BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
C-A-D said:
Well. Question in the subject.... How can you recognize the (just) worn out clutch plate? What are the signs if the clutch does not slip (yet) or are there signs?
Slips, mainly under load/hard accelleration in 5th.

Also, as it wears, seems to engage with the lever further out. Mine is to where there is less than a 1/2" range between engaged and disengaged.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
worn out clutch will slip starting at high rpms first - the 5th gear full throttle at highway speeds will show it

hydraulc clutches are self adjusting there should be no change in the lever (bike) pedal (car) point of engagement - the piston in the slave is spring loaded and stays out

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
gary45 said:
worn out clutch will slip starting at high rpms first - the 5th gear full throttle at highway speeds will show it

hydraulc clutches are self adjusting there should be no change in the lever (bike) pedal (car) point of engagement - the piston in the slave is spring loaded and stays out
Actually as the clutch wears the piston in the slave is pushed to the rear. In other words the release rod moves to the rear as the clutch wears. And the fluid level rises in the reservoir. Remember this clutch is backwards with the "flywheel" at the rear and the pressure plate at the front.

·
Premium Member
7,847 Posts
jzeiler said:
Actually as the clutch wears the piston in the slave is pushed to the rear. In other words the release rod moves to the rear as the clutch wears. And the fluid level rises in the reservoir. Remember this clutch is backwards with the "flywheel" at the rear and the pressure plate at the front.
True, but this shouldn't change the level position when the clutch engages. That should not be a function of fluid level ... unless the level is REALLY low. :)

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
Voyager said:
True, but this shouldn't change the level position when the clutch engages. That should not be a function of fluid level ... unless the level is REALLY low. :)
True, but I swear as mine wore out it would engage farther out on the lever as opposed to closer to the grip.

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
jzeiler said:
True, but I swear as mine wore out it would engage farther out on the lever as opposed to closer to the grip.
As mine is doing now...

·
Enjoy The Ride
K1300GT K1200LT
4,069 Posts
jzeiler said:
They do indeed engage farther out as they wear because they are not self adjusting.

·
Premium Member
3,108 Posts
I think it would likely change with wear as the slave cylinder is a larger diameter than the master cylinder to allow for the hydraulic fluid to multiply the leverage applied at the master cylinder. So as the rod pushes the slave cylinder closer to it's travel limit, it takes less movement of the slave to disengage the clutch. It's the equivalent of gear lash, only in hydraulics. In other words, there is less play between the clutch rod and the two surfaces it pushes on as the clutch wears.

·
Registered
1,022 Posts
does the position your front brake lever change where the brakes come on as the pads wear, not likely because the amount of fluid in the pipes and chambers has no bearing on the position - your hydraulic clutch is the same, the piston resides against the clutch rod and the piston in the master cylinder pushes on the hydraulic column exactly the same regardless of how much fluid there is - interesting, every hydraulic clutch I and my friends have ever had has been self adjusting - the clutch lever on my 2K engages the clutch at the same point I would adjust it to if it were a mechanical system

if the position were to change I would expect to find the piston in the slave was not moving as freely as it should

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
15,065 Posts
gary45 said:
does the position your front brake lever change where the brakes come on as the pads wear, not likely because the amount of fluid in the pipes and chambers has no bearing on the position - your hydraulic clutch is the same, the piston resides against the clutch rod and the piston in the master cylinder pushes on the hydraulic column exactly the same regardless of how much fluid there is - interesting, every hydraulic clutch I and my friends have ever had has been self adjusting - the clutch lever on my 2K engages the clutch at the same point I would adjust it to if it were a mechanical system

if the position were to change I would expect to find the piston in the slave was not moving as freely as it should
True but eventually the slave piston will be pushed all the way back and cannot displace any more fluid (mechanical stop). The lever adusts but now only a slight movement of the cylinder will release the clutch. Reslulting in a slight movement of the lever. Eventually the clutch becomes self releasing. Unlike a car where the piston on the slave goes outward drawing more fluid from the reservoir, the LT's piston moves aft pushing all the fluid out of the cylinder and into the reservoir.

Think what would happen if your brake pads got thicker as they wore out. Same effect.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts