BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for any helpful info - my friend and I are going to be doing a BBG 1500 this spring and are looking at going in a loop from Sac thru Ely to Nephi UT, then to Las Vegas and back to Hwy 50 and Sac. We are looking at going on 50 through Nevada at night and wonder about any problems we might encounter - deer? - closed gas stations? - unmarked corners? etc. We have not ridden the Loneliest Road before and figured it would be the best section for the night portion of the ride. I appreciate any advice you can give.

·
Registered
5,857 Posts
gr8fulfred said:
Looking for any helpful info - my friend and I are going to be doing a BBG 1500 this spring and are looking at going in a loop from Sac thru Ely to Nephi UT, then to Las Vegas and back to Hwy 50 and Sac. We are looking at going on 50 through Nevada at night and wonder about any problems we might encounter - deer? - closed gas stations? - unmarked corners? etc. We have not ridden the Loneliest Road before and figured it would be the best section for the night portion of the ride. I appreciate any advice you can give.
Hwy 50 at night.....

Deer? Yes yes and add Elk in the Ely area.
Closed gas stations - Yes - in Eureka and Austin
Unmarked corners - Yes!

I've done a lot of hwy 50 crossings and find Hwy 50 at night challenging.

Hwy 80 might be a better bet - but 50 can be done.

·
Registered
90 Posts
A little easier

#1 Sac to Green River during the daylight hours. Green River to SLC, trying to get to Spanish Fork (~900-950 miles depending on your start) before prime deer time, and I80 back.

#2 Doesn't include 50. Sac to Little America WY. and back

Joe

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
This past June I rode across 50 and in the mountains near Austin the road was covered with live and squished locust (or similar insect). Made cornering real interesting. At night it would have been a real surprise.

·
Registered
210 Posts
#2 Doesn't include 50. Sac to Little America WY. and back

Joe[/QUOTE]

I would chose this route if it was up to me; have ridden MANY times between Sac and Denver on both 80 and 50. 80 is by far the fastest and probably safest at night.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Hi-way 50 at night

I've done 50 many times, even once at night and would not ever do it again. Way too many animals to contend with, not to mention those locusts that were mentioned. If you can do 50 on the way back during the day. Watch for the Sherriff near Austin. He was good about not writing me up for excessive speed (105 mph) but did allow me to pay a fine of $58 for a NON MOVING VIOLATION. Go figure. Watch the cross winds as they can be terrible at times. Good Luck.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
gr8fulfred said:

I have made several Hwy50 crossings and I have concur with what John Flowers (amarider) has posted.
Although I have not done it at night I have been on there at dusk and at dawn. That was enough to convince me that the wildlife is abundant, at least in the summer. Personally I would avoid this area at night and opt for slabbing it during the from dusk till dawn.

·
Registered
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks everyone - exactly the info I was looking for. It looks like Hwy 50 at night is NOT going to be the route for our planned loop, so now we are investigating other circular routes. We don't really want to do a "there and back again" run; if we did we would probably go 1500 miles straight out to S. Dak. and visit relatives there instead of going 750 and turning around. Thanks again, Fred

·
Registered
2,651 Posts
You could alway PM Raffy, I am sure he has a way or two to turn night time in to day. Now say that fast 3 times..

·
Registered
2,084 Posts
Not locust....

jkersh1 said:
This past June I rode across 50 and in the mountains near Austin the road was covered with live and squished locust (or similar insect). Made cornering real interesting. At night it would have been a real surprise.
They are Mormon Crickets, members of the shieldback Katydid family. They can cover the road for a hundred yards at a stretch. Very dangerous for motorcycles day or night.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mormon_cricket

1 - 10 of 10 Posts