BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I broke my right foot a few weeks ago. Why it didnt occur to me to do this after and not during the riding season, I dontrknow.

I am just wondering if anyone has installed a hydraulic stand on a 2000 -or any older model year- LT. It might be a precaution I want to take for the future.

Any special tools required?

·
Registered
795 Posts
A few people have done it and there have been at least a couple pretty good write ups, they should show up on a search for EHCS retrofit or similar. Here is one such example on a 2001, it should be similar.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
O man. I will once again have to bite of note than I can comfortably chew. I'm a wrenching newbie, not that it matters.

Will keep up the search in hopes that there's a true step by step post out there.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Richard, if you do go down this path, make sure you get the matching sidestand with the EHCS actuator and its support frame with skid plate.
All parts are needed for the actuator to function, you can't just use your old sidestand as it doesn't have the cross support that the hydraulic arm pulls on to pull the stand down.
It's mentioned in those other threads. :)

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Richard, if you do go down this path, make sure you get the matching sidestand with the EHCS actuator and its support frame with skid plate.
All parts are needed for the actuator to function, you can't just use your old sidestand as it doesn't have the cross support that the hydraulic arm pulls on to pull the stand down.
It's mentioned in those other threads. :)
Thanks, CWS. Now I wish I had gotten a skid plate way back when BMW was offering them for the early year models.

I'll do some research this weekend. Yours will be first among my many notes as I try to figure this out.

·
Registered
165 Posts
you can't just use your old sidestand .......
Slight typo I'm sure.

The actuator attaches to the bar on the skid plate.

I've got most of the parts to do this conversion on mine so this thread caught my eye.
Needing the female part of this connector to finish.

I'm guessing the skid plate will need to be dropped after doing this conversion to do an oil/filter change. I'm sure another connector could be spliced in but the OEM BMW one is nice quality and I'm in no hurry. Probably have to find a harness on eBay for the connector.

Ken

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Slight typo I'm sure.
Yep, brain not fully engaged when sick with flu... lol.
Meant to say centrestand (which has the sidestand attached)...the hydraulic arm goes through the swivel piece (in pic with a white zip tie through so as not to lose parts). The other end of the actuator is on the skid plate frame.

And yes, the EHCS needs to be dropped to do an engine oil change. That's just the 2 supporting side bolts that have the small arms on them, and the rear supporting bolts. Off the top of my head I can't remember if it has to come off completely to do the transmission oil.... I think mine was off completely last time I did it, but it may not need to.

On the 05 & later bikes the other side of the EHCS power plug gets zip-tied to a small black angled plate that sits between the cross beam and the frame (see pic, I'm holding the wire, plug at RH side)... guess you'd just tie to frame would be fine.

Richard, here's some complete pics of my spare unit so you can see what you need, and a little video of how to remove the unit, at least you'll see how it fits together.

Attachments

·
Registered
787 Posts
I have an 07 and the EHCS does not have to be dropped to change oil just the skid plate needs to come off.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have an 07 and the EHCS does not have to be dropped to change oil just the skid plate needs to come off.
Is that oil change and filter?

Guess I won't know for sure until I get it mounted on the 03 model.

Ken

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
ah, thx Norton. The nuts have always been scraped & sheared on mine so I never try to remove the skid plate from the frame... :rolleyes:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts