BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How do you improve an 850 lb. Sport Tourer?

Buy performance progressive springs (HyperPro) from Klaus (http://www.wilbersusa.com).

That, and add said springs to newer/used front and rear struts with 10k each off eBay. Find a place to do the spring swap and spend a day installing and learning this is the workout you've meant to get lately.

Holy shmoly... took the test ride today and cornering was usually 35mph in a 20-25 curve, hit the same curve at 35 mph and hmmm...there was no effort. Went back and hit it at 40 mph... no effort. Hit it again at 45 mph... no effort and no center stand dragging. This thing corners like it was on rails.

Not brave enough to hit it at 50... how low can you go? Braking, tracking, bumps on bridge joints passing like they aren't there , talk about regaining control... never had Ohlins or Wilbers but for $600 total, I am pleased.

Now I just have to figure out why I failed to connect the fuel gauge... another tupperware party, there goes an hour I'll never get back.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Glad to read you are happy with your mods. I`m shure you will enjoy it very much. Remember to stay focus and respect that bike while cornering at high speeds. That`s part of the enjoyable life of owning this bikes. Sorry about the fuel gauge. But we sure enjoy taking then appart and putting them back togeter don`t we?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Two single best most needed purchaces Shocks and Saddle, after reshocking the bike I cannot believe the difference in the ride. Guy's at the dealership kept saying "you'll have to relearn how to ride the bike" LOL wow no kidding.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I am curious to know how much of a challenge it is to take out the rear shock. Anyone who can give me some advise and insight I would great appreciate it.

Glenn

·
Registered
519 Posts
The back takes about an hour to do ( if you have a small jack), its the front that takes all the work and time!!

Did the springs last winter, and what a difference in the ride and support. I find it a little hard one up, but two up it is great.

Bowdon

·
Registered
260 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
southern_nj said:
I am curious to know how much of a challenge it is to take out the rear shock. Anyone who can give me some advise and insight I would great appreciate it.

Glenn
To give you all the access needed, at least the tupperware from the rider's right side upper fairing including the battery cover and passenger right footplate. Then drop the rear registration plate and tire. Remove the battery and bolt from the spring strut tensioner, then all else is accessible. I used a floor jack to put the proper pressure to the swing arm to get the bolts freely moveable.

If you are going to do the front, leave the rear off until the front is complete.

IMHO, 1/4 of the job is rear strut, 3/4 front strut.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts