BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will probably feel silly, but I can't find on the board any information on how to change windshields. Mainly, how do you take the two chrome pieces off the front of the windshield to get to the screws without breaking anything. Thanks for your help and don't fuss too much because I did look in FAQ and Technical sections. Thanks in Advance :)
Leon
05 Blue LT

·
Registered
279 Posts
Easily done!

Remove the chrome covers by pulling on them; be sure to pull from the center or inside of each cover and they will snap right off. Just go in reverse to put them back on. Underneath the chrome covers are 2 screws for each side. That's it!

·
Registered
279 Posts
More specific removal instructions!

If you're standing directly in front of the windshield. Stand off to the left and pull the left cover towards yourself by grabbing from the inside right hand side of the left cover. On the right side, stand off to the right and pull the right cover towards yourself by grabbing from the inside left side of the right cover.

·
Premium Member
7,819 Posts
don't be alarmed...

In addition to what's already been said, don't be alarmed by the very loud "SNAP" the chrome covers make when you pull them off, and also when you put them back on. First time I changed my windshield I thought ".... uh ... what was THAT??!".

It's OK. It's normal.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the help. Now the decision of whether to order -1 or -2 #2 Cee Bailey windshield.
Leon
05 Blue LT

·
Registered
820 Posts
Be carefull when removing the tabs on the front of the windshied or you may also end up with some free blood blisters on yer fingers like i did when i replaced my front screen!!

·
Premium Member
288 Posts
Also use new rubber spacers and do not over tighten screws or you can crack the windshield. Don't ask how I know.

Jim Campbell
Grand Forks, ND

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
RideIt said:
Thanks for the help. Now the decision of whether to order -1 or -2 #2 Cee Bailey windshield.
One thing I didn't hear mentioned here...using the heel of your hand, push the chrome piece INWARD. Then using your fingertips, pull upward on the inside edge of the chrome pieces. Should come off with not a lot of effort. Also, make sure the shield is down all the way. Lastly, I'd advise than an extra pair of hands holding the shield provides a nice insurance policy. Especially the first time that you do it.

As for a -1" or -2"? Remember this...when comparing the CB #2 shield to the taller OEM shield; in order to get the same relative height, you would need to order a CB #2 -2.5". I have a CB #2 -2", and it's just a hair taller than the old stock shield from my 2002 LT.

Did your '05 come with the taller shield, or the lower 'Euro' shield?

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
Lzyellodog said:
Does the Cee Bailey or any new windshield really make that much of difference? I have the tall OEM windshield on my 05.

What advantages can be had with them?
There are days and days of information if you use the search feature...especially in the archived forum. Almost any thrid-party shield is going to be WAY clearer than the OEM shield. My Cee Baileys shield is simply awesome. Another advantage to the third-party shields is that you can choose different profiles that offer even better wind/rain protection...and less wind buffeting. I found the stock shield on my '02 to be rather annoying...especially the higher I raised it.

My advise would be to find someone locally that has a different shield and see if you like it. Or, go to CCR'06 or LT SPRING TRAINING CAMP II and checkout the many options in person.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks Joe,

I was reading the post and the questoin just kinda popped in my head. I was on a con call for work. Not sure I will get to CCR this year but what is LT Spring Training. Alright I will search for it.

I do find quite alot of buffeting and i have a sweet spot that I keep the OEM one at to reduce the wind buffeting.

There is soo much info it is almost overwhelming.

Jim

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
messenger13 said:
One thing I didn't hear mentioned here...using the heel of your hand, push the chrome piece INWARD. Then using your fingertips, pull upward on the inside edge of the chrome pieces. Should come off with not a lot of effort. Also, make sure the shield is down all the way. Lastly, I'd advise than an extra pair of hands holding the shield provides a nice insurance policy. Especially the first time that you do it.

As for a -1" or -2"? Remember this...when comparing the CB #2 shield to the taller OEM shield; in order to get the same relative height, you would need to order a CB #2 -2.5". I have a CB #2 -2", and it's just a hair taller than the old stock shield from my 2002 LT.

Did your '05 come with the taller shield, or the lower 'Euro' shield?
Mine came with the tall windshield and I'm 6'2" and sit tall in the saddle so I will need at least stock height.
Leon

·
Registered
4,905 Posts
RideIt said:
Mine came with the tall windshield and I'm 6'2" and sit tall in the saddle so I will need at least stock height.
Leon
My Cee Baileys #2 -2" is just a hair over stock height...and I love the profile and clarity! Below is a pretty nice pic of what the shield looks like. (And you get a sneak peek at what the LT looks like w/o the tour trunk too.)

·
Registered
48 Posts
I agree with Joe. Standing on the outside of the bike push the chrome covers inward with the butt of both hands and lift up with your fingernails on the inward edge. They pop right off.

As for the Cee Baileys. I bought mine at the BMW RA rally in Shelbyville. I am 5'10" tall. Tried the standard height type 1 --too high, tried the -2 type 1--aslo too high, tried the -4 type 2 with wings, absolutely perfect. The type 2 shape forces air higher while still maintaining a height I can still look over in the down postion. Really cut back on the turbulence from the stock '05 shield.

I am a big fan of Cee Bailey's quality. Their shield also did wonders on my VStrom.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Thanks to Joe, Ken and Jerrod for this old thread. The technique to replace a winshield was bang on. And once apart it is easy to see how incorrectly prying on the chrome covers could break them. Using this technique, it's pretty simple.

Cheers,
Gord

·
Registered
188 Posts
Joe,

".......As for a -1" or -2"? Remember this...when comparing the CB #2 shield to the taller OEM shield; in order to get the same relative height, you would need to order a CB #2 -2.5". I have a CB #2 -2", and it's just a hair taller than the old stock shield from my 2002 LT........." unquote.

Excellent and timely info for me. One can't beat having comparative info like this to help the decision making. Not my thread but Thanks! :bmw:

·
Premium Member
1,561 Posts
The windscreen screws have a habit of loosening from tiome to time and locktite can harm the material.
I use clear fingernail polish on the screws before installing and no probs.

·
Registered
17 Posts
It´s usefull to know how to replace the windshield when i get mine.

Just ordered CeeBaileys #2+2 with wings.
I´m 6´2" and like to ride on freeway with raised shield looking through. With my stock tall shield when i look over, it´s raised half way. That´s why i ordered the +2.
I will post as soon as i ride it first time.

·
Registered
269 Posts
STARFIGHTER said:
The windscreen screws have a habit of loosening from tiome to time and locktite can harm the material.
I use clear fingernail polish on the screws before installing and no probs.
I've read the Loctite No-No, but what makes you think that fingernail polish is safe?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts