BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading the post about switching from the LT to a Harley Ultra and was curious as to how many of the K1200LT owners actually have other bikes in the garage too.
To me a motorcycle is like a tool... there's not one tool that can do every job you want. So why settle for just one! I've been adding to my toolbox for years.

If I wanted to ride the same thing all the time I'd still be married!

Attachments

·
Registered
399 Posts
Maybe in the Carolinas, where the 'fun season' lasts a little longer that it does up in the North, it makes some sense. I, too, had multiple bikes, an MGB roadster, and an old VW Rabbit Convertible in the garage. However.....looking at the cost to insure and operate this fleet, and the fact that we really have only about a 5-month window to use this stuff here in NEOhio....made me realize just how foolish it is to be spending money without being a little more selective in my choice of toys.

Got rid of a lot of stuff. In a hurry. Bank balance shows it.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
hd_ryder1964 said:
I was reading the post about switching from the LT to a Harley Ultra and was curious as to how many of the K1200LT owners actually have other bikes in the garage too.
To me a motorcycle is like a tool... there's not one tool that can do every job you want. So why settle for just one! I've been adding to my toolbox for years.

Check my signature. In addition I have a Yam IT 250, Yam IT 175, Ossa MAR 250, Suz RM 125, Honda Trail 90 and a few other junkers and parts bikes. Looking for a Cushman (Highlander).

Robert

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Good point DW, I grew up in Vermont.

My solution to the short riding season was to move South as soon as I could. I've been in South Carolina for 25 years now and I've never has to shovel any snow since moving!

I've got my insurance with Progressive, $480 a year for 3 motorcycles and 2 scooters with 2 of the bikes having full coverage, it's one of the only perks of getting older! On the negative side South Carolina has a personal property tax... so each year they tax you on the value of your vehicles.. the older they get the less they rape you!

:bmw:

·
Registered
637 Posts
My wife wanted the LT for XCountry. She hated the seat on the RT, and I bought the R90/6 new in 1975. So, there's a bike for each mission:

1975 R90/6 w no bling
2000 R1100RT
2005 K1200LT

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Robert,
I really like the old Cushman's - Dennis Carpenter is right up the road from us in Charlotte NC. They have shows in Charlotte that are a must see.

I've attached a PIC of my 1942 Roadmaster Cycle Truck with a 300 series 1950 Whizzer motor attached. Roadmaster only made them for a couple years, until all their resources went into the war effort. After the war Roadmaster never made the Cycle Truck again so 99% of them out there are made by Schwinn.

I'd really like to add an Eagle to the stable...

* I added another picture of a 1948 Whizzer with an H motor... that one came from Schwinn already motorized... BIG FUN !!!!

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
-----------------------------------------
My Rides:
'99 BMW K1200LT
'03 Moto Guzzi California Stone Touring
'09 Kawasaki Concours 14

·
Registered
194 Posts
Count me in too- 3 bikes.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have two. My 1999 Suzuki VL1500 Intruder LC. I bought new in 1999. And fully customized to kind of a pro street look. It is now been relegated to around town solo bike. And my 2004 K1200LT. You are sooo right about a bike is like a tool.1 can't do the Job. :)

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
Dragonwing said:
Maybe in the Carolinas, where the 'fun season' lasts a little longer that it does up in the North, it makes some sense. I, too, had multiple bikes, an MGB roadster, and an old VW Rabbit Convertible in the garage. However.....looking at the cost to insure and operate this fleet, and the fact that we really have only about a 5-month window to use this stuff here in NEOhio....made me realize just how foolish it is to be spending money without being a little more selective in my choice of toys.

Got rid of a lot of stuff. In a hurry. Bank balance shows it.
I live in Garfield hts . We should meet up at some point.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
hd_ryder1964 said:

Nice fleet if I can call them that.
In answer to your question I have one other bike in the garage . . .1985GW limited edition. Since I purchased the LT my attention has been devoted to it. Or should I say the LT has forced herself on me. And I am impressed and fully engaged. Also +1 for the affordability factor and real estate I reside in. My insurance and registration would not be worth it to be half way across country on the LT while the GW sits in the garage at home being jealous :histerica Right now she is in a more understandable position on her CS with leaky front fork seals. My intentions to make her a trike for my later years sits well with me. I'm still in charge of both of them.
ride safe :bmw:

·
Registered
53 Posts
3 for me!

2000 BMW 1200LT
1989 Honda Pacific Coast 800 [for sale if spring comes again]
2008 Linhai 150 scooter

Oh, I guess this is in my signature, too.

·
Registered
399 Posts
james216 said:
I live in Garfield hts . We should meet up at some point.
PM sent!

·
Registered
126 Posts
I have had a 1966 R-50 since I was 18 years old. I am now 65 and I still have the same
R-50. I have always loved riding the R-50, smooth, quiet, and sturdy. As time went by I silently wished for a little more power to get up those Vermont hills when I visited my parents from my home in New York. As I got even a little bit older I began to think.. if I could wave a magic wand what would I like from my R-50 besides a little more power? - I thought something to keep the wind and cold from going through me as I ride along those cold streams by the roadside that seem to be everywhere in Vermont. I kept an eye on BMW's progress in motorcycles over the years - nothing seemed to grab my attention --- sure they were more powerful and had better wind protection, but they were not made as well as the R-50, and the price to buy a new one!, and not to mention how BMW had increased the price for parts - and how could I part with my old gal R-50?

To make a long story short, my brother and I recently came into an inheritance that was larger than we expected. My brother, who lives in Florida, had been riding his 2000 BMW 1200 lt since it was new. He decided to buy a BMW 1600 GT with his money. He gave me his well cared for 1200 lt. Guess what - perfect! - my little R-50 wish list fulfilled!.

Yes I now have 2 bikes, R-50 in NY to keep me humble, and the 1200 lt in Florida to remind me that a magic wand just might exist. Best of all the worlds!

·
Registered
476 Posts
2 bikes for me. Both make me smile for different reasons. The 2005 LT is smooth, fast and a great tourer and handler. My Honda VTX1800R is a v-twin torque monster that is raw, breezy and a bit of a show-boat with all that metallic orange and chrome. I luv 'em both. My wife would like one gone. Not gonna happen.....

·
Registered
212 Posts
I feel no one bike can do it all, but there are some that come close. I have the following:

1. R1200RT: Touring, grocery shopping, taking the Misses out 2 up.
2. S1000RR: back roads, starbucks, bike night, sport class bike hyper bike
3. Dorsoduro 750: Hooligannisum de jour, upright comfort, city errands, v twin rumble, jump trails.

I feel these bikes give me a wide range of coverage.

I had 6 bikes about 2 years ago (Daytona 675, 955i and RVF 400). The S1000RR covered what the 2 Daytona's could do, the RVF400 was to small ride. I like having 3, seems perfect, wouldn't mind adding a Harley XR1200 to the mix because I think they're neat bikes, but I have a feeling I wouldn't really like it because of the poor handling and weight.

Triple

·
Registered
55 Posts
Guess I'm a airhead at heart..............

Attachments

1 - 20 of 87 Posts