BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just purchased a 99 K1200LT and it needs to have the luggage rack installed on it. I was wondering how and where to wire it once I install it on the rear of the bike. Any help would be appreciated... :bmw:

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,456 Posts
dpcrxone said:
I just purchased a 99 K1200LT and it needs to have the luggage rack installed on it. I was wondering how and where to wire it once I install it on the rear of the bike. Any help would be appreciated... :bmw:
David - I just clicked on the fifth *similar thread* listed below your post and came up with this. Hope it helps.

Best

·
Registered
579 Posts
On a 99 LT the wires are behind the trunk inside white dome light, to power the rack brake light. The light will pry out of the plastic trunk liner to gain access.

·
Registered
538 Posts
My 99' did not have the wire in the light so I tapped into it behind the left rear speaker. Very easy to get at.

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
Dochatley said:
My 99' did not have the wire in the light so I tapped into it behind the left rear speaker. Very easy to get at.
My '99 had the wire but it was bundled up behind the left speaker and had to be fished though to the area behind the vanity mirror.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the info so far but I have another question. Some of you have stated that the wiring I will need is already in the top part of the case. Is that the proper wiring for the brake light? I just want to make sure before I go and drill to install this OEM luggage rack. Again thanks for everyones assistance in solving this probllem for me... :bmw:

·
Registered
579 Posts
Here is a photo of where I found the wires to power the rack brake light. It is from an old post of mine. http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=4067
They were folded back with tape and had to be fished out of the area where the trunk mirror light wires are. The pre-installed connectors may or maynot be compatable. I had to solder mine, but I did not use the bill of material rack. Barnett

1 - 7 of 7 Posts