and you can also use my new lift table...

#3 ·
You want to have the suspention at rest half way through the travel. You adjust the pre load until you achieve that. On the LT you have just over 5 inches of travel at the wheel on the rear. When you are sitting on it it should be compessed 2.5 inches from where it was hanging on the center stand. Make sense? A little hard to measure but that is the correct way to do it.

#4 ·
Is there an "easy" way to measure this? If not easy, what is a reliable way?

#5 ·
When I installed my Ohlin I put a dot on the rear drive and measured from the dot to a dot I put on the bottom of the saddle bag while it was on the center stand. Then I moved off the stand and sat on the bike while my wife measured the two dots again. I played with the preload until that distance was 2.5 inches less than the one on the center stand. If the shock is set up for your normal one up weight then this point should be the minimum pre load. That is why the shock builders ask so many questions.

#7 ·
deputy5211 said:
Is there an "easy" way to measure this? If not easy, what is a reliable way?
Adjusted and working better, feels better anyway. As for the front spring I think I'll give it a try sound like a good bet, all except driving to Tx for strut compressor. Your the MAN Tony thanks anyway for the offer. I saw somewhere that four ratchet straps where used I will look for that tread. Also where did you get your HP front spring..

#8 ·
I would counsel AGAINST using the four ratchet straps... strongly.

There is a lot of tension being pulled, and it is important to apply the tension -- and release it -- evenly.

If you want to send me your front shock and have your spring delivered to me, I will be happy to mount the spring for you within 24 hours of receipt... No charge; you just provide a [prepaid label for me to use to send you the refitted shock.

#9 ·
deputy5211 said:
I would counsel AGAINST using the four ratchet straps... strongly.

There is a lot of tension being pulled, and it is important to apply the tension -- and release it -- evenly.

If you want to send me your front shock and have your spring delivered to me, I will be happy to mount the spring for you within 24 hours of receipt... No charge; you just provide a [prepaid label for me to use to send you the refitted shock.
Wow I will get back to you in November if the offer still stands.

#10 ·
The offer will be open then as well. Is also open to anyone who needs it. I remember how much driving around I did trying to find someone who could do it, and I remember the kindness of the fellow member who, when making a compressor for himself, went through the trouble to make an extra one for me and only charged for the parts, shipping, and a six pack.

Your time will come to pay it forward to the next guy. When that time comes, just remember. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.