BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
BMW Guru
8,469 Posts
jeffreyjames said:
Is it good at highway speeds? What's your review? Subject bike is a 2006?
At highway speeds it's average at best, especially when compared to an LT or HD bagger. Don't expect to have loud volume. It's better around town or on a back country road at slower speeds.

I do always were a full face helmet so it could be better with an open face....

·
Registered
131 Posts
Ted Shred said:
At highway speeds it's average at best, especially when compared to an LT or HD bagger. Don't expect to have loud volume. It's better around town or on a back country road at slower speeds.

I do always were a full face helmet so it could be better with an open face....
Jeff, As Ted says it's not the best at speed but I have my radio/cd roughted thro my Autocom unit at the flick of a switch if I intend doing a few miles on the highway at speed, and I think I am right in saying the volume increases the faster you go. But on a back country road with Judas Priest at full volume I watch the wildlife diving for cover!!!...
And one last thing to bear in mind is that if you hit a hole in the road ( typical of UK roads) the CD jumps a few tracks and can soon ruin a good CD. OH for miles of smooth roads that you guys have, you don't know how lucky you are !!!...

·
Registered
545 Posts
jeffreyjames said:
That's a little disappointing.. Are there upgrades available? Anyone elses thoughts?
You betcha. Here's what I did - bought the '09 R1200RT with the radio prep kit. Soooo, I have the speakers on the bike, but no radio. Then I had the dealer add on my Garmin Zumo 550, and also added an Autocom SuperPro system, and a Cycle Sounds 100W amp to run power to the BMW speakers. The Autocom stuff is all under the seat. Two Shoei helmets with speakers in the helmets, and wired to plug into each of two ports on the bike for rider and passenger. The dealer took care of all of this with the brand new bike.

Now then. The Zumo 550 is also an MP3 player - and also an XM radio if you get the subscription and the puck (antenna). Downloaded my entire iTunes library to the 550.

With the rig set up like this, there are now two male plugs right by the Zumo. Plug one of 'em in, the sounds run through the bike speakers. With the volume control on the Zumo, I can turn it up enough so the dude in the car in the next lane with the window closed can hear it. However, I prefer wearing the full coverage Shoei flip-up, and the sound is just great through the helmet speakers at any speed you'll want to run. So I plug the other male plug into the Zumo and do that, almost all the time. You can also talk to your passenger if you wish, and bluetooth your phone through the Zumo, which in turn runs it hardwired to your helmet speakers (again assuming you have the helmet speaker lead plugged into the Zumo).

As fixed up by the dealer in this manner, I very seldom run sound through the bike speakers, and almost always have MP3 player tunes coming in through the helmet speakers. I haven't activated the XM radio, but might very well do so sometime - we'll see.

Anyhow, there's another idea - it bypasses the radio (though it wouldn't necessarily have to - perhaps some sharp pencil can tell you how to keep that in the mix as well), uses either the bike speakers or the helmet speakers, and has you enjoying an MP3 player.

Saw your other post on the Harleys - really don't know much about them - kinda hard to tell much looking at them in the rear view mirrors - getting smaller and smaller. :D
4K-7K is definitely the "happy place" for the RT when you wanna let out a little shaft.

Best, John

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Trojan said:
You betcha. Here's what I did - bought the '09 R1200RT with the radio prep kit. Soooo, I have the speakers on the bike, but no radio. Then I had the dealer add on my Garmin Zumo 550, and also added an Autocom SuperPro system, and a Cycle Sounds 100W amp to run power to the BMW speakers. The Autocom stuff is all under the seat. Two Shoei helmets with speakers in the helmets, and wired to plug into each of two ports on the bike for rider and passenger. The dealer took care of all of this with the brand new bike.

Now then. The Zumo 550 is also an MP3 player - and also an XM radio if you get the subscription and the puck (antenna). Downloaded my entire iTunes library to the 550.

With the rig set up like this, there are now two male plugs right by the Zumo. Plug one of 'em in, the sounds run through the bike speakers. With the volume control on the Zumo, I can turn it up enough so the dude in the car in the next lane with the window closed can hear it. However, I prefer wearing the full coverage Shoei flip-up, and the sound is just great through the helmet speakers at any speed you'll want to run. So I plug the other male plug into the Zumo and do that, almost all the time. You can also talk to your passenger if you wish, and bluetooth your phone through the Zumo, which in turn runs it hardwired to your helmet speakers (again assuming you have the helmet speaker lead plugged into the Zumo).

As fixed up by the dealer in this manner, I very seldom run sound through the bike speakers, and almost always have MP3 player tunes coming in through the helmet speakers. I haven't activated the XM radio, but might very well do so sometime - we'll see.

Anyhow, there's another idea - it bypasses the radio (though it wouldn't necessarily have to - perhaps some sharp pencil can tell you how to keep that in the mix as well), uses either the bike speakers or the helmet speakers, and has you enjoying an MP3 player.

Saw your other post on the Harleys - really don't know much about them - kinda hard to tell much looking at them in the rear view mirrors - getting smaller and smaller. :D
4K-7K is definitely the "happy place" for the RT when you wanna let out a little shaft.

Best, John

Beautiful! Great ideas.. I haven't really worn helmets too much.. Not wise, but no law down here.. I think that may be the way to go..

·
Registered
545 Posts
jeffreyjames said:
Beautiful! Great ideas.. I haven't really worn helmets too much.. Not wise, but no law down here.. I think that may be the way to go..
No law here in the Hawkeye state either. However, you know, when you have one that fits well, it's really so pleasant. Shoei Multitech here. Flip-up offers full coverage, yet great convenience for on and off (especially with glasses), or even leaving it on but flipping it up for stopped conversation or the quick walk into the convenience store, etc. And you can flip just the shield up if you wish, rather than the whole front of the helmet. Topically, sailed past a few Harleys several weeks ago - the friendly wave as I passed each (yes, I used an appropriate number of fingers.... :D ). As a couple of the helmetless riders looked over to wave, they could only angle their heads over just a little - otherwise, them cool shades would have been...ghandi. Likewise, their faces didn't look pleasant from the wind.

And, then, of course, the speakers in the helmets - don't have to "blast" the sound, and can comfortably enjoy great music at all speeds.

And then, of course, when your head hits something....well, you know how that goes.

Best, John

·
Registered
214 Posts
A better wibdshield improves the audible quality of the stereo quite a bit.

That said, BMW should really invest in a more powerful unit with more capable speakers for the price they demand. It's one of the things I'd like to see addressed on future RT's.

So after a bigger windshield, you could also look into a small amplifier and better speakers, which a good shop that does stereo work for motorcycles should be easily able to handle.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
FWIW, my solution to listening to radio/MP3/Satellite is this:

I had the helmet speakers from my Autocom for a number of years, but always had ringing ears at the end of a ride because as the wind noise increased with speed, the volume had to be turned way up. I finally ordered some custom earplugs with speakers from iPlugz,

http://www.earinc.com/p2-iplugz.php

and changed the Autocom helmet wiring to the earphone plug-in harness version (no speakers at all) that I plug the earphones into. The net result is that I run the radios at minimum volume and have a much better audio quality, plus my ears no longer ring after a ride. :)

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,601 Posts
Sorry to change this subject a little. Since I may be replacing my totaled LT with a RT, my question is this. Does the RT have to have the radio option in order to listen to my xm receiver either through my autocom system, or maybe a J&M system? Not that many used RT's have the radio option.
My concern is my existing autocom is wired through the LT's radio, and I had the cassette adapter for the xm radio. Will the xm just plug directly into the autocom or J&M system? I am not concerned about having a radio or external speakers as I will listen to everything through my helmets speakers.
Thanks everyone!

·
Premium Member
2,697 Posts
I am going to depart from my "normal" mild mannered facade and state for the record... just my own views.

1. If there was a radio on the bike I was looking at... I would take it out. The radio box is way too handy for carrying the stuff I like to carry... and

2. I would never, under any normal circumstance ride without a helmet. My head is too important, and I use it most everyday. Also, for what it is worth, I wear protective gear... all the time. Road rash is a bitch.

3. If you want sounds... install an Autocomm system. My passenger and I have Microphones and earphones in our helmets. We have full-duplex Intercom, AM/FM/Weather band radio, Kenwood Bike-to-Bike radio, Zumo 550 with Navigational prompts and 4GB of MP3 plus the cell phone bluetooths to the zumo and we have full send/receive phone- even at highway speeds.

... if you don't like wires running to your helmet the new Bluetooth headsets are working very well.

just my $0.02

1 - 11 of 11 Posts