BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a question for all of you K1200LT experts!
Considering the size of the beast what is the best way to get a passenger without having the pilot sweat like hell?
Wait wait wait, don't take the easy situation:
  • light, petite figure wife/gf/bf
  • flat ground
  • no gravels under your soles
  • nice tempered waether!
That is too easy!
Take the real life situation! I mean that K1200LT is a tourer for you and your favourite passenger:
  • loaded up to the top case
  • sunny day in southern europe
  • you AND the passenger are sweating in the leather (important it means it is sticky and goes against ample and easy movements :D )
  • the road is slightly downwards
  • there are plenty of little nasty gravels under your feet!

I would like to collect your comments and have a note/article in my blog on that topic as I often experience hairy (even though I am missing some) moments!

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
First and foremost... good boots with a lot of grip (lug soles)

Set your footing, check by applying outward pressure. (standing astride the bike)

Get a good grip on the bars and squeeze that front brake.

Look straight ahead.

Give her the okay to climb aboard.

Take the weight on one leg than the other.

It really helps if the passenger has experience and ability. They need to be able to mount quickly and smoothly... keeping their weight over the bike not to the side and mount in a smooth action, not hopping on the peg or grabbing your shoulder to pull up.

First and foremost... good boots with a lot of grip (lug soles)

Set your footing, check by applying outward pressure.

Get a good grip on the bars and squeeze that front brake.

Look straight ahead.

Give her the okay to climb aboard.

Take the weight on one leg than the other.

It really helps if the passenger has experience and ability. They need to be able to mount quickly and smoothly... keeping their weight over the bike not to the side and mount in a smooth action, not hopping on the peg or grabbing your shoulder to pull up.

Wife and I have had the LT on all kinds of surfaces, hills - sand – volcanic dust – gravel (I have a gravel drive and parking area that are not level) – even an occasional icy parking lot, and on the odd occasion if I’m not comfy I move to a better location before she boards.

·
Rider Journeyman
2,015 Posts
two methods

Method 1
Conditions: Terrain good to fair.
Bike on center stand.
Pillion mounts using driver's pegs and holding left handlebar grip.
Driver stands next to bike as "spotter".
When pillion seated and comfortable (assist with plug in items, comm, heater, etc.).
Driver steps on pegs on peg and mounts.
Start bike
Put in first gear.
Look down on both right and left side to confirm terrain and check for any "issues".
Get tap on should from pillion that they are good to go.
Rock forward off center stand.
Immediately apply front handbrake and stabilize.
If all is good, take off.

Method 2
Conditions: Terrain poor to very poor.
Bike on center stand.
Driver steps on pegs on peg and mounts.
Start bike
Put in first gear.
Look down on both right and left side to confirm terrain and check for any "issues".
Rock forward off center stand.
Immediately apply front handbrake and stabilize.
Pillion mounts using pillion pegs and holding left shoulder of driver.
When pillion seated, plugged in and comfortable.
Get tap on should from pillion that they are good to go.
If all is good, take off.

There are a couple of exceptions.
-If I have parked with the bike pointed fairly substantially uphill, I use method 2, but for the "rock off center stand will have the pillion give push on the top case.
-If we've used Method 1 and find it's just a bit too steep to rock off, I will stand up and make sure the bike is tilted back onto the rear wheel. Feathering the clutch just a bit and the bike will advance off the center stand.
-If the bike starts on the side stand, then use method 2.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Bayliner2052 has great advice.

When stopping look ahead and stop on "safe ground" if possible even if it's 100 yards from the group - I've done this many times, one of the first times I did this I watched 3 other bikes fall over.

Use the center stand until the passenger is on if possible.

I signal to Kaye that I am ready and she pats me on the shoulder when she is getting on or off. Never a problem. Kaye is a great passenger and knows not to go shifting her weight around without giving me a signal and waiting for a nod back from me.

Explain the rules to anyone you give a ride to and if they don't follow them cut the ride short and no more rides.

Dave

·
Registered
62 Posts
I prefer to stand up with the bike balanced, a nod of my head and the passenger mounts using the left footpeg, a tap on the shoulder is my signal that she is ready to motor.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Also, tell your passenger to stand as close to the bike as they can and keep their feet as close to the bike as possible when stepping on the pegs. Explain that they should keep their weight as close to the center of the bike as soon and quickly as they can when getting on. And if you are nervous about it, remind them every time.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
drive off

The passenger gets on first with centerstand down
I get on
make sure she is ready
put in gear
wheel straight
in gear
just drive off
No rocking no fuss.
Works every time except in HEAVY gravel

Zeke

·
Registered
99 Posts
I always wondered if that would be a good plan to just drive forward off the centerstand....

·
Registered
1,893 Posts
danbrew said:
nothing wrong with riding the bike 10 or 20 ft down the road to find a better spot to mount/dismount.

:)
yup. if it is hilly or there is gravel i would ride solo to a more secure locale, if possible.

·
Registered
820 Posts
My suggestion is if you cant ride to a suitable close location for better grounding, then try and get the bike in to a part of the road using the reverser/whetever to get the bike on as level ground as possible.

if need be, get off the bike if there is gravel where you boots are going to be and try and scuff the ground with the soles of your boots and get as much of it out of the way to get better grip when you do sit on the bike.

·
Premium Member
123 Posts
I think Dan brings up a key point. Parking, mount/dismount,U-turn.. If it doesn't look or feel right don't do it, look for a better location regardless of your experience or capability level. It isn't worth putting your passenger, yourself or bike in jeopardy...

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,252 Posts
Well now after reading all these posts I feel like the odd man out. Jean and I have used the same technique since 1975. I get on first, bike started. Hold brakes, put down SIDE stand but hold the bike at angle (no load on the stand, just a stopper for the angle) she mounts only when I give her the head nod. I guess it just works for us.

·
Registered
199 Posts
Passenger Mounting tips

My wife and I have ridden our various bikes a lot of miles... probably over 100K and bikes have never gone down in the process of her getting on... including LT.

I always have her mount from the left side, after I am on the bike and have a firm footing.
I have the sidestand extended as a backup in case the bike wants to lay down (bike in 1st gear).
She mounts while extending her head and upper body over the bike and left hand on my shoulder just for some stability confidence. One smooth move up and into the pillion.
As I feel her start to mount, I just automatically apply additional pressure on the handle bars (up on left, down on right) to keep the bike centered, so it never gets the chance to get far enough that it of over-balanced to the left.
When seated and centered, I pull in the sidestand and start the engine and off we go.

By the way, if the terrain, footing etc doesn't feel good to me, I will move forward to a better spot before letting passenger on.

I'm sure this isn't right for everyone, but it seems to work for us and I really don't think it is any more difficult on the LT than on our first Honda CB500 fully dressed.

Hope this helps.

·
Registered
115 Posts
riderup1 said:
I always wondered if that would be a good plan to just drive forward off the centerstand....
If its got tits or an engine you're gonna have trouble with it

If it has tits or wheels it's gonna give you problems.

Pete aka Murray

·
Registered
87 Posts
My wife used to do a little jump when she got on the back - that was NOT a good thing! I agree with the rest of the posts, both feet down, front brake on, give her the go ahead to board by putting her left foot on the peg raising up and climbing on.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts