1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There once was man who was humble
Who wants an RT but fumbles
His wife says with a grin, with her tonic and gin
When the kids are out of college, you remodel my bathroom, paint the house, plant a new yard, pay off the RV, and buy me a new ring…
Then you can have your @#$%@#$^ RT!
It does not rhyme but it sure does describe the conversation I keep having…

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
I'd start with some navy recruiting pamphlets and selling the RV. :wave

·
Registered
285 Posts
Can you bargain? Barter? Beg?

My wife did not approve of my riding for the first 35 years! (felt like a prison term! LOL!)

But I'm not advising you of any action. You know her best. Life goes on... but it sure is nicer on an RT...

tsp
Blog: www.swriding.blogspot.com

·
Registered
79 Posts
Women, women ....everywhere the same. Always complicated.

I will quote what a mate from another forum said. The lady should give a RT to her husband for his 40th burthday . As a preventive measure that her husband doesn't run of with some young chick. Then when he is already well experienced, will ride with him all over America or Europe. But this rarely happens.

Kids, RV, bathroom, paint, house...all is good however some things require physical conditions and could be practice up to some age. This is the life...At certain age there is no time to postpone the things from the bucket list.

You know your wife and surely you could persuade her to combine the requirements with your hobby....no advises here....

·
Registered
421 Posts
Their once was a man in despair,
Who couldn't seem to grow a pair.
Then after taking advice from me
He went out and bought that RT,
Now he rides all day long without a care...because his wife left him for buying a bike without her permission and his kids don't speak to him any more since they now have to earn their own money for college. :D

·
Registered
1,229 Posts
150flyer said:
Their once was a man in despair,
Who couldn't seem to grow a pair.
Then after taking advice from me
He went out and bought that RT,
Now he rides all day long without a care...because his wife left him for buying a bike without her permission and his kids don't speak to him any more since they now have to earn their own money for college. :D
Sounds like a Fairy tale! :rolleyes:
But I would run with it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have married a woman who had an issue with my riding. Had my wife not enjoyed riding and respected my love for it, she wouldn't be my wife.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Yeah I never understood the I have to check with my wife, SO thing.
You're an adult, if you want one get one or take her fishing in the bay.

·
Registered
79 Posts
05Train said:
Maybe it's just me, but I wouldn't have married a woman who had an issue with my riding. Had my wife not enjoyed riding and respected my love for it, she wouldn't be my wife.
Correct, I agree. But the problem is when the hobbies appear later. I decided that I want to ride a bike 18 years after my marriage. Thats too long time and I really did not have an idea what will happen. I however suceeded to persuade my wife that we have to change something in our hoilidays, to do something new that will keep us young. For my suprise she accepted the idea and after some years we started spending our main holiday on the motorcycle. :)

Perhaps I am lucky, but this option also could be used....

·
Registered
415 Posts
buy an older cheaper RT and upgrade once she has sampled the wares or gift her the old one.

r

·
Registered
609 Posts
My wife and I used to ride back in the days when a 750 was a big bike. She was driving our car years ago and was hit by another car. No injuries but thought bikes were now too unsafe and would not ride with me. When I decided I would retire early, I started talking about wanting a new bike. I talked about taking trips and how great it would be for us to finally spend time together. Even took her to bike shows. She thought the Gold Wing was nice but was unsure about a sport touring bike. We finally went to the BMW dealer to look at RT's. She saw an LT and thought she would like to ride on one of those. We negotiated and finally I was forced to buy a brand new 05 LT. She insisted it be fully loaded. In the next three years we crossed Canada twice. In 2010 I said I would like something lighter and a little sportier. She said that she didn't think she wanted to make any more long trips. So I now have a 2010 RT which we both greatly enjoy. The new bikes happened because she knew how important riding is to me and because marriage is more give than take.

·
Premium Member
1,490 Posts
05Train said:
When I met my now wife, our first date was putting her on the back of my Honda CB550 and riding from Indianapolis to Madison, IN for the hydroplane races (stock seat, BTW). Had an awesome time and decided right then and there this was my partner for life. That was 34 years ago. :D

·
Registered
350 Posts
pickerbiker said:
When I met my now wife, our first date was putting her on the back of my Honda CB550 and riding from Indianapolis to Madison, IN for the hydroplane races (stock seat, BTW). Had an awesome time and decided right then and there this was my partner for life. That was 34 years ago. :D
A year or so ago, my wife was telling some friends of ours about the first time I took her out on the bike, and how nervous I seemed. You should have seen the look on all of their faces when I mentioned that I would have broken up with her on the spot had she not enjoyed it.

Luckily, that was the day she decided she wanted to marry me.

·
Registered
33 Posts
How to sell an RT......Tell her about all the romantic getaways that you will be able to take her on (but probably wont) and how lovely it would be to ride along the ocean and take in the fresh air (Even though you live in Nebraska;) and last but not least, Tell her how great the gas mileage is on a new RT.
This how I did it. Please note, I have a college educated blonde so it was..."somewhat" easy to fool her. :histerica

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
What a sad tale....

I think I'll go ride...

John

·
Registered
2,779 Posts
On a more serious side of this, many years ago my wife took notice of a mother and daughter killed by a dump truck running a light. Ever since then, her feelings have been that life is short, do whatever you want. She is always checking with me if I want a new bike. I am the one saying no. You only get one go around. Each day you don't ride is one less ride.

·
Registered
729 Posts
When you guys roll over do you get a treat?

I've been married 28 years and that's due to love and respect not fear, manipulation, or guilt.

Good Luck

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
My wife used to ride with me all over California and the southwest in the Honda days BK (Before Kids). I fondly remember the days of a weekend in the mountains being two saddlebags, a luggage rack and a paper sack of milk, bread and beer on the lap.

Five years ago we had a really nasty bicycle crash and she ended up being flown off in a MedEvac chopper (not a pleasant thing to see your best friend airlifted to a Level I trauma center, believe me). 98+% recovery after a lot of time, surgery and neurorehab. Nowadays she tolerates me riding but won't set foot onto the motorcycle, and she rides a bicycle much less. Something about having done her penance to head injury. I understand but don't necessarily agree, but that's the sort of compromise you learn after 40 years together.

She may be regaining her humor. She told me the other day that I don't get to get a new motorcycle until she gets a new car (with a 12-year old Honda Accord, she's probably due). Funny thing, I wasn't talking about a new motorcycle, and I really don't want one. But at least we're past the "enjoy it, that's the last damn motorcycle you'll ever buy".

JayJay

·
Registered
609 Posts
New2rt said:
When you guys roll over do you get a treat?

I've been married 28 years and that's due to love and respect not fear, manipulation, or guilt.

Good Luck
Couldn't agree more BUT when I do roll over I do get quite a treat!

1 - 20 of 65 Posts