BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a 12 year old LT and previous owner had dropped the bike twice as he is too old to balance it. During servvicing, I was told there are cracks to the fairings and I was wondering can epoxy or any other stronger compound can help? Paintwork is still good so I intend to do some restoration myself using paint restorer, polish n gloss... Instead of sending in for a full repo n repray. They will prolly just patch up casually n will crack again in no time :rotf:

·
Premium Member
4,886 Posts
You might check flea bay and/or other sources for used tupperware.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I have successfully repaired the fairing on my 85 K several times using a two part syringe epoxy specifically made for plastics. But, I did a total repaint of the repaired sections. If you want to just keep the cracks in place, from the backside, you will have to epoxy on a patch panel over the cracked area. Just 'smearing' epoxy over the crack on the back side won't work...BTDT.

For my repairs. I used a dremel tool and used the pointed grinding tip and carved a notch over the entire length of the cracks, and then drilled a small hole at the end of the crack to help stop the crack from continuing. Ground and roughed up the back side of the cracked area, applied a patch panel. Drilled holes in the panel before i applied it. Smeared alot of epoxy on the back side of the crack, and pressed the patch into the epoxy, squeezing the epoxy throgh the holes, then more epoxy over that and all around the edges. Then filled the front with epoxy and sanded it smooth. then repaint.

You could skip the front part of the repair if your panels line up nice and the crack isnt visible.

·
Premium Member
1,306 Posts
After a brief encounter with a deer, my LT suffered a crack on the inside fairing panel and a broken headlight anchor. I used epoxy and fiberglass cloth to repair and reinforce. That was 70k miles ago, so far so good.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.