BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
166 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone have an idea how much money I saved doing the following myself??

Brake line change, flush and bleed.

Changing air filter

Changing fuel filter

Changing Antifreeze

Now I want a tire changer :) :dance:

Tom

·
Registered
596 Posts
Peace of mind and satisfaction.

·
Old Slow Guy in A Fast Car
8,602 Posts
I would say $400 to $500 in Labor cost easy.
Plus the knowledge that the job was does right.

·
Registered
90 Posts
Depending on what your local shop rates are, you saved a considerable amount. The shop that works on my scooters charges $99/hr, cheapest rate here in town, and they don't go by "book rate." That work would still run me probably $600 easily.

·
Registered
92 Posts
I'm betting more like $800. I'm struggling with brake pump problems currently and have been quoted $300 just for the flush/fill alone. I think stripping down enough to change brake lines and change air/fuel filters would easily double that...if not a few hours more!

·
Registered
85 Posts
I recommend a No Mar tire changer. So far I have changed my front and rear HD tires, all six of our motorhome tires, and two car tires. You just keep saving everytime you use it!

By the way, the 6 on the motorhome saved me enough to pay for it!

·
Registered
63 Posts
I had a good friend that changed his own tire on a 99 goldwing. To save money. Apparently on the 99 model you can install the wheel, get it out of sink a little bit and still torque down the lugs. After a while the lugs can work loose.

On an annual trip to Florida with his wife behind him, he reported via radio to his riding buddies he was picking up a vibration. Almost instantly the rear wheel came loose locking up the bike at speed, it started flipping. My friend died and his wife barley survived with major disabilities.

Just make sure you know what you are doing. First thing I did was check my beamer to see that it had lugs that went into a hub that would make the wheel center up just like on a car. BMW went one better and put a bolt dead center. Anyway RIP Tommy Dossey.

·
Registered
349 Posts
My LT is getting a full set of brake lines right now. Labor is 3.5 hours at $79/hour, which of course includes new fluid and bleeding.

The tire is $25 labor.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Around this area parts and labor for that work would have been a grand. You did good!

As for "Keithkmb" and his friend, I would never do anything I wasn't 100% sure I could do correctly. But there is no guaranty a tech at a garage won't mess something up and get you killed. As my dad used to say, "I'd rather pack my own parachute any day".
He was in the 101st Airborne.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts