BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The handlebars on my 2000 LT hit the tank on a tight turn.....Im thinking that they must be adjustable for height. Can someone refer me to a link to the procedure? I've got the handlebar covers off,...trying to remove the cover around the ignition switch,.....have the four screws off....but it doesn't want to come off.......Im guessing that the plastic around the radio area must all come off before the piece around the ignition switch will come off.

Brian

·
Registered
14,452 Posts
wildwestrider said:
The handlebars on my 2000 LT hit the tank on a tight turn.....Im thinking that they must be adjustable for height. Can someone refer me to a link to the procedure? I've got the handlebar covers off,...trying to remove the cover around the ignition switch,.....have the four screws off....but it doesn't want to come off.......Im guessing that the plastic around the radio area must all come off before the piece around the ignition switch will come off.

Brian
Click here and scroll down for the FAQ on how to adjust the handlebars.

I'm not liking the fact that your handlebars touch the tank in a turn. Touching a tankbag, maybe, butt not the tank itself. My understanding wuz that the handlebar adjustment procedure is only for 'raising' the bars slightly; not lowering. I believe I'd drop by Lone Star and ask Mike G. if he has seen any LTs that evidence the bars hitting the tank.

And I do believe you have to remove the radio stingray in order to remove the surround of the ignition switch - or at least move the stingray back some toward the seats.

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
Dick said:
Click here and scroll down for the FAQ on how to adjust the handlebars.

I'm not liking the fact that your handlebars touch the tank in a turn. Touching a tankbag, maybe, butt not the tank itself. My understanding wuz that the handlebar adjustment procedure is only for 'raising' the bars slightly; not lowering. I believe I'd drop by Lone Star and ask Mike G. if he has seen any LTs that evidence the bars hitting the tank.

And I do believe you have to remove the radio stingray in order to remove the surround of the ignition switch - or at least move the stingray back some toward the seats.
Dick is right on and I would add to scribe or mark with white-out where they were prior to adjusting. You can only change the angle not the heigth.

·
Premium Member
3,872 Posts
SmokinJoe said:
Dick is right on and I would add to scribe or mark with white-out where they were prior to adjusting. You can only change the angle not the heigth.
Huh :confused: "You can only change the angle not the heighth" :confused:

·
Premium Member
3,549 Posts
The handle bars rotate in their clamps.

I think some one would have to modify the plastic handle bar covers to lower them enough for the clutch-brake levers to hit the tank.

First time I've ever seen mention of this.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,882 Posts
Sure will.
My guess is that some wally has strapped the bike down on a trailer and used the bars as a tie down point - that would move the bars down alright

wildwestrider said:
Am I missing something....or.....Won't changing the angle change the height at the control end??

Brian

·
Registered
114 Posts
When I initially got my 2000 KLT the bars became depressed after I had my first experience with it picking it back up after it tipped over as a result of putting my foot down into an unexpected low spot in the asphalt in a parking space. Surprise! The bars were loose since I could move them up or down maybe a half inch with an easy jerk. As I remember, the bar ends were too close to the tank may have even hit it. The fix for this takes time as some tupperware and the radio stingray must be removed. The screws were definitly under torqued when I finally got to the point that they could be tightened. The plastic pieces that clamshell around the bars will only go back on if the bars are pretty much at the "factory" setting, not alot of wiggle room. Best of luck with your wrenching.
Terry

·
Registered
57 Posts
Be careful on how high you raise them. I raised mine up tp the point of fighting to get the covers back on. Once on, they felt good but it made the input very twitchy. I did not think this would be a problem until I hit the highway. Every truck or side wind made me feel like the bike was going to dart off the road. I found I was having to lift on the opposite bar to turn and not push as normal. Very strange sensation.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the tip. I just want to raise them to a more natural position,...both blinker control levers hit the fuel tank on hard turns prevent the front wheel from making a full turn in either direction.

Brian

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I think your right about the bars being low because the bike was tied down by the bars. When I bought it both mirrors were off the bike and the left side blinker lever was broken with a sizable paint gouge on the left side of the tank area.....Im guessing the bike was dropped at some point prior to my owning it and probably trailered by someone who didn't have any idea how to tie it down.

Not many convenient tie down spots on an LT. I ended up wrapping tie down straps around the front fork sliders just above the fender,...then lifted the seat to lash onto the frame tubes under the seat for the back of the bike...........I left the bike on its side stand to give a bit of stability.

Brian in Austin

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
update

Finally got around to completing the handlebar adjustment. With the bike on its centerstand, handlebar height was about 41" measured at the top of the grip. Now is about 44" and all the plastic fit perfectly. rode it this afternoon and now feels like a BMW .....previously felt like I was trying to ride a garden tiller.

Brian

·
Registered
1,180 Posts
c00k1e said:
Sure will.
My guess is that some wally has strapped the bike down on a trailer and used the bars as a tie down point - that would move the bars down alright
OK, I am adding this only to clear up what happens when you "Rotate" the bars as opposed to "raise" them. The "distance" from the hand-grip & controls to the rider will change more dramatically by merely "rotating" the bars (get farther or closer depending if you go UP or DOWN). Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
SmokinJoe said:
OK, I am adding this only to clear up what happens when you "Rotate" the bars as opposed to "raise" them. The "distance" from the hand-grip & controls to the rider will change more dramatically by merely "rotating" the bars (get farther or closer depending if you go UP or DOWN). Sorry for the confusion.
Yeah, THAT really clears things up!

Can you say...............HUH?

BC

1 - 14 of 14 Posts