BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to drill a hole in the clutch housing tomorrow. If the housing is thick enough I would like grind a teardrop wedge & drill the hole at a forward angle. I'm just trying to help keep water out in the rain.

·
Premium Member
313 Posts
I just drilled mine out a couple weeks ago to partially address a rear engine output seal leak.

And after just looking at the hole, I estimate it to be 1/8" thick. The hole is drilled at 3 3/8"

from oil pan and on center, side to side, while sitting on your machine. I think one or

two small holes is more effective than one larger hole. After all, we don't want to let water or

dirt into the clutch. I used a 3/16" drill bit.

·
Registered
509 Posts
An idea I was kicking around..as I prepare to drill my clutch slave cylinder weep hole, is to insert a tiny piece of open cell foam padding in the hole after drilling. This would seem to help keep out dirt, water spray, etc....yet still allow oil/fluid to get out, should it need to. Whaddya think?

·
Premium Member
1,431 Posts
I think the hole getting water and debris inside is unlikely and the water is no big deal. My bike sees plenty of rain. My opinion on this is self supported. However, look under any older K bike and you'll see a nice large, approx. .375" hole in the bottom of the bell/clutch/intermediate housing. Mine has been drilled for 2 years to a .250" size. The only downside is there does seem to be a little more drive line noise. I guess that's to be expected. The hole is a nice piece of mind to just throw an eye on to verify the case isn't full of oil.

I just drilled another bike the other day, I'd be guessing the thickness of material is about .125" as previously mentioned.

·
Registered
13,451 Posts
Toolman said:
An idea I was kicking around..as I prepare to drill my clutch slave cylinder weep hole, is to insert a tiny piece of open cell foam padding in the hole after drilling. This would seem to help keep out dirt, water spray, etc....yet still allow oil/fluid to get out, should it need to. Whaddya think?
I wouldn't do it. If you lose a tranny seal, the 90W is pretty goopy. You don't want any fluid backing up inside the bell housing.

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
509 Posts
grifscoots said:
I wouldn't do it. If you lose a tranny seal, the 90W is pretty goopy. You don't want any fluid backing up inside the bell housing.
OK....was just a fleeting thought. Thanks for the reality check.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts