BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week, first time out of the garage for the old girl this year, I lost hydraulic pressure at the clutch lever. Starting at the easy to work on end of the system, I found plenty of evidence of fluid seepage so changed the seals in the master cylinder.

I followed Kirks' instructional video on how to bleed the system, but still had very poor clutch action...it would just about disengage, but as much as twitch your fingers holding the lever and the clutch would bite.

I left the lever cable tied back to the bars for a couple of days, and today found it much better, not 100%, but now rideable. And no obvious loss of fluid, which I hope means the slave cylinder isn't leaking. I suspect there is still some air in the system.

So I just wanted to ask 2 things:

1. Any tips or tricks to bleeding the system not covered in the video?
2. When I re-opened the reservoir after the lever was tied-back, I found the new fluid had gone a little cloudy, something I've never come across before. Any thoughts as to why this might be?

Thanks.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,941 Posts
Could be cloudy from micro-bubbles that worked their way back up. It is hard to get bubbles to "go down" as in trying to get them out at the bleeder. May try going the other way and drain out the reservoir and "push" fluid up from the bottom with a syringe. Also it will gravity drain if you just open the bleeder and leave it.

I guess one more would be to ask has the "weep hole" been drilled in the slave mounting boss? See the sticky note above. If not then the slave could be leaking and you will not notice it until it contaminates the clutch.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Could be cloudy from micro-bubbles that worked their way back up. It is hard to get bubbles to "go down" as in trying to get them out at the bleeder. May try going the other way and drain out the reservoir and "push" fluid up from the bottom with a syringe. Also it will gravity drain if you just open the bleeder and leave it.

I guess one more would be to ask has the "weep hole" been drilled in the slave mounting boss? See the sticky note above. If not then the slave could be leaking and you will not notice it until it contaminates the clutch.
Good point about the bubbles, didn't think of that. I did actually try sucking fluid through from the bleed pipe with a syringe to speed things up, didn't want to risk pushing air back into the pipes by pumping it the other way.
As to the weep hole, I'm guessing it hasn't been done, the bike was dealer maintained by its last owner and theres no sign of it in the bundle of paperwork and receipts that came with the bike.
Thanks for your help, :wave hopefully a little patience and a little more careful bleeding of the system should have it sorted. :smile:

1 - 3 of 3 Posts