BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2005 k1200lt. The hydraulic center stand doesn't work. I took it apart. Cleaned and bled the system just like the Ari / Joe Gottberg and Silver Buffalo outlined. I didn't replace any seals cause I didn't see any leaks and none appeared to be damaged. I still can't get the actuator to move inward. I hooked it up to my battery charger on 12v/2a and the motor works but the arm won't move. I even reversed the polarity. I have taken it apart twice. bled it many times. there are no bubbles/air in the system. I can press the actuator in and it will slowly move back out. No binding. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
Sounds like you don't have enough oil in the system. That is a typical symptom of too little oil. Try adding some more with a pipette and you should start seeing the actuator rod move. Dont overfill the system though!
Regards

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response. I got it to work. I put my charger on 6amp instead of 2amp and the actuator works fine. No leaks.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Bo, did you pull the motor apart to check its OK too.....? Fairly cheap fix to drop a new one in.
I had to add some more oil to mine last weekend as it was starting to fail again in warmer temps.... that did the trick and all seems good for now.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,556 Posts
Must be the season for them. I had flushed mine after it started acting up on the way to CCR. Still wasn't working right. Put a new motor on and same thing - just quieter. Drained it and only had 100 ml in the old girl. Finally got 130 ml in and she is purring like a kitten again.

Found an easier way to fill the damn thing too. That big black bolt head contains an internal o-ring between chambers. I would remove it and as I squirted oil in I would press the unit against the work bench moving the rod into the cylinder. The chamber will suck in almost 50 ml a stroke. You have to put the bolt back in before you release the rod. Then do it again. Eventually you can add no more fluid to that area. Close it up and add the remaining 5-7 ml to the small filler port on the bottom left side. That way you can reliably get 130 ml in.

·
Super Moderator
1,410 Posts
Sounds like we need to have a tech session at the next IronHorse . . .

I just bought a new 2009 LT and getting ready to sell my 2002.

So it looks like I now need to know how the center stand operates as I anticipate future maintenance and repair opportunities!!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello all.
I pulled and cleaned the motor. alot of oxidation on the brush screws and the cylinder cover. I sanded and cleaned the cover and screws. The motor works fine and the actuator goes in like it should. This is on the bench though with my battery charger set at 12v/6a. So, that part seems on. Now I dont have power at the female plug. I put my volt meter on the pos/neg leeds and with the ignition on I dont get a voltage reading when I push the center stand button. The indicator light blinks, but no voltage. I havn't gotten my shop manual CD yet. I checked the fuses between the passenger seat and rider seat. They are all good.

Bo

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I might have answered my question. Im at work so I'll have to see tonight when I get home. Could the reason I'm not getting voltage to the female connector be because my side stand is down? The riders manual says "Operator error" (thats me). "Side stand extended". "The indicator light flashes at 4 Hz and Indicator in the multifunction display has a -Call- symbol" (whatever that is). Any ideas? My R1100s is so much more simple..........Bo

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
and dont touch the brakes

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks. I didnt touch the brakes, but the side stand is down. I hope thats all it is. bo

·
Registered
231 Posts
bobmwmz said:
I might have answered my question. Im at work so I'll have to see tonight when I get home. Could the reason I'm not getting voltage to the female connector be because my side stand is down? The riders manual says "Operator error" (thats me). "Side stand extended". "The indicator light flashes at 4 Hz and Indicator in the multifunction display has a -Call- symbol" (whatever that is). Any ideas? My R1100s is so much more simple..........Bo
Side stand must be back up, Gearbox in neutral, none of the brake levers actuated and bike cannot be moving.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Great. Thats what I'll do when I get home tonight. Thx. Bo

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
The problem was the side stand being down. Thanks for a great resource. Ari and joegottberg write ups on the subject were perfect. The procedure is pretty straight forward. I made the mistakes not fully understanding how the stand worked. Read the owners manual first would have helped. Thanks again.
Bo.

·
Registered
476 Posts
You're not the only one to learn something like this - I thought my center stand was faulty one day, and posted that message on this board. Then somebody mentioned "don't touch the brakes".... I had parked on a hill and was holding the brake... :eek:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts