BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all

I wanted to do the mod to the LEDs on the luggage rack so they were on as running lights and brightened up to full with the brakes. That job went really well...until I closed the topbox lid!

I took the switched power from the light inside the topbox...forgetting that the power goes off when the lid closes! D'OH!!!!

Anyway, I now will take the power off the rear accessory socket.

I need to run this wire from the socket up to where the topbox light is.

My question: How do I separate the liner from the lid? I removed all visible screws (four big ones and a bunch of little ones) but the liner seemed stuck solid. I've got both Clymer and BMW manuals but nothing in there.

I got to the stage where the "armrests" were loose but not comp,etely off. Are there aother attachments from inside there?

Thanks in advance to the collective wisdom.

Cheers

Joe

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I believe there is a wire inside the vanity and taped right down the bottom were the manual lurks, that you take the power from

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's where I took the power from in the first place but the switch cuts the power off when the lid goes down.

I want to run the new power cable in between the lid and the liner and up to where the light is.

Cheers

Joe.

·
Registered
607 Posts
I recently installed a hot wire for 12v charger port in the trunk.

I removed the seats and left rear speaker. I snaked a coat hanger from the area of the speaker to the area of the owner's manual storage. I had to drill a hole to get the wire out, but it was doeable.

Since nothing inside the trunk is visible, it makes it much easier to modify.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have a look at your method this afternoon.

Alternatively, I can connect to the live side of the trunk-light switch but I still need to split the liner from the actual lid to get to the switch wiring...:-(.

Thanks for the info.

Regards

Joe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Problem solved! Thanks for the idea Glenn. I did as you suggested and the lights work as planned and I also put a cigarette lighter socket on the same circuit to allow charging cellphones etc. This socket lives in the owner's manual compartment.

However, I still don't know if the lid can be separated from the liner...for future reference :)

Cheers

Joe

·
Registered
3,525 Posts
Thanks everybody for answering his question... :wave

I don't believe the liner can be removed from the topbox lid.. It's ultrasonically welded in place ...
Or glued... But I don't believe it's to be removed... You'd probably destroy the lid trying to get it out...

John

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I had a real close look at the screw holes etc and you're right. It appears to be glued/welded.

Oh well...

I just used the existing channels and tunnels to run the wires through and all is good.

Thanks to all for replies.

Cheers

Joe

·
Registered
9 Posts
Underneath the gasket is a bead of silicone. After removing all the screws for the heated backrest & speaker panels, the silicone is all that holds it together. It's moulded to fit the lid and doesn't come apart easy. Prying the inside away from the outside and cutting the silicone with and exacto knife was my approach.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for this info. I'll keep it in mind the next time I have occasion to dismantle the lid again.

Cheers

Joe

1 - 10 of 10 Posts