BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was going to order the BMW K1200LT Factory Repair Manual for my bike. Luckily I didn't as I just noticed it was for 1999-2003 & mine is a 2005.
Is the manual available for 2005's yet? If it is, what type of quality is the manual itself? It's not just a big parts list, is it? Does it discuss any troubleshooting or procedures? Does it cover disassembly and proper setup?
It's not very easy to return open software and of course the vendor will recommend it, so I'm asking any users of the software.
Thanks for any help.
Ed

·
Registered
5,408 Posts
edonthenet said:
what type of quality is the manual itself? It's not just a big parts list, is it? Does it discuss any troubleshooting or procedures? Does it cover disassembly and proper setup?
In my opinion, if you are going to do any substantial DIY work on the bike, it's essential, mostly for the illustrations. It has a substantial, well-laid-out content, i.e., it is not a waste of money.

I would say the same thing for the electrical schematic (a *&^%! separate item!).

As to availability, I would prefer to buy the CD from Motobins in the UK for $40, rather than $125 here (as I did for my '00 manual), however, as of a month ago, Motobins still didn't have the '05 version. I have the older manual, which covers 80%+ of the '05s, so I'm biding my time until Motobins gets it in.

·
Registered
6,285 Posts
I bought the Motobins CD, printed it out and put it in a BIG binder. The CD now resides on my bike at all times with my owners manual.

The manual is worth every nickel, it can literally save you thousands of dollars over the lifetime of the bike in mechanic's fees - especially for easy to do routine maintenance.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,176 Posts
Yes the 05 manual is available BMW part no 01790309672. I got mine through Chicago BMW $108 delivered. I did not have a manual for the previous years.

It is not a Clymer, but it has all the essential steps for a well versed mechanic to make it through. Some skills are required as it is not significant in detail. But all the order of disassembly/assembly and what needs to be removed for access is there as well as lubricants and torque values. I don't think the 05 peculiar wiring diagrams are out yet.

·
Registered
190 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies. Just ordered one from Chicago BMW.
Hope they were only kidding me with "MOST ORDERS WILL SHIP WITHIN 7-10 BUSINESS DAYS FROM THE DATE OF YOUR ORDER". I want it now! :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
You would also find the Paul Sayegh videos helpful. They are also for the prior years but are universal enough to include a substantial percentage of your motor. It's also really nice to see some of the things done - valve clearance check and fuel filter replacement pop immediately to mind.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Anybody who gets a new 05 manual

and wants to sell there older manual, I would be interested in buying it.
thx
larry

·
Registered
574 Posts
Goldmine

If you plan to do your own maintance...get the manual or Paul's videos.
If you plan to do your own repairs...gotta have the manual.

I just walked in from the garage...installed new front and rear shocks. It would NOT have been possible without the manual. The front shock is like solving a puzzle to get the old one out and the new one in.

I promise you, I've saved at least $3K so far just because of this reference. I have it printed in a HUGE binder and it sits on the workbench while I try to figure out what it's telling me to do and then do it. The manual has all the specs, all the fluids and capacities, and all the torques.

·
Registered
210 Posts
I have an older one

Stoker100 said:
and wants to sell there older manual, I would be interested in buying it.
thx
larry
Hey in case you didn't get it yet, I have a near-brand new (only inserted in a drive 2x) K1200LT repair manual, PN 01 79 0 148 377, shows copyright 2002. I will sell it for $50 via PayPal including postage in the US. I have a 2005 LT, and didn't realize there was a newer one. The CD case has a slight crack in the face, was like that when I purchased it (was glad to get it). Will send out as soon as I get payment.

OB

·
Registered
59 Posts
atps1234 said:
Hey in case you didn't get it yet, I have a near-brand new (only inserted in a drive 2x) K1200LT repair manual, PN 01 79 0 148 377, shows copyright 2002.
PM'd on the CD you have for sale.

·
Registered
607 Posts
Check Ebay!

I did a search on Ebay and found one for .... $5!
I figured it had to be a copy, was bogus, was written in every language except English, but for five bucks it was worth a chance. Guess what? It was a factory CD. I did buy the wiring diagram manual full price.

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
It is very hard to believe you got an ORIGINAL BMW factory CD for $5! they usually go for at least $35-40.

Just about every one on eBay is an illegal copy. Some of the thieves are even copying the lable and sticking it on now, but most just send you a burned CD with writing on it.
If yours has a paper label, it is a copy. Now with the HP LightScribe CD writers you can even burn the labels.

eBay is overrun with illegal copies of CDs being sold, and they don't care, in spite of their "rules" against illegal copies of copyrighted material.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I got a Clymer manual for my 2000 lt thru JP cylces, $40 plus $8 for shipping, seems to have everything in it I need so far. I have only owned my bike for a couple of months and will need it to repair road kill damage to the front end.

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
BMW RepRom thru Chicago BMW costs...108.00/ea plus shipping. Normal list is 135.00 ea. I have an 05+ RepRom for sale, have it in the classifieds for 100 bux, but Id take 75 shipped to your door. (add 5 bux if ya wanna Paypal to cover their stinkin fees)

F

·
Registered
160 Posts
You can download the complete manual for free from the net.
I think it is the original manual, but still very useful.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts