BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been researching lifts and came across this one. With Amazon Prime it's $174.00 including shipping & Tax. I have very limited garage space and have no room for a drive up or ramp type lift. I realize the lift pads may get in the way of some things but my main concern is will it lift the bike safely and without damaging anything. Any other options are welcome! Thanks!

OTC 1545 Motorcycle Lift at Amazon

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
Ummmm- no!

You can't use this type of lift with an LT. The center stand and exhaust system get in the way.

You will have to go with a table lift. Many on the board use the Harbor Freight Cheapo version
version others prefer the Handy Lift .

The Harbor Freight can be purchased for under $300 with a coupon:

You will have to spend an additional $40 to buy the HF better chock.

The Handy Lift is about $500

Neither lift should be shipped due to the weight- it costs too damned much.

In th enext month or so, I plan on going the HF model.

·
Registered
747 Posts
I have a lift like it. I would not put my LT on it even if you could.

I have a friends HD on it an I am leary of taking that up to full extention'

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
tonygret said:
I have been researching lifts and came across this one. With Amazon Prime it's $174.00 including shipping & Tax. I have very limited garage space and have no room for a drive up or ramp type lift. I realize the lift pads may get in the way of some things but my main concern is will it lift the bike safely and without damaging anything. Any other options are welcome! Thanks!
Not just no, but HELL NO! Use a lift table, or put a comfy pad on the ground and work from there.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Tony, it would seem that even if you could lift the bike using that lift you wouldn't be able to reach anything because it interferes with the center are underneath the bike.

Have you considered leaning or standing one of the table lifts against a wall when not in use?

Loren

·
Registered
837 Posts
Take it from an old LT owner, don't use a sub-standard lift like the one you are looking at. The LT and a few other bikes have a strange undercarriage that doesn't bode well for those types of jacks. The LAST thing you want to have happen is your LT falling off the thing. Keep an eye on EBAY, sometimes you can come up with a really nice used Handi Lift for a good price. For a while I parked my truck over my Handi-Lift as there was enough clearence to do this. There is another company that makes a fold-up drive on lift that works ok, but I can't recall the name. They also make fold up motorcycle trailers. Good Luck.....Rick H.

·
Premium Member
7,876 Posts
Ric said:
... For a while I parked my truck over my Handi-Lift as there was enough clearance to do this. ...
+1.

I was going to suggest the same thing. A creative solution to a straightforward problem (i.e., no room for a table lift).

Get yourself a good table lift. Every time you use it you'll be glad you did. And then you'll start finding other reasons to use it: lawn mower maintenance, sorting stuff in the garage, folding laundry... :)

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
That type of lift just will not work on the LT, period. There is no lower frame for it to lift. Once you get the plastic fairings off, you will see that there is nothing but engine, transmission, etc., no straight, even frame rails like on a Harley.

One COULD possibly make several pieces to bolt onto the lift rails that would engage sufficiently strong points on the underside of the LT, but then you could not work on much of anything, because most of the work where a lift can be a help (it is NEVER a necessity) would require removal of something that the lift is attached to. That lift is pretty narrow, even if you could make it work, there would be a LOT of weight hanging off each side of it. Can you spell extremely dangerous?

I still cannot quite fathom why some feel that you cannot do much work on the LT without a lift. I had my transmission out more than once, and the complete engine once, never felt that a lift was worth the expenditure for the times I would use it. Then you have to store it 95% of the time you own it.

I pulled the swing arm and replaced the drive belt and pulleys on my son in law's Harley once, no lift needed then either. All that in my mid 60's. If I can crawl around on the floor, and sit on a mechanic's roller stool and do all that work at my age, why would I "Need" a lift? Doing all the work on my LT I did, I could see where the lift would actually be in the way part of the time, kinda reducing the joy of the times it helped.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That Handy Lift sure looks nice but I dont see it anywhere for under $1000.00. Regardless, I simply have no room for it unless I convince the wife to park outside from now on. I have been servicing the LT on the ground and now with 2 bikes and some friends asking for help I was looking for something I could store easily. I guess I will go to HF and see if thier lift can be easily stored or try listing the wife on Ebay.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
If finances are not an issue you can have a rectangle cut in your garage floor and recess the lift into the floor enough for the wife's car to drive right over it, leaving just the wheel chock exposed. You only lose 4 inches of lift and will never regret getting the lift.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts