BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me what safety features the BMW K1200lt 05 has for the Hydraulic Central stand?

Mine failed during the week, would not come down and the yellow fault light. That was OK until I was riding down the M4 (Motorway in Ireland) in the overtaking lane doing 80Mph when the stand decided to work, not easy to ride a bike when the central stand is digging into the ground and also not easy when you have to cross 3 lanes to get to the hard shoulder. Dropped the bike in the ditch, got help and got the bike on the hard shoulder and put it on the side stand and removed the ignition key. 2 minutes the central stand started to put the bike on the main stand.

Removed the power lead and got to main dealer. The fault was a cracked relay with water in it, €30 to fix, but was then told that the motor is unable to lift the bike and a replacement one will cost €760 + 21 VAT.

So two questions

1. what is safety feature of the hydraulic stand (i.e. drop the side stand will kill the engine)
2. I have BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty, will this cover the cost to replace the motor.

Thanks
@ndrew (Shaken, but not stirred)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
113 Posts
Glad you are ok - that could have being nasty.
Did the stand come down by gravity or under power ?.
I am glad my LT is a 1999.
Regards
Defaoite
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
700 Posts
WOW, now that must have been real scary.

Here are a couple of links to the EHCS & some repairs that a few of us have done.
Try searching the K1200 forum on EHCS repairs & you'll find info.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48253

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizquierdo/HYDRAULICCENTERSTANDOVERHAUL#

I would suggest that it's not the motor that is the problem but that the Hydraulic fluid is low & most probably very dirty & should be replaced.

This link will provide info on the changing/flushing of the hyd fluid.

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=7


Good luck

hoffmandrew said:
Can anyone tell me what safety features the BMW K1200lt 05 has for the Hydraulic Central stand?

Mine failed during the week, would not come down and the yellow fault light. That was OK until I was riding down the M4 (Motorway in Ireland) in the overtaking lane doing 80Mph when the stand decided to work, not easy to ride a bike when the central stand is digging into the ground and also not easy when you have to cross 3 lanes to get to the hard shoulder. Dropped the bike in the ditch, got help and got the bike on the hard shoulder and put it on the side stand and removed the ignition key. 2 minutes the central stand started to put the bike on the main stand.

Removed the power lead and got to main dealer. The fault was a cracked relay with water in it, €30 to fix, but was then told that the motor is unable to lift the bike and a replacement one will cost €760 + 21 VAT.

So two questions

1. what is safety feature of the hydraulic stand (i.e. drop the side stand will kill the engine)
2. I have BMW Motorrad Insured Warranty, will this cover the cost to replace the motor.

Thanks
@ndrew (Shaken, but not stirred)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Defaoite said:
Glad you are ok - that could have being nasty.
Did the stand come down by gravity or under power ?.
I am glad my LT is a 1999.
Regards
Defaoite
The stand came down under power... try steering a bike when you can't lean.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
656 Posts
I know on my 09 that the Center stand won't activate while the bike is in gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Bighopper said:
WOW, now that must have been real scary.

Here are a couple of links to the EHCS & some repairs that a few of us have done.
Try searching the K1200 forum on EHCS repairs & you'll find info.

http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=48253

http://picasaweb.google.com/pozoizquierdo/HYDRAULICCENTERSTANDOVERHAUL#

I would suggest that it's not the motor that is the problem but that the Hydraulic fluid is low & most probably very dirty & should be replaced.

This link will provide info on the changing/flushing of the hyd fluid.

http://www.bmwlt.com/files/displayimage.php?album=15&pos=7


Good luck

Thanks Phil,

Will check out your links

Was hoping that the warranty could cover the costs.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,093 Posts
The safety interlocks are the side stand down, moving (speedo indicating), in reverse, and brakes on. But none of those will help if the relay is damaged as they are all in effect BEFORE the relay and keep it from operating. Glad you survived.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,985 Posts
That must have been VERY scary, glad you are OK.

Where is the relay situated ?. Find it strange that it is somewhere where water can get to it. Is it something we should change every so often to be on the safe side ?.
 
1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Top