BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everybody,

I am looking to get back into riding and I am looking at a 2005 K1200LT in Ocean blue with 30,000 miles. I’ve owned and parted ways with a ’93 K1100LT, a ’05 K1200LT and a ’01 K1200RS since 2000 so the K bikes are not new to me.

The dealer wants $6,900 for this one and one caveat is that they don’t allow demo rides. Does anyone know if that is a fair price?

There are some usual surface scrapes; chrome trim on rear lid, tip over wings, chrome trim on both side bag lids, the right mirror is slightly scratched on the outer edges and the windshield has slight scrape in one spot. I can live with most of these and most of it can either be replaced or covered up in some way. The bike has stock seats, intercom and a rack on the rear lid. It’s in overall good condition but I’m a bit suspect because it is non-BMW dealer that is selling it.

Mechanically, from what I could tell, Reverse gear worked. Actually I demonstrated how the hydraulic center stand works as they were clueless and quite surprised that it even existed. They had it leaning on the side stand and it coughed up a small cloud of white smoke when I started it. That’s normal from what I remember.

Service records are scarce and I was told that there were 4 previous owners. Not sure about the ABS unit as I’d have to drive it to know that the ABS unit was functioning properly after pulling away and watching the flashing light extinguish, which indicates that it is.

I have to say that it feels great to be back thinking about riding again. My darling wife has even given her approval to make a move.

I would appreciate any and all feedback on this. Also if you know of anyone selling a 2005 or newer K1200LT please let me know.

GoldRush

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi there,
I got a 2005 1200LT 17K for $6000 private party. It had about the same amount of wear and tear but the radio's left channel was dead and the tires were bald. I would probably have walked away if I couldn't test drive it. If they are going to warrant it in writing, then test drive a different one. These bikes are heavy! I'm 5'7" and I am barely able to control it at very low speeds as my feet are not flat on the ground. If you have never owned one, definitely test drive one to see.
Regards,
Mark

·
Registered
233 Posts
A lot of dealers don't allow test drives but will allow you to do one at the final moment with check in hand. If it passes muster you have a bike, if it fails you walk away. Just ask. I wouldn't buy used from a dealer with no test ride, unless there is some kinda warranty.

·
Registered
693 Posts
I bought a 2000 1100RT with 16k on the clock about a year and a half ago and paid about $4k for it. The price sounds fair.

Not sure if the LT is different, but if I leave mine on the side stand for more than a couple of hours it smokes like a hooker in a hookah shop for about a minute.

I'd say see if you can run them down a few hundred and go for it. No test drive, no problem if they'll give you a 24 hour return window.

As for it being in a non BMW shop, they probably took it on trade and want to get rid of it because it doesn't fit in their line.

·
Registered
341 Posts
I'd offer em 5K. You know they gave a lot less than that for the trade. Definitely require a test ride, with the check in hand as mentioned above. She probably needs a lot of TLC and new parts such as brake lines, fuel lines, etc.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I purchased my 2006 k1200lt about 10 months ago for $6500.00 from Jacksonville, fl BMW motorcycles. Best buy i ever did. All (and i mean ALL) the upgrades had been done. Mileage was a little high at 72000 miles, but the previous owner had obviously taken great care of it. The dealer didn't hesitate to let me take it for a test drive well before i bought it. I've since put 14000 miles on her without a hiccup
In my opinion 6900.00 is too much for an 05 LT. You can find them every day for much less. The post 05's are a little harder and more but still less than 6900. I've seen 08s and 09s here in Florida for well under 7500.
The fact that your dealer won't allow test rides strikes me as strange, and i would think twice before dealing with that dealer.
Just my humble opinion.

·
Premium Member
1,392 Posts
I sold my immaculate '07 LT with 46K miles on it loaded with over $5,000 in farkles, including an RDL seat, Yacugar shocks, Garmin 590LM GPS, PIAAs, Speigler brake lines,
FIBIB topcase latch kit, JiffyTite QDs, R1200RS mirrors, 4 piece luggage set, etc. (Note - left off the price I got: $7,300.) The only thing wrong with it was the radio had quit working, but I never used it anyway... Guys couldn't believe it had that many miles on it. You should be able to do much better if you keep looking (or offer them $5K and walk if not accepted). :bmw:

Reactions: beech

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
Decent price, a bit on the high side though...

I'm contemplating selling my '05 with numerous add on's, new clutch everything serviced. I have a high price of $7500 to make me sell it!

https://nashville.craigslist.org/mcy/5989774255.html

just need one buyer, right?:wave

·
Enjoy The Ride
3,989 Posts

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I bought a 2000 1100RT with 16k on the clock about a year and a half ago and paid about $4k for it. The price sounds fair.

Not sure if the LT is different, but if I leave mine on the side stand for more than a couple of hours it smokes like a hooker in a hookah shop for about a minute.

I'd say see if you can run them down a few hundred and go for it. No test drive, no problem if they'll give you a 24 hour return window.

As for it being in a non BMW shop, they probably took it on trade and want to get rid of it because it doesn't fit in their line.
When you shut it down. Lean her slightly to the right for 30 sec or so. Then put it on sidestand. I've done this while stopping for the night traveling. In the morning. No smoke.

Reactions: Whiskey

·
Registered
80 Posts
If you check in the classifieds here, there's a 2008 for sale with 3,800 miles - asking $8,500. There aren't many LT's around with miles that low, and they aren't really broken in til they're in the 30,000 mile range. Sometimes spending a bit more gets you a LOT more in a bike. Service history matters.

·
Premium Member
1,428 Posts
"it must me nice having that extra 26cc's than the rest of the LT's."

I installed the special " Baraba chip " from Raffy... it only works when hyper speed is selected... in the corners!

·
Registered
341 Posts
Hey Goldrush, did you make an offer on the motorcycle?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for asking Fatbob307, No not that one. I found another one that I'll be looking at this weekend. :dance:

Will write later...GoldRush

·
Registered
34 Posts
If you check in the classifieds here, there's a 2008 for sale with 3,800 miles - asking $8,500. There aren't many LT's around with miles that low, and they aren't really broken in til they're in the 30,000 mile range. Sometimes spending a bit more gets you a LOT more in a bike. Service history matters.
Yep, still haven't sold it.

·
Premium Member
48 Posts
Hello everybody,

I am looking to get back into riding and I am looking at a 2005 K1200LT in Ocean blue with 30,000 miles. I’ve owned and parted ways with a ’93 K1100LT, a ’05 K1200LT and a ’01 K1200RS since 2000 so the K bikes are not new to me.

The dealer wants $6,900 for this one and one caveat is that they don’t allow demo rides. Does anyone know if that is a fair price?

There are some usual surface scrapes; chrome trim on rear lid, tip over wings, chrome trim on both side bag lids, the right mirror is slightly scratched on the outer edges and the windshield has slight scrape in one spot. I can live with most of these and most of it can either be replaced or covered up in some way. The bike has stock seats, intercom and a rack on the rear lid. It’s in overall good condition but I’m a bit suspect because it is non-BMW dealer that is selling it.

Mechanically, from what I could tell, Reverse gear worked. Actually I demonstrated how the hydraulic center stand works as they were clueless and quite surprised that it even existed. They had it leaning on the side stand and it coughed up a small cloud of white smoke when I started it. That’s normal from what I remember.

Service records are scarce and I was told that there were 4 previous owners. Not sure about the ABS unit as I’d have to drive it to know that the ABS unit was functioning properly after pulling away and watching the flashing light extinguish, which indicates that it is.

I have to say that it feels great to be back thinking about riding again. My darling wife has even given her approval to make a move.

I would appreciate any and all feedback on this. Also if you know of anyone selling a 2005 or newer K1200LT please let me know.

GoldRush
I paid 5500 for a 2003 lt a couple of years ago; had 18K on it. Dealer installed new battery due to ABS fault (this is something that seems to be an issue on these bikes). Since the dealer wouldn't part with the records I did the 18K check, spiegler brake lines, new windshield, and went to a free-flow header and exhaust. All this ran another 2.5K. Took the bike to Sturgis from TX/AR/OK/CO/SD and had a blast. Keep the front wheel STRAIGHT when you stop.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased my 05 K1200LT last Friday from a private party. $5500 and only 1650 miles on it. He even had the service records from 2 months ago (oil change, complete yearly service, and replacement of the wiring harness for the radio). Only issue with the bike so far is the rear speakers don't work and the radio has a bit of static when it is first turned on.

I drove it home that night (nearly 200 miles) in the rain with my wife on the back for a portion of the ride.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I bought an '06 with 11k miles. Very clean. Graphite. Single owner. Very happy! Paid $6,000.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts