BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have added a trailer hookup and PIAA lights to the LT. I already had a GPS hooked up. Now I want to add another GPS (the Zumo 665) and the Farkle Bar (which hooks to the battery) to supply power to a cell phone and Itouch.

I know that none of these uses a lot of power individually but should I worry about all of them together?

What if I decide to get Gerbings at a later date?

·
Registered
12,165 Posts
It is not the battery that is the limiter, but the alternator. As long as all the wiring is sized correctly for the circuts, and a proper distrubition setup is used (fuze block) the battery can supply just about anything you can normally use, all at one time. However, if the total load is higher than the alternator rating, you will gradually run the battery down.

The total load applied when the engine is running is basically supplied by the alternator, not the battery. If the load is higher than the alternator output the battery supplies the rest, until the battery runs down. The battery is really there to supply needed current when the alternator is inactive, such as starting, and any devices turned on when the engine is not running.

Once the engine is running, you can take the battery out of the system, and everything will operate as usual.

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info.

Sounds like I'll be good to go with adding the 2nd gps.

·
Premium Member
2,967 Posts
dthogey said:
I have added a trailer hookup and PIAA lights to the LT. I already had a GPS hooked up. Now I want to add another GPS (the Zumo 665)
Just a thought but . . . not sure why you need another GPS. If both are running there may be some rf interference between the two units and you may not get accurate info from either. :(

·
Premium Member
2,339 Posts
PMitchell said:
Just a thought but . . . not sure why you need another GPS. If both are running there may be some rf interference between the two units and you may not get accurate info from either. :(
I use two GPS's (a 550 and a 665) for routing and different data points supplied by each. I can route from one while exploring other possibilities with the other. I have XM weather on both but the receivers and data is read differently giving me other useful data while touring across this great land. In other words I like to make sure I know what I'm riding into and how to get around sketchy situations without stopping to re-route and switching back and forth.

I do not get any interference from the two GPS or the V-1 radar detector mounted on the same BMR shelf. I have one GPS wired into the BMW comm system and the other on a separate keyed power source with the audio wired into the AUX port into a device that took the place of the CD player (iPod converter). The power used by the GPS is minimal and have never had a wiring problem or over loaded a circuit.

The power to a heated garment should be wired direct to the battery and retain the fuse block they supply. This will help eliminate a power "voltage drop" from running it through another circuit which is drawing power at the same time. Heated garments need all of the power they can get. So far I have not exceed the power output of my BMW LT however the Suzuki VStrom is another story altogether; the 'Strom is so bad at delivering power when we ride two-up only one of us can use the heated garments at a time. The 'Strom is sold and I will be riding a GSA by next year as a result of my experience with poor charging system outputs.

IHTH

·
Premium Member
1,157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
PMitchell said:

That is a fair question, I suppose I could easily get by with 1 gps. I just love electronics and thought it would be neat to experiment with both of them. Maybe have one set on fastest time and the other set on shortest distance. Have one watching the weather and the other on the route. Stuff like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts