BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Windscreen has lots of scratches. But is good.

Can I use the stuff that you use to clean the headlights on a car ? It has a smooth sander to make the surface smooth and then you polish it. Both are for plastics.

Or is there something better or different to remove the scratches.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
You have a tough deal on your hands. Maybe a new aftermarket shield would be an answer or an okay one on EBay. I read an interesting article stating to use only up and down strokes while washing a windshield. Of course tons of soap and water to keep from scratching it. Sideways and round strokes lead to micro scratches that show. I have used many plastic polishes and some help, at this point why not try everything, it is already in trouble.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If you have the OEM W/S you're probably out of luck. BMW has always used hard coated polycarbonate for their factory W/S and these are not really polish-able (because of the coating). You might be able to find a take-off somewhere.

·
Registered
2,957 Posts
frankf said:
If you have the OEM W/S you're probably out of luck. BMW has always used hard coated polycarbonate for their factory W/S and these are not really polish-able (because of the coating). You might be able to find a take-off somewhere.
So correct! I hated to mention that but at this point maybe it does not matter any more. That is why I suggested the posibility of a nice fresh windscreen. The factory unit is way too expensive in my opinion though.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts