BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone have any advice on how to change the front and rear brakes on a 2003 K1200LT? I do brakes on my truck and car all the time, just looking for a brief primer on tools needed and steps/precautions to take. Seems like the dealer charges so much! Thanks for anyone's help!

·
Premium Member
1,743 Posts
clanmclain said:
Does anyone have any advice on how to change the front and rear brakes on a 2003 K1200LT? I do brakes on my truck and car all the time, just looking for a brief primer on tools needed and steps/precautions to take. Seems like the dealer charges so much! Thanks for anyone's help!

Actually a very easy job.

This is a write-up I did a couple years ago, based on the BMW shop manual. You can replace the pads without taking the calipers off, but if you want to be thorough and fully clean the pistons and do a full inspection of the goodies inside, it's the best way to go. Fronts work the same way. Only step that I left out that I'd HIGHLY recommend is getting some stop squeal and putting it on the BACK of each new brake pad before installing, particularly the rears which are notorious for squealing. This is the stuff I use, about $4 at Pep Boys or Autozone.

Attachments

1 - 2 of 2 Posts