BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
A few LT riders and myself are in the process of replacing a clutch on my 05 LT. That said, the parts are here and next weekend we are going to be putting everything back together again. That said, I heard I need to have some type of clutch alignment tool to make the process keeping the clutch's "friction plate" from "floating down" until we bolt the clutch plates to the bell housing.

Here is a link to view my clutch alignment tool: http://k.b5z.net/i/u/6035286/i/Clutch_alignment_tool.jpg

Looking at my options, yesterday I decided to pay Home Depot a visit to buy two dowels; One that fit through the friction plate itself and one that fit through the "spring". Based on what I could find, I invested $3.87 for two dowels 4 feet in length. And once I got home, I drilled a hole dead center of the largest dowel and then inserted the smaller one. You will also note that the dowel is a tad smaller than the inside diameter of the friction plate. To solve this issue, I wrapped the dowel with three of so turns of blue painter's tape. By the way, you probably have enough (dowels) to build 6 clutch alignment tools.

Although I cannot tell you for fact that my clutch alignment tool will work, but it looks like it will get things close enough to align things up until I bolt down the clutch plates.

Glenn

P.S. There is a good chance that I need to clip down the smaller dowel as it looks too long for the job -- I will just wait until I get into the job to do that part.

·
Registered
637 Posts
Yes it will probably work just fine to get it assembled. But I suggest frequently pulling in the clutch as the transmission-engine bolts are being tightened so that any minor residual alignment error will be relieved rather than show as alignment error due to a stressed clutch housing.

I wonder if deformation due to locked-in stress in the housing just might be part of the nagging spline life problem w BMWs. :wave

·
Registered
1,330 Posts
May well do just fine. Have you called your local dealer(s)? One of mine loans tools to customers. That's the best of both worlds. The use of a quality tool without spending a small fortune.

·
Registered
493 Posts
You can just use the clutch push rod and slide a 3/8" drive deep socket over it with the right outer diameter to fit the clutch splines. Works fine. No trip to Home Depot. No new tool to store and keep track of. Cost $0.00

Here's another thread as well.
http://www.bmwlt.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61406

Good luck,

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dan great suggestion for the tool itself. I never thought of it -- looks like your idea would would work nicely too.

Glenn

·
Registered
40 Posts
Nicely done. On two occasions (in a pinch with car/truck) I have used a long 3/8" extension and black electrical tape. :D

1 - 9 of 9 Posts