BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

How to mount a Zumo GPS on R1100RT

13K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  rolling18 
#1 ·
I've run into trouble trying to mount my new Zumo GPS on my R1100RT. The mount kit is for tube bars and won't fit the cast alum. bars of the RT. I don't like the GadgetGuy mount either. I would love to somehow mount the thing right below the key switch at the base of the bars.
jay

#2 ·
flyingjeep said:
I've run into trouble trying to mount my new Zumo GPS on my R1100RT. The mount kit is for tube bars and won't fit the cast alum. bars of the RT. I don't like the GadgetGuy mount either. I would love to somehow mount the thing right below the key switch at the base of the bars.
jay

Jay, Did you ever get this figured out? I just got a zumo for my R11RT. Frank

#6 ·
Go to the BMWST.Com forum and look up the mount by JakFrost. It is a custom machined aluminum mount with a RAM ball in the middle. it fits right over the steering head bolt and replaces the black cover (under the key). I have my 2720 mounted on it and it works great.

Attachments

#7 ·
I seen one guy use the bar mount that came with the Zumo. On the left bar there is a cutout and he use the bar mount there. At first it looked he had the bar machined but they all have the cutout. Cycle Gadgets also sells a RAM ball with an “R-A-M compatible* Hardware kit for mounting RAM-11M base to fork bridge area on BMWs with cast handlebars. Requires RAM-11M base. ” I have one but have not tried it yet.

#8 · (Edited)
OHRider said:
I seen one guy use the bar mount that came with the Zumo. On the left bar there is a cutout and he use the bar mount there. At first it looked he had the bar machined but they all have the cutout. Cycle Gadgets also sells a RAM ball with an “R-A-M compatible* Hardware kit for mounting RAM-11M base to fork bridge area on BMWs with cast handlebars. Requires RAM-11M base. ” I have one but have not tried it yet.
Touratech also has a Ram mount that uses a bolt and spacer to replace one of the stock bar to fork bridge bolts. I'm happy with it. There is enough adjustment to center the Zumo between the bars at an exceptable angle. Check a few threads back under 'Zumo spacer kit question' for more details and some pics.

#9 ·
mjordans2000 said:
Touratech also has a Ram mount that uses a bolt and spacer to replace one of the stock bar to fork bridge bolts. I'm happy with it. There is enough adjustment to center the Zumo between the bars at an exceptable angle. Check a few threads back under 'Zumo spacer kit question' for more details and some pics.

Anyone tried the Touratech locking Zumo mount? I Had one but the lever that pulled the locking cover down buzzed\vibrated so bad i sent the mount back.

#10 ·
I looked at one but decided even as robust as it is, it still leaves the GPS out in plain site. I could see a lot of extra damage to the bike resulting from attempts to pry it loose. I'll stick with the standard mount and remove it when I leave the bike. If the locking mount is noisy that would really kill it for me.

#11 ·
Hi all,
I do not have the Zumo but maybe this set of pictures will help you. Note that the round thing pressed into the clamp works but I hated looking at it when nothing was installed. I pulled it out and put in a chrome cap with a Roundel. Oh and as far as the mount ball goes, you can move it to whatever place you desire.

ED

Attachments

#12 ·
RT-Hollywood said:
Hi all,
I do not have the Zumo but maybe this set of pictures will help you. Note that the round thing pressed into the clamp works but I hated looking at it when nothing was installed. I pulled it out and put in a chrome cap with a Roundel. Oh and as far as the mount ball goes, you can move it to whatever place you desire.

ED
where do I go to find this mount?
Robert

#13 ·
Another approach: just mount a thin angled aluminum plate to the back (dashboard side) of your tank bag and velcro the GPS to that. It is closer to your eyes and when you need to go into a restaurant for lunch all you do is to disconnect your tank bag and everything of value goes with you. Done a bunch of miles with this system and it works well!

Gael

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.