BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

61 - 66 of 66 Posts

Registered
The only difference will be visual. The tiny weight is irrelevant, particularly when you still need to be able to do it with a pillion passenger.
Have you ever removed your top box and felt the weight of it. I don't consider it to be irrelevant. While I do agree that you need to be proficient at riding with a passenger there is something to be said for removing your top box to feel the difference. In case you have never removed your top box and felt the weight or indeed weighed it . The top box empty weighs 15 KG or in the old money 33 bloody pounds of plastic, speakers, rack, tail light, and seat back. It's a 33 pound pendulum sitting about level with the middle of your back. If you use your LT mostly for long haul trips and need the luggage then it's a blessing. If you mostly use it around town and do a lot of stop start and slow speed stuff it's a curse. If you say you can't feel the difference than let me drop that 33 pound on your foot and then tell me if you can feel it. 馃榿

Registered
Have you ever removed your top box and felt the weight of it?
Yes I have, as a result of seeing such drivel posted previously. There was NIL effect. If it makes someone feel safer to remove it, then they should do so of course. However for me, it is just a fad, in trying to find a scapegoat.

Registered
Yes I have, as a result of seeing such drivel posted previously. There was NIL effect. If it makes someone feel safer to remove it, then they should do so of course. However for me, it is just a fad, in trying to find a scapegoat.
I do enjoy a good bit of drivel from time to time. (y)

Premium Member
Have you ever removed your top box and felt the weight of it. I don't consider it to be irrelevant. While I do agree that you need to be proficient at riding with a passenger there is something to be said for removing your top box to feel the difference. In case you have never removed your top box and felt the weight or indeed weighed it . The top box empty weighs 15 KG or in the old money 33 bloody pounds of plastic, speakers, rack, tail light, and seat back. It's a 33 pound pendulum sitting about level with the middle of your back. If you use your LT mostly for long haul trips and need the luggage then it's a blessing. If you mostly use it around town and do a lot of stop start and slow speed stuff it's a curse. If you say you can't feel the difference than let me drop that 33 pound on your foot and then tell me if you can feel it. 馃榿
I tend to adhere to the old maxim 鈥淭rain like you fight so that you will fight like you trained.鈥 A good share of my riding is with my wife and 60 lbs of luggage in the cases and a a few more pounds in a bag on the top case rack. I have no desire to practice in an easier configuration. If anything, I would want to add an extra 100 lbs to practice with so that my normal configuration feels right. 馃榿

Reactions: DRONE

Registered
I tend to adhere to the old maxim 鈥淭rain like you fight so that you will fight like you trained.鈥 A good share of my riding is with my wife and 60 lbs of luggage in the cases and a a few more pounds in a bag on the top case rack. I have no desire to practice in an easier configuration. If anything, I would want to add an extra 100 lbs to practice with so that my normal configuration feels right. 馃榿
Yes building muscle memory is a bit like building muscle. It's always a good idea to push the envelope.

Premium Member
I tend to adhere to the old maxim 鈥Train like you fight so that you will fight like you trained.鈥 A good share of my riding is with my wife and 60 lbs of luggage in the cases and a a few more pounds in a bag on the top case rack. I have no desire to practice in an easier configuration. If anything, I would want to add an extra 100 lbs to practice with so that my normal configuration feels right. 馃榿
Absolutely! That is the main reason why, in the past, I had gotten into some arguments about always using the proper braking techniques as if you don't have semi-linked brakes, on our more modern bikes that do. Whatever you do all the time is what you will absolutely do in emergencies when you don't have the time to think!

Reactions: Voyager
61 - 66 of 66 Posts