BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The number is 3 for me in 7 years.

I love this bike, but I am 5'10" and consider myself a pretty safe, experienced rider. That being said, I did go down at 55 mph on a blind turn on my BMW 650 Street Carver and once on my Buell Cyclone (Delivery truck drop entire load of hydraulic fluid)... Fell down when I tried to stand up.

I absolutely love this bike on the road, but when this thing is all I can handle when going slow. or coming to a stop. Once slip of my foot on sand, gravel, whatever, and I am in the fight of my lift. I have a 30 inch inseam and weigh 210.

Is it just me, or are Germans taller than us. I can handle the bike, as long as pay it great respect and come to a feathery stop. Anybody else had this down. ON A POSITIVE NOTE, THIS BIKE HARDLY GETS DAMAGED AT ALL WHEN IT GOES OVER. IT'S LIKE THEY KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.

For those taller riders this is probably hard to understand, but when the bike tips more than 10 degrees, it pulls the other foot gets pulled off the ground. If the other foot slips, you are toast.

·
Registered
437 Posts
pcgolfer said:
The number is 3 for me in 7 years.

I absolutely love this bike on the road, but when this thing is all I can handle when going slow. or coming to a stop. Once slip of my foot on sand, gravel, whatever, and I am in the fight of my lift. I have a 30 inch inseam and weigh 210.

Is it just me, or are Germans taller than us. I can handle the bike, as long as pay it great respect and come to a feathery stop. Anybody else had this down. ON A POSITIVE NOTE, THIS BIKE HARDLY GETS DAMAGED AT ALL WHEN IT GOES OVER. IT'S LIKE THEY KNEW IT WAS GOING TO HAPPEN.
I am about the same height and weight as you are and I totally understand what you are saying. I do not have many miles on mine yet and fortunately have not dropped it as of this time. BUT I have came REALLY CLOSE a few times. Especially in a gravel parking lot or where there is some gravel on the road when you come to a stop.
I noticed that even the Japanese bikes are very tall, I had looked at a VSTROM a few years back and all I could touch was my very tip toes on it. I guess the cruiser type is made for people with inseams less than 31".

Ride Safe !

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
15 at last count :D

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
I feel your pain. 28-29" inseam here and mine has been on its side 3 or 4 times since I have owned it. I have learned to just let it go once it starts over. Can't stop it anyway so what the heck.

Loren

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
4 times in 8 years .... those within the first 3 years ( learning or leaning curve )

·
Miles of Smiles
1,064 Posts
I've lost count. :rotf:
Never had any issues after the fact.
Shit happens, Deal with it.

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've only owned my bike about 3 months and dropped it 3 times the first two weeks! Doing much better with it now....because I haven't ridden it lately due to anti theft problems. I am about 5'10" and 220 pounds also. The weight is less than some other bikes but the center of gravity is higher. I have resolved to just throw it down at each stop light and have the wife pick it up when we are ready to go.....

·
Registered
290 Posts
Four times since I got it about ten months ago. None were my fault, of course. (I'm 6'). Luckily, a kind soul or two immediately came to my aid to get it upright saving me the cost of renting a small crane.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Guys,

Thanks for your honesty and good humor.... My wife won't get on it now. Like one of you, it's better not to fight it, The last time, I just hopped off to the side. But it is a little humbling to ask somebody to help pick it up.

I HAVE ACTUALLY DEVELOPED A new process in that has probably stopped this from happening. When I slow coming to a stop I put both feet down inches from the ground. I then try to hit the ground with both feet. If one slips, I shift my weight the other direction. As we all know, there is a point of no return.

LOLOLOLOLOLO

·
Registered
18 Posts
Bought the bike on a thursday and on my first day of riding which was the following sunday I tipped it over twice in the same location on opposite side too. I was riding the back roads and found this nice little picinic area so I thought I would stop. Apon entering the gravel drive going slow the front tire hit a sand area and over I went. Lucky I was going very slow as my new bike was on its side. Then panic came as nobody else was around and how was I going to pick it back up by myself. Well with all the might I had I got it up and drove it up to a more solid grassy area and put it on the center stand instead of the side stand. Took a break and came to my senses then decided to leave. The stand had sunk into the grass. No problem just start it put it in first gear give it gas and lean back to make the rear tire hit. Well that did not go as planned and I was down on the other side. Just as I was doing that a truck was passing by on the road and saw what I did and turned in to give me a hand getting it back up. Lesson I learned never go on grass, gravel or sand again.

·
Registered
476 Posts
At least twice that I know of coz the chrome side bag strips as well as both tip over wings are scratched. But none by me - yet......

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
KCS,

I have a hard enough time on pavement with grit. If I come to a gravel road, I'm turning around.... Don't feel bad, we've all been there... It's a little discouraging. I have learned to come to the slowest, straightest stop possible - keeping the wheel straight. This beast turns in to a beauty on long winding roads... without stop signs... I think the ones with white trip are optional right. I live in Iowa, on the MIssissippi River, so our roads are pretty bad... even the paved ones.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Refuse to answer because I will break my good luck after 4 years.

·
Registered
362 Posts
wa1200lt said:
I feel your pain. 28-29" inseam here and mine has been on its side 3 or 4 times since I have owned it. I have learned to just let it go once it starts over. Can't stop it anyway so what the heck.

Loren
29" inseam 5'8"
Ike has been on his side 4 times
On the very first day :eek: in the driveway on the fence
Then twice in reverse mode on angled inclined. Wow you would have thought I learned the first time. :rotf:
All three of these were in the first 2 years of ownership.[/COLOR]
the last time was just in the past month when the center stand broke :mad:

·
Registered
876 Posts
Very close on 3 occasions since getting my '05 14 months ago. I'm 5'10" with a 34" inseam so reaching the ground is no problem, but on every occasion it has been the result of my boot slipping on the surface. The closest time was when we stopped under some pine trees (pine needles), luckily my wife had already made her way off the bike and was standing very close. I guess I'll eventually lose it and down she'll go, not looking forward to it though. Watch your footing always !

·
Registered
375 Posts
As I told here on the forum I bought a LT in California and drove her over to the east coast.
In Arizona we had two days of very strong wind. We stoped for fuel on a station. Just by side of the pump, my wife was still on, came a such a heavy blast from the side and tipped us over :rotf: . No damage or big scratches.
And my LT here in Germany, I own this since 2002, I tipped her fife times over in 10 Years but always with slippage of my foot, or gravel, or me wife went of before I was ready.
As said before shi... happens.

Manfred

·
Registered
321 Posts
It has been over enough times that She just steps of and gives me that look. Then she watches me pick it up and gets back on. Always done at very slow speed. The last one was when I was rolling back from a convenience store and it stopped rolling right where the little concrete ditch was and my feet were off the ground by a couple of inches. The worst time was in the mud at the campground when the front tire quit turning. That thing is a B****H to pick up when you have no traction for your feet. 5' 8" @ 29" inseam with the boots on

·
Registered
787 Posts
Bought it in 2008 and ride 95% with wife. Dropped twice both on gravel, one with her on and one alone. Once the foot slips on gravel forget it shes down. I've now christened both sides. When it fell on shifter side it bent shifter and I had to bend it back, but very little damage for such a heavy beast falling over. Come close on many other occasions,but when shes in motion it is the sweetest ride ever.

PS you can tell by the wide protruding crash wings the Germans new this bitch was going to be hugging the ground quite often.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts