BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to put my stock BMW windshield back on (the BMW tall version is going back for a refund).

Checked the owner's manual, searched articles here, and searched the forums. Found 1 brief comment about pulling the silver bracket covers off, from the inboard side. Need more details...

Just need to know how to get the windshield off with breaking/cracking anything.

TIA.

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
There is no more details. Grab the covers from the inboard side, yank them off & you will see the screws.

·
Registered
1999 LTC
14,458 Posts
hschisler said:
I want to put my stock BMW windshield back on (the BMW tall version is going back for a refund).

Checked the owner's manual, searched articles here, and searched the forums. Found 1 brief comment about pulling the silver bracket covers off, from the inboard side. Need more details...

Just need to know how to get the windshield off with breaking/cracking anything.

TIA.
As posted by JATownsend just several minutes ago:

Click here

·
Premium Member
7,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
OK guys, thanks.
I'm out to the garage to give 'er a go.

(thanks also for fast responses!)

(edited 18 minutes later:)
Done. That was easy. It was alarming to hear the sound the covers made when they came off (takes a good bit of pressure); same thing when they go back on. "SNAP!"

Could do it in 5 minutes next time.

First thing I've done to my LT. Now I need to take all the panels off and replace them with proper tightening procedure; hopefully this eliminates the rattling/vibrations I'm getting since it was in the shop.

Thanks all.

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
hschisler said:
OK guys, thanks.
I'm out to the garage to give 'er a go.

(thanks also for fast responses!)

(edited 18 minutes later:)
Done. That was easy. It was alarming to hear the sound the covers made when they came off (takes a good bit of pressure); same thing when they go back on. "SNAP!"

Could do it in 5 minutes next time.

First thing I've done to my LT. Now I need to take all the panels off and replace them with proper tightening procedure; hopefully this eliminates the rattling/vibrations I'm getting since it was in the shop.

Thanks all.
You will be lucky - it is a natural rattler. Thin draft excluder stuck in the areas that rub can help though.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Quote: Thin draft excluder stuck in the areas that rub can help though.

Right on. I've just had all the panel work off my 99 model. Several layers of firm sticky backed rubber strips cut to size went onto the front corners of my lower fairing where it used to vibrate against the upper fairing at idle.

The noise drove me nuts! Not any longer though. Worth the effort while everything is off.

BTW, it took me about 2 hours to remove all the panel work using nothing more than the key supplied with the tool kit.

Good luck

Barry
Brisbane
Australia

·
Registered
740 Posts
You've likely already done it by now, but be careful snapping those little silver devils back on. The small series of "fins" that secure the covers to the inboard side of the mounting plates can break off before you know it. Sort of on the order of that poorly designed little tab that snugs the silver covers on the tip over wings to the side panels on each side. I finally gave up on them. :(

1 - 7 of 7 Posts