BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
374 Posts
There's an old saying, tappy valves are happy valves. It's the valves you don't hear that you worry about. Of course, if you hear loud clunking, it's something else but just a bit of valve noise is fine.

·
Premium Member
7,600 Posts
I hate when topics/threads get hijacked. My original question had nothing to do with ethanol free or different octane levels and how they burn. It's also not about ear plugs. I also know the difference between valve and chain noise.

My question was to determine how much valve noise is considered normal in a 2014 boxer engine.

I do notice it's reduced a bit when the engine warms up, though once the engine is warm, and the idle is a bit slower, there is a little bit of vibration.

Taking it for a valve & timing adjustment could be expensive, and it was just done less than 2k miles ago, where it should not need it for another 10k.
Your question has no answer. It is like asking “How high is up?”

Reactions: gary45

·
Registered
1,002 Posts

Maybe this will help, valve noise cold start 65 degrees F. You can see how close I have to get phone to hear valves. At start there is very short loud sound which is chains as tensioner pressurizes.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #25

Maybe this will help, valve noise cold start 65 degrees F. You can see how close I have to get phone to hear valves. At start there is very short loud sound which is chains as tensioner pressurizes.
Thanks. This is my 2014 cold starting at 65F.

So, comparing to yours, maybe what I am hearing is normal noise.

·
Registered
419 Posts
I hate when topics/threads get hijacked. My original question had nothing to do with ethanol free or different octane levels and how they burn. It's also not about ear plugs. I also know the difference between valve and chain noise.

My question was to determine how much valve noise is considered normal in a 2014 boxer engine.

I do notice it's reduced a bit when the engine warms up, though once the engine is warm, and the idle is a bit slower, there is a little bit of vibration.

Taking it for a valve & timing adjustment could be expensive, and it was just done less than 2k miles ago, where it should not need it for another 10k.
Would a decibel meter help? iPhones have these apps which may not be perfect but at least you can get a reference from the dealer. Test yours and then test one at the dealers maybe.

·
Registered
419 Posts
Apologies. Only got halfway down the thread with my answer. Do I feel stupid? Mmmm.....

·
Premium Member
3,113 Posts
My 15 RT I thought was a bit noisy but never worried over it.

My 17.5 GS is noisy but I dont worry about it.

What I did was get one (2 as I knew as soon as it was seen a friend would want one also) of those couple dollar mechanics stethoscopes. Start the bike and walk around it holding that to the various areas of components to get the real sound of metal grinding. I did this on the 15 RT and my 07 LT. Well I have done it to cars forever too.

Noise is SO subjective. Very dependent on acoustics. Distance and so many other variables in the mix.

So using the ear scope listen to yours, your friends, your dealers, wherever, and see if it is close to what you hear on yours.

I am just trying to add a little to your thought process to control how you are hearing what noise is concerning you, and get a better idea of the actual noise you hear in the various components and try to localize it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If the noise is concerning you, why not pull the valve covers and check the valve clearance and cams for wear?

If both check out then you can rest easy. If there's an issue with either, you can get it taken care of.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
If the noise is concerning you, why not pull the valve covers and check the valve clearance and cams for wear?

If both check out then you can rest easy. If there's an issue with either, you can get it taken care of.
I don't really have the tools, or the skills for that... But I suspect the issue is not the valve clearance, but the timing, and possibly chain tensioning. There are specialized tools for this, which are quite fragile. I have seen the videos from BoxFlyer, filmed by Chris on the Street. (are these guys awesome or what?) But again, I do not have these tools, or the expertise to attempt such adjustments myself.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with an RTW, nor is there a BMW repair shop in my city. The closest ones are each about 100 miles away from me, and it's nearly a 7 hour drive to the dealer where I bought my RT. All I have in my city is a HD dealer, and another private shop that sells Honda and KTM, where they think I should trade my BMW for a KTM, because KTM is the best bike on the market (according to that dealer). They will not work on my BMW, or even look at it. If they did, they would just tell me the engine is bad, and that I need to upgrade to a KTM. Did I mention they really like KTM? Doesn't that stand for "Known To Malfunction"? :)

Anyway... The BMW dealer in St. Louis checked the valves clearance about 2000 miles ago, so they should still be fine, but I have have no idea if they did the timing.

Again, it's not that the engine is loud, it's that I hear a lot of valve pinging between 2000 and 3000 rpm.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I usually use earbuds while riding. When I don't have them in I can say that the engine sound of the '16 RT is...uninspiring. It's a minor nit to pick but a better sounding motor would be nice. A "throatier" exhaust might help but I'm not willing to drop $1000 when my current exhaust is working fine. I the current exhaust wears out during my lifetime I'll probably change to Akropovic but I won't do it just for the sound...

My $0.02

Ski
nice

·
Registered
480 Posts
I don't really have the tools, or the skills for that... But I suspect the issue is not the valve clearance, but the timing, and possibly chain tensioning. There are specialized tools for this, which are quite fragile. I have seen the videos from BoxFlyer, filmed by Chris on the Street. (are these guys awesome or what?) But again, I do not have these tools, or the expertise to attempt such adjustments myself.

Unfortunately, I don't know anyone with an RTW, nor is there a BMW repair shop in my city. The closest ones are each about 100 miles away from me, and it's nearly a 7 hour drive to the dealer where I bought my RT. All I have in my city is a HD dealer, and another private shop that sells Honda and KTM, where they think I should trade my BMW for a KTM, because KTM is the best bike on the market (according to that dealer). They will not work on my BMW, or even look at it. If they did, they would just tell me the engine is bad, and that I need to upgrade to a KTM. Did I mention they really like KTM? Doesn't that stand for "Known To Malfunction"? :)

Anyway... The BMW dealer in St. Louis checked the valves clearance about 2000 miles ago, so they should still be fine, but I have have no idea if they did the timing.

Again, it's not that the engine is loud, it's that I hear a lot of valve pinging between 2000 and 3000 rpm.
The most pervasive symptom that I've heard people report when their cam timing has been off is hard starting... having it take two presses of the starter button to start the bike.

Unless there is a rideability or starting issue, I think you're worrying about nothing.

I have a 2016. It makes all sorts of noises (many of which my 2005 didn't). The noises are different depending on which helmet I'm using, windscreen position, etc... Pinging is one of those sounds (and I always use the highest octane top tier fuel I can get). You get some extra rattling when you run the bike in neutral with the clutch lever released.

My advise is to stop worrying about it and just ride it.

Reactions: gary45

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
The transmission had a couple of changes made in 2017 which could affect the sound at idle, the 14 sounds a bit different than my 18 but myself I think that is a bit of difference in transmission idling noise. Mileage makes a difference as well, mine has just 10k miles and either I have gotten used to the racket or it has quietened down a bit as it loosens up.

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Motorcycles require a level of mechanical engagement higher than an automobile. If you are not interested in this part of being a bike enthusiast you are left to the whims of various quality mechanics and their locations. You are mistaken about cam chain tension. It is well regulated by a device that is spring loaded. But two things you mentioned are applicable. The cam face wear and cam timing. For awhile dealers were not buying all the factory tools to do cam timing. Cam timing will not contribute to noise. But, I think this is past. The proper tools cost 400$ and take more time. I have checked several new (low miles) wetheads and found the cam timing off. After that fix when they come back for the next valve check, it is not so bad but needs to be checked. A spat of wethead GS bikes (my friends ride gs bikes) three of them had enough cam face wear to get warranty cam replecments. One bike at a local dealer had groves 1/16" in the cam lobes. He said he did his own work. Yikes. These were 2014 and 15 year bikes. BMW has had several incidents with cam hardening not up to par. Basic maintenance like oil changes and just checking valve clearances is not hard. Instructions are clear. The tool purchases are cheaper than having the job done at the dealer. Plus you build confidence in you abilities and knowledge of the bike. Take it a step at a time.

Reactions: PadG and LAF

·
Registered
7 Posts
I have 10K+ miles on my 2015 R1200RTW. Being new to BMW, I find it somewhat "noisey" particularly off the start with lower revs. It seems to get better as the engine warms. But I had solid lifters on my 2008 Vstar engine, and the 16Kmile valve adjustment made a world of difference (sold at 44K miles, with no perceivable valve noise). I am hoping the 12K valve adjustment to the 'RT has similar results...

·
Registered
74 Posts
My 2015 sounds like a bag full of spanners. When I asked the tech about it he said "start to worry when the noise stops".
My 2009 made a noise, as did all my R1100's.
Good enough for me.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts