BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to travel 250 miles to pick up a rifle I've had on order and I'd like to ride my LT if I can figure out a way to secure it. No sling, so I can't "wear" it. Any suggestions?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,404 Posts
What caliber?
Only a rifle of the highest caliber can be transported on a LT. :histerica

Seriously, I'd just strap it athwartships across the rear seat (in some kind of case). It won't stick out that far....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,525 Posts
Don't know what kind of gun it is.. Does it break down any ? I could just take the barrel out of my UZI and throw it in the topcase...

Just put it in a case and strap it to the bike... :)

Hope Johnny Law is not feeling frisky on your way home... You don't want to loose it to a copper....

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
392 Posts
Might be a good ides to check with the powers that be in the areas you will be passing thru, as to the regulations on transporting a firearm. Would not like to see you forfeit it, as well as $$ and/or time in the grey bar motel.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,800 Posts
You could use this trip as an excuse to buy BMR Products' flatbed luggage rack - made especially for the K1200LT. PERFECT for all your light hauling needs! :cool:

"But honey, you want me to be SAFE, don't you? This is the best, safest way to transport things on the LT." :D

http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=005_K12Flatbed
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
224 Posts
I have done this several times. Just strap it on the back seat. Transporting it across state line is really no problem. I would not attempt to cross the borders into Mexico or Canada unless you have made prior arrangements an possess the correct paperwork . Just keep a copy of the bill of sales in the case. Store your ammunition in the side case and if you want to impress the authorities should they wish to examine the weapon...put a trigger lock on it. We have the right to bear arms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Should work with a long gun. Hand gun? Not so much.

Good one Charlie! :histerica

Loren

shuster said:
I have done this several times. Just strap it on the back seat. Transporting it across state line is really no problem. I would not attempt to cross the borders into Mexico or Canada unless you have made prior arrangements an possess the correct paperwork . Just keep a copy of the bill of sales in the case. Store your ammunition in the side case and if you want to impress the authorities should they wish to examine the weapon...put a trigger lock on it. We have the right to bear arms.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
hschisler said:
You could use this trip as an excuse to buy BMR Products' flatbed luggage rack - made especially for the K1200LT. PERFECT for all your light hauling needs! :cool:

"But honey, you want me to be SAFE, don't you? This is the best, safest way to transport things on the LT." :D

http://www.bmrproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=005_K12Flatbed
Um, for $315 you could almost have a harbor freight trailer setup. Just sayin'
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Make sure you have a current firearm owner's ID card or whatever might be required for the areas you'll be traveling through. Bill of sale wouldn't hurt either. Also, make sure any ammo is stored separately away from the weapon. Shouldn't have any problems.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,942 Posts
digitalsasquatch said:
Make sure you have a current firearm owner's ID card or whatever might be required for the areas you'll be traveling through. Bill of sale wouldn't hurt either. Also, make sure any ammo is stored separately away from the weapon. Shouldn't have any problems.


"firearm owner's ID card" ??? Chicago politics at work?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,334 Posts
PMitchell said:
"firearm owner's ID card" ??? Chicago politics at work?
Something like that. Dumbass law. Just another source of revenue. People from another state can just walk right in & purchase weapons/ammo, but Illinois people have to show the stupid card. wtf When you do purchase something they use the computer for a background check anyway...go figure
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
Everything I've had to carry except the lo-o-o-ong-barrel muzzle-loader fits in the Bushtec. :) Then it's under cover.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies. Made the run today; strapped it to the back seat; worked like a charm.

Ray
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,106 Posts
I'd have a sling, put it over my shoulder and make sure it was loaded and let em all know I meant business ! :histerica
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
495 Posts
Dont go into California until you check out all the details!!


shuster said:
I have done this several times. Just strap it on the back seat. Transporting it across state line is really no problem. I would not attempt to cross the borders into Mexico or Canada unless you have made prior arrangements an possess the correct paperwork . Just keep a copy of the bill of sales in the case. Store your ammunition in the side case and if you want to impress the authorities should they wish to examine the weapon...put a trigger lock on it. We have the right to bear arms.
 
1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Top