BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some are aware, I had a leak on my 2005 Electro-Hydraulic Center Stand.

I have found a source for the seals and filed a procedure per the link in this thread. They required 4 piece (per seal and O-Ring) Minimum. Great place to work with and helpful. The only "negative" for me was the Urethane recommendation for seal material. I found the lip easy to nick and I "burned through" 3 of the 4 during the rebuild(s). I am recommending Buna-N, YMMV.

The entire process will take 2 or 3 hours. If you are just flushing maybe 1-2 hours.

I had the pleasure of a "flawless" rebuild, until a few days later when she began spotting again. Took it back apart and saw one of the Snap Rings was not seated and the seals shifted. Replaced the seals again and snapped a piece off my cylinder end cap. Needless to say, this repair was also added to the procedure.

It appears more people are having problems with O-Rings than seals, so I went a little larger on the O-Ring cross section.

These two threads have some other Member's experiences:

Thread #1

Thread #2

This is the Procedure:

Center Stand Rebuild and Flushing Procedure

What a way to spend a Saturday Afternoon ;)

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Rod Seal is "standard". I found many web sites that sold it.
It needs to be a 10 mm bore, 16 mm OD and 4.5 mm wide. Material is Buna-N.

The "cartoon" of the Wiper Seal in the procedure (Page 21) are the dimensions from the supplier. You should (hopefully) be able to e-mail or fax that sheet and find it locally.

Good Luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Joe, great follow-up article and thanks for the seal info. I will try to find spares locally or go to your source. I put a more detailed response in the other thread I was following. THanks, Dale.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
13,930 Posts
Stuff moves around on this site. Here is an updated link EHCS Procedure

Oh and make sure you do not completely fill the unit with fluid or a hydraulic lock will occur and blow out the case gasket. There needs to be some air so the relief valve has somewhere to pass the fuild at the end of travel of the ram.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts