BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I've seen lots of questions about how to secure your mirrors and have been meaning to scan this picture in. Hope it helps.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
Yet Another Option...

Was at Home Depot yesterday, by the fastener section they have Velcro-brand ten-packs of "tie downs" in two different lengths, one is something like 10 inches, the other 16-inches or so. I bought one set of each, they are great for keeping electrical cords and stuff organized, and I thought...hmmmmmm, I wonder...

the 16" works GREAT as a mirror teather, doesn't appear that it will get brittle like zip-ties, easier to tuck in the excess, and I put TWO on as a back-up.

Just FYI

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
petevandyke said:
Was at Home Depot yesterday, by the fastener section they have Velcro-brand ten-packs of "tie downs" in two different lengths, one is something like 10 inches, the other 16-inches or so. I bought one set of each, they are great for keeping electrical cords and stuff organized, and I thought...hmmmmmm, I wonder...

the 16" works GREAT as a mirror teather, doesn't appear that it will get brittle like zip-ties, easier to tuck in the excess, and I put TWO on as a back-up.

Just FYI
Might you please post a pic of this, Pete?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Seattle said:
I've seen lots of questions about how to secure your mirrors and have been meaning to scan this picture in. Hope it helps.
My left mirror was secured just like that and I hit a pothole and the mirror popped off. The small plastic bridge broke off and the mirror hit the ground at about 45 mph.
The tethers now go behind all the plastic material and they will not break again.
I hope.

Lewis

·
Registered
225 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
a note

Cool. And just to clarify, that large piece is the nylon tether and the only piece which is plastic is at the very top, the very small nub which is the trimmed piece of zip tie fastening the looped nylon ends together.

The plastic is not touching the metal so if the mirrors do pop off, the plastic ties shouldn't take much of a load because the nylon will dampen it. Just make sure the zip ties are connected in the locked position so that they don't simply slip off under force!

Some people have also used multiple zip ties for redundancy and out of fear of them becoming brittle over time.

At any rate, this gives you an idea how to connect the mirrors. When I get my photoshop loaded back up I'll color code the parts to make it easier to decipher.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts