BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan on doing the brake line replacement tomorrow. I have 1L of some high quality German DOT4 fluid. I know that on a regular, non-ABS bike this would be more than enough to do the job but I have never done the job on an ABS bike and don't know how much fluid is used for flushing/bleeding. Would 1L cover me? I just can't get this stuff around here and don't want to mix fluids so if I run out I am in trouble.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't start that project without at least couple quarts handy. If you've browsed our forum you'll see just how intensive a line replacement can be. When you say "...can't get this stuff", do you mean a specific German brand? Otherwise, any DOT4 from any parts store will work.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
1L should be enough to cover you. Mixing brake fluid is not a bad thing if keeping with .4 compatibility among brands as they are chemically compatible. Your high quality German fuid will chemically take on moisture, same as any other brand requiring periodic flushing so don't sweat it if you have to go buy some Valvoline or other name brand. Don't get hung up on the word compatibility on things like the Valvoline .3 / .4 fluid. If it says .4 then it has to meet the specs for .4 but can be used in ( compatible with ) .3 applications. It isn't a blend :) Of course, .5 is silicone based and not compatible in .3/.4 applications. That was a disclaimer for those not in the know thinking .5 would be better than .4 as the number is higher :)

Reactions: krazzz

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,254 Posts
Pint for a full flush and less than a quart for new lines (unless you screw something up).

Reactions: krazzz

·
Registered
2,751 Posts
All the posts that say a liter is enough are right on. But there is quite a bit of difference between the boiling points of some of the high quality DOT4 and the cheap stuff. Probably only pertinent on the track.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts