BMW Luxury Touring Community banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,128 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was looking at the service sheet for the 2011 and it has gearbox oil, final drive, engine...
So I'm aware of the engine and final drive oils.... Is there gearbox oil on the RT?

I'm sure I'll run out of questions eventually, lol.....

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Teach said:
Is there gearbox oil on the RT?
Yes, there is separate transmission oil. As mentioned above it is the same product as used in the final drive. This is a good thing. You can use a true gear oil. The K bikes and like format bikes with the transmission sharing lube with the engine have to use compromise lubrication.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I just got through changing all the oils on my 2011 last week for the 12000 mile / one year service. The oil in the gear box and final drive were getting pretty dark. There were no slivers of metal in the old oil but you could tell it was starting to break down. After the new oil was put in, the shifting was noticeably smoother. Goes to show how important it is to keep up with the oil changes, especially on the final drive with its record of reliability.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.