BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today's Moto Mouth focuses on Hudson Valley Motor Parts' heavy Bar End Weights. If you've got buzz in your bars, this episode is for you!

-MKL

·
Registered
418 Posts
Nice review Moshe

Reactions: kbob12

·
Registered
251 Posts
Ordered a set in black for my 2015RT and received them in two days. Install took 5 min like you said. I had no problems with vibration but they are a definite improvement to an already really smooth ride :)

·
Premium Member
183 Posts
Thank you for a concise, yet very informative review, Moshe - I have just placed my order for a pair.

:)

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
If you are a member of (free to join) F800riders.org and you mention this you will get a $10 discount. I don't know if that's extended to MOA members but it well might be. I put them on immediately and they do improve handlebar vibration amplitude, and look decent. FWIW, I bought the black version and the power coating is just starting to thin in spots. I'd do the cheaper brushed stainless version were I to buy them today.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Nice, but not exactly cheap.

I agree they look nice and probably work great and also I know they have make a $$ but $78.00 seems a little steep. Just my 2 cents..

·
Registered
105 Posts
Actually, if you want the black powder coat they are $90!! That's $45/pound for stainless steel!

But, I have them and while they do make a noticeable difference don't expect miracles. Takes a while to get used to seeing the ends of the hand-grips extended out an extra 3/4".

Ski

·
Registered
1,955 Posts
Actually, if you want the black powder coat they are $90!! That's $45/pound for stainless steel!

But, I have them and while they do make a noticeable difference don't expect miracles. Takes a while to get used to seeing the ends of the hand-grips extended out an extra 3/4".

Ski
That's right--and if real smooth is real important then modern boxer engines should not be your first choice--there are lots of better designs for real smooth. In fact, getting on the RTW after bfast the other day two people on two Zero's zoomed by on the road and that was weird--they would have to be the ultimate in smooth if not weird!

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
I just installed these on my 08 RT. These along with the grip puppies make a noticeable difference, and that is for the better! I cannot believe the difference.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I just installed these on my 08 RT. These along with the grip puppies make a noticeable difference, and that is for the better! I cannot believe the difference.
Me too! I installed my HVMP Bar End Weights yesterday and yes, they do make a noticeable difference.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Moshe,
Thanks for the review. I ordered a set of black ones for my RT. They are quite substantial. Installation was simple. I haven't had a chance to ride any distance yet since I installed them, so I can't say one way or the other whether they really help. But it appears that they will deliver as advertised. Thanks again.

Doug

·
Registered
32 Posts
Thanks for the review. I've ordered a set and expect them before the weekend.

Will give a review later.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I bought a set , in black which is gloss by the way, and installed them on my 2016 R1200RT....not expecting miracles.
As I road the first 100 miles I thought I noticed a difference, as all of us like to congratulate ourselves on the newest farkles on a continuing basis.
I noticed they stood out in my vision, sticking out of the handlebar ends, but a small change if they produce a difference.

The second 100 miles my riding became more normal, a bit more aggressive, a little higher RPM to negotiate a more twisty route on secondary roads. I forgot about the new bar weights and was having fun on the ride. And then I noticed my hands were numbing from vibration. So I went back into testing mode.....because I could not remember what the OEM bar weights produced.
So, my test, with new heavier weights seems under 4000 things are pretty much smooth, simply going 4500-5500 things get pretty high frequency viby ...........so I have to reinstall OEM weights to see what I have been feeling.... i am so not sure.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,157 Posts
.......so I have to reinstall OEM weights to see what I have been feeling.... i am so not sure.
You may well be right - and i'd love to know.
The problem here is science!
The weights are no miracle cure - although manufacturers would like us to believe that it is. There is a resonant frequency involved. Just like 'twanging' a steel rule on a table and sliding it in and out listening to the speed at which it clacks on the table. The weights are just like moving the 'rule' outward. There is without doubt damping going on, but it is whether it is working at the rev ranges (resonant frequencies) this bike runs at.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I bought a set , in black which is gloss by the way, and installed them on my 2016 R1200RT....not expecting miracles.
As I road the first 100 miles I thought I noticed a difference, as all of us like to congratulate ourselves on the newest farkles on a continuing basis.
I noticed they stood out in my vision, sticking out of the handlebar ends, but a small change if they produce a difference.

The second 100 miles my riding became more normal, a bit more aggressive, a little higher RPM to negotiate a more twisty route on secondary roads. I forgot about the new bar weights and was having fun on the ride. And then I noticed my hands were numbing from vibration. So I went back into testing mode.....because I could not remember what the OEM bar weights produced.
So, my test, with new heavier weights seems under 4000 things are pretty much smooth, simply going 4500-5500 things get pretty high frequency viby ...........so I have to reinstall OEM weights to see what I have been feeling.... i am so not sure.
Would love to hear if the HVMP mean the higher rpm's unmanageable compared to stock

1 - 18 of 18 Posts