BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have to admit I will not ride in the rain or at night, there I said it, my thinking is that it is a dangerous enough adventure without adding all the other possibilities that can crop up at night or in the rain. I admire the moxie of those who can do it. Obviously this limits my range for trips and my riding friends only ask me to go with them if it is a day ride, the shame. I bought a trailer and will trailer the bike to far destinations, but I still feel like I'm not getting the full experience by throwing caution to the wind and just taking off, be damned the weather. I recently did a two day overnight trip but the weather had to be perfect before I would go. Even my S.O. who loves to ride with me called me a Pussy (I mean cat for the sensors)
I was just wondering how many others do this and if so is there a support group for us cat types and if not can someone just tell me it's OK. :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
"It's OK". You just go ahead and continue being a "kitty" there Sunshine :wave

I don't care for riding in the rain, but am always amazed at how comfortable the LT is for wet weather riding. Never ceases to amaze. As far as night, toss in a nice pair of driving lights and I think you'll find it much more comfortable. Seems like I always take the lead at night so that everyone can see.
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,411 Posts
I prefer not to ride at night as well - too many critters out. Now I don't mind rain and have even done the Dragon in the rain (on ME880 no less) but I don't care much for lightening so I avoid that. If you are dry and warm the rain is not much of a challenge. Just stay off the slippery stuff, and why does NJ put a big fat tar strip between lanes one the interstate?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,746 Posts
Frank, have you been taking sensitivity training? Sunshine? Really! I'm like the OP except that I DO ride at night, I DO ride in the rain (if I didn't I would get to ride about 12 days a year), and I love every minute of it.

As long as you are not stopped at a light or in stop and go traffic you stay amazingly dry on the LT. I got to work one evening absolutely soaked to the bone! Thunder storm and the traffic on the freeway was stop and go to 10 mph. Just not fast enough to shed water.

As far as riding at night goes, the trick is to turn night into day. HID lights, fog lights down low for visibility and driving lights that poke way out there all make for a much safer night time riding experience.

Sunshine? Really! :D

Loren
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
498 Posts
24/7, 360...( about 5 snow days a year here) :D

HID low and high beams, PIAA driving lights, LOTS of flashing farkle lights.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
I prefer riding in daylight hours on dry days; and I agree with John that there are just too many critters out at night for my comfort. But I do ride at night and in the rain but I slow to the speed limit or less when on the two lanes. I keep my rain suit on my bike at all times due to I use it as a commuter and I can never know what the weather is going to be like at the end of the day. I actually kind of like riding in the rain when I am dressed for it. Otherwise no. On a rainy ride I take the curves more vertically and I am extremely cautious of the painted lines on the highway. They can be like ice when they are wet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
Most of us ride because we want to, not because we have to.

That being said, I too don't look forward to a ride in the rain or at night, but with the right attitude and gear, I do both all the time. Actually in Florida, when it is generally too hot to ride, a summer shower actually feels pretty good. After diving in the fish tank at The Florida Aquarium (I do this two days a week) on a hot summer day, a brief shower on the bike, cools the air. Bad thunderstorm. I wait it out.

For me, riding at night, with good lighting and good vision can be quite enjoyable. One evening I was riding south on an empty interstate with the sun going down to the west and the moon coming up to the east. That was an awesome night ride of about 200 miles.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
576 Posts
Three of the past four days had be up at high-altitude, constant fog, frequent rain, I saw as low as 36 degrees in rain at 80 mph before I thought....if that temp is correct, I'm pretty close to freezing conditions...I'd best slow down.

No incident, the bike ran PERFECTLY, and once I got the fogging issues with my helment handled, and one more layer of clothing, I was _okay_...not ecstatically happy, just okay.

I'm actually kinda glad my partner couldn't make it...he would have been MISERABLE without a windshield and any heated gear.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
wa1200lt said:
Frank, have you been taking sensitivity training? Sunshine? Really! I'm like the OP except that I DO ride at night, I DO ride in the rain (if I didn't I would get to ride about 12 days a year), and I love every minute of it.

As long as you are not stopped at a light or in stop and go traffic you stay amazingly dry on the LT. I got to work one evening absolutely soaked to the bone! Thunder storm and the traffic on the freeway was stop and go to 10 mph. Just not fast enough to shed water.

As far as riding at night goes, the trick is to turn night into day. HID lights, fog lights down low for visibility and driving lights that poke way out there all make for a much safer night time riding experience.

Sunshine? Really! :D

Loren
HEY you grumpy old fart - that WAS warm and fuzzy. Norton asked for someone to tell him it was OK, and I did. Just doing my part. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
185 Posts
There's a psychological issue about starting out in the rain for me. I find it harder to get motivated to ride when I wake up and find it raining. If I'm out already, zip up the Aerostitch and suck it up.

I find riding in the rain somewhat enjoyable. Here in FL it's so hot I've actually prayed for rain and the cool down.

That's a benefit of the Aerostitch. Yes it may be dated, heavy and hot but when you encounter rain there's no stopping to put in liners or covers etc.

My wife recently started riding her own F650GS. We rode to last year's MOA rally in PA. She said "please try to stay off Interstates and avoid rain". So where'd we end up? Riding 2 hours in WVA, on the Robert Byrd expressway in the rain. After that she doesn't even flinch when we have rain.

Stay off the crown for the first 30 min or so and then ride the crown to avoid trapped water in ruts. Slow down and look over the top of the windshield. Periodically turn your head sideways to whisk off faceshield rain buildups.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
787 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well I can see Frank is the only one with a level head, sensible mind and a sympathetic heart about this! As far as Loren, I prefer to be called sugar pea thank you. Although Sunshine has a nice ring to it. With all your tips and encouragement I'll seek out some good rain gear and go for it. The S.O. has been bugging me to take a week off and ride from Pa. to her home in Michigan then go north and follow the lakes around the mitten and then home. I think this is maybe the trip where I stop being a big Meow.

Oh what is the best rain gear these days, there are so many new products out?

PS, Thanks all for the kick in the pants.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,176 Posts
HEEEEEYYYYYY NOOOORRRTON

Sorry, couldn't resist.
I've learned that the LT has such great wind protection that you don't have to buy gear heavy enough to take on the Arctic seas. We use pretty light jackets, and gortec pants from Cabella's. Works great and packs small.
Couple of my buddies have gone with one piece suits and so far regret that option.
I think the biggest issue is rain running down your helmet, but I don't know how to stop that. Balaclava's are a nice piece of gear to carry too.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
70 Posts
norton said:
Well I can see Frank is the only one with a level head, sensible mind and a sympathetic heart about this! As far as Loren, I prefer to be called sugar pea thank you. Although Sunshine has a nice ring to it. With all your tips and encouragement I'll seek out some good rain gear and go for it. The S.O. has been bugging me to take a week off and ride from Pa. to her home in Michigan then go north and follow the lakes around the mitten and then home. I think this is maybe the trip where I stop being a big Meow.

Oh what is the best rain gear these days, there are so many new products out?

PS, Thanks all for the kick in the pants.
Hi, Norton! I like to commute using the LT, but I leave her at home when the risk of rain is too high. I still get caught in it every so often. And, of course, on longer trips, you just have to suck it up.

I agree, the LT keeps you amazingly dry at speed. On a recent trip to Myrtle Beach, I got caught in heavy downpours and lightning. But I really only started getting soaked when some fool in a pick up turned onto a country road in front of me and drove 20mph for about 5 mins before I could get around him. Everyone knows that it's always warm at the beach, so I only wore my mesh jacket without liner... and my teeth were literally chattering for most of the rest of the drive. I did wear my Aerostitch Darien pants which kept my legs completely dry. They're not very comfortable yet. Apparently they take forever to break in. But, I got them with the bike and I'm sold on them. I eventually plan to get the Aerostitch Darien jacket. It is a bit pricey so I have to psych myself up first. ;-)

Andy
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
norton said:
Oh what is the best rain gear these days, there are so many new products out?
It's pretty scary to wade in here - feels kind of like a tire/oil post. So I certainly won't say it's the best but I like my Firstgear Rainman jacket and pants pretty well. They keep me dry and with the two piece setup I can wear the pants to break the wind on a heated vest day. I know what you're thinking but they are breathable. Air and other gasses pass through but water doesn't.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,566 Posts
When it's warm & dry out ... sometimes I ride, sometimes I don't.
When it's raining ... sometimes I ride, sometimes I don't.
When it's dark ... sometimes I ride, sometimes I don't.

Do what YOU want. Doing anything else makes one a pussy. :cool:

There! I said it. ;)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
I don't ride. I just haul it around on a trailer......... :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
7,651 Posts
norton said:
I have to admit I will not ride in the rain or at night, there I said it, my thinking is that it is a dangerous enough adventure without adding all the other possibilities that can crop up at night or in the rain. I admire the moxie of those who can do it. Obviously this limits my range for trips and my riding friends only ask me to go with them if it is a day ride, the shame. I bought a trailer and will trailer the bike to far destinations, but I still feel like I'm not getting the full experience by throwing caution to the wind and just taking off, be damned the weather. I recently did a two day overnight trip but the weather had to be perfect before I would go. Even my S.O. who loves to ride with me called me a Pussy (I mean cat for the sensors)
I was just wondering how many others do this and if so is there a support group for us cat types and if not can someone just tell me it's OK. :confused:
I have no problem riding in the rain and not much more problem riding at night, especially since I installed the PIAAs to light the sides of the road better.

I don't though much care for riding at night in the rain. The loss of visibility is just too great with the glare of oncoming headlights on the rain on the windshield and helmet shield.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
Cochinosucio said:
24/7, 360...( about 5 snow days a year here) :D

HID low and high beams, PIAA driving lights, LOTS of flashing farkle lights.....
+1
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
517 Posts
For the most part in my years of riding, I didn't intentionally just ride off into a known thunderstorm or hurricane, but I have ridden in both. I do however intentionally ride off into the dead of night lots of times. All of my Iron Butt rides were started at night to get the light traffic and the cool and stillness of the night. I also try to always start rides so that I'm not looking directly into the sun. Loose sight, loose fight sort of thing from much earlier years.

Both my LT and the GL1800 have extra night time driving lights on them for that purpose and they are put to good use. Every one of us has our own riding styles and it's a good thought to think of the riding styles when you are invited off on a ride. Some will be good partners and some you know will not ride your type of riding. and for me, it's best to bow out on them. It gets to grind on you if you know your on a 6k ride and someone in the group just will not break the speed limit. I'm not a real speedster as it were, but 80 on the interstates on the LT feels about right to me and I wave at all the LEO's I see on the sides.

The club I belong to are mostly good old guys and for the most part are Harley riders with a sprinkle of about 8-9 BMW's a couple of touring KAW's and then Goldwings filling in the rest. The Hunded Dollar guys, they got the right ride for them and spend about a years gas money being sure to have the right clothes all with the Harley name on it. That suite me fine. But some of them look at me with that 1000 yd stare when I tell them that I went 800 miles Saturday to get something like reloading supplies or maybe just to go. I hear thinkg like - "In one Day??" "Yeah in one day, on one bike sitting on one stock BMW LT seat". Shake of many heads. "You crazy, Connell" No I'm not crazy, but I'm just one of the many different type of riders we have out there.

But I don't feel that they are 'pussies' for their riding styles nor do I think I'm a 'pussy' for loving long rides and racking up the miles.

But at 74 years of age I do still love IT. And the riding ain't bad either. :D
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
403 Posts
I usually ride in the daytime. And get there by about 5 p.m.
I usually ride in good weather. I watch the weather and plan my trips for good weather.
Every so often I must take a night ride. Not too often, but once in a while. My eyes are not good at night anymore.
I have left for Utah in the pouring rain.
I left other locations in the pouring rain.
I have been caught on the road in snowstorms.
And wind. Oh, the wind I have seen.
And, I am a cat.
dc
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top