BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I noticed over the weekend that when on the centerstand the bike has right much "wiggle" room. i.e., that the bike can be moved about quite a bit laterally without the c-stand moving on the ground.

IS that normal? I know probably someone out here in LT land has probably studied this extensively... :p That IS a compliment, BTW.

Is there something I should check? I was so tired after class, I didn't care if it fell over. Will look at it myself later to see if anything appears loose.

I do climb aboard with it on c-stand and I am at 300 lbs myself. It seems to be getting harder to rock OFF the stand although still goes up easily. Or am I just thinking it should rock down easier?

Randy

·
Registered
878 Posts
Your profile doesn't say what year your LT is and that could make a big difference in the answers. If you don't have the power center stand there is a possibility that the cross piece on the center stand could be about to break. That happened to mine and there are reports of several others breaking. One day I noticed some instability but just thought it was normal until a few days later I went to put it up on the center stand and thought it would fall over. I looked and found that the cross piece was broken at the weld on the right side. Mine was replaced under warranty.

I'm not sure what the problem could be if you have the power center stand.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry, you are correct about bike. It is an 03 with 10K (as of this weekend - I'm doing all I can). I'll check that first. Thanks

Randy

·
Registered
468 Posts
Check the centerstand carefully. I was thinking about your post as I came off the centerstand at work. It felt kind of funny. Then, of course I forgot about it and threw the bike up on the centerstand as I got home. It collapsed at top height and crashed onto the right side. Sure enough the cross piece is broken. Mine is an 03 as well.

Dale White

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,588 Posts
Could someone post a picture of where to exactly look? My bike has the wiggle while on the center stand.

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,588 Posts
desertlizard said:
Mine broke right at the weld. Then the darn thing kind of folded up. I circled the spot where it broke. Dale White
Thanks for the picture Dale. Now the "impaired" knows where to look!

·
Registered
698 Posts
My 03 failed at the same spot, right along the weld on the left side by the footbrace (?). A welder friend put it back together for $20. He did a good job and added a little reinforcement to the weld area. I try and keep it well lub'ed but I think it's getting stressed because the rear shock is low and the spring has sagged. That lowers the back end and puts more stress on the footbrace as I try and pull it up overcenter.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was just thinking if mine is cracked, why not have a welder fix 'er up. Guess I'll check that next time I fiddle with the bike.

Thanks for the replies
Randy

·
Registered
The Villages, FL
2,588 Posts
I looked at mine this morning. No cracks and no signs of rust where a crack would be located. The bike still wiggles too much for me.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts