BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 2008 Blue BMW K-1200-LT motorcycle, with around 3,700 miles, that I bought new (with about $3,500 worth of accessories) for $23,824. The accessories include two helmets with intercom/audio system, integral highway pegs, passenger floor boards, passenger arm rests, three pieces of soft luggage, tank bag, and BMW/Garmin GPS. The online Kelly Blue Book, before considering the low-mileage and accessories, shows $14,530 suggested retail. It has always been garaged and is in excellent shape. My reason for selling is...my wife has become deathly afraid of motorcycles and will not ride with me (which is funny considering she is fine flying with me). After two of our riding acquaintances lost their lives to distracted auto drivers, she WILL NOT change her mind.
Can anyone assist me with what would be a fair asking/taking price?
Thanks, Steve (Ocala, FL)

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
Start with NADA or Kelly blue book to get average price. Then check to see what Lt's are selling for in your area. Cycle Trader , Craigslist or other places like that will help on the price. The main thing is if you want to sell fast then price it just below the average price. If you not in a hurry to sell or "NEED" a "payoff" amount then ask more. I know this is not a "Clear" answer but prices very so much from area to area & to different parts of the country.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Steve,

NADA lists an '08 for $14,670. Between accessories and low miles....$1K more is reasonable.

Good luck..

JD

·
Registered
729 Posts
When I became interested in the LT the pricing was 12k for an 05 and rose 1k for each year newer. There seemed to be a 2k jump between 08 and 09 and they were listed at 17k
I would think due to still having a factory warranty.

That doesn't indicate that's what they are getting, just the listing price.

Accessories usually don't add a lot but it can sell the bike if someone is comparing the same model year and pricing.

The market is starting to flood with LT's due to the K1600 and the end of the riding season.

If I was to sell my 08 I would ask between 14 and 15 but that's not going to happen.
I finally found the perfect bike, 1600's be damned.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everyone for the feedback. Looking at other listings on cycletrader and considering my low miles and accessories, I guess I will ask $15,950 and be willing to come down some. Cheers, Steve.

·
Registered
3,232 Posts
Come down to OZ with it, I'll give you $15k..... :D
It'd probably be worth $25k over here...

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
You might consider finding a new riding partner and keep the bike. It has worked for me! My wife stays home or finds something fun for her to do while my passenger and I ride.

Works great for all concerned.

Loren

·
Registered
192 Posts
With all due respect, I see that you start by are reviewing what you paid for the equipment. That is totally irrelevant to the current sale price. Accessories also have little effect on the sale price and you would do better to strip off any farkles and sell them separately.

The K1200LT is an abandoned product in the BMW line and depreciation is building. If you really want to sell it, price it lower than your competition and move it out. $12,000 today beats the heck out of $7,000 three years from now.

·
Registered
635 Posts
Bob204bc said:
With all due respect, I see that you start by are reviewing what you paid for the equipment. That is totally irrelevant to the current sale price. Accessories also have little effect on the sale price and you would do better to strip off any farkles and sell them separately.

The K1200LT is an abandoned product in the BMW line and depreciation is building. If you really want to sell it, price it lower than your competition and move it out. $12,000 today beats the heck out of $7,000 three years from now.
This is what I was going to suggest. I have always come out more ahead by selling the farkles separately.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts