BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last week I rode the bike to a seminar in Long Beach, about 33 miles away. I planned on getting gas after the seminar, but realized once I got there that I'd left my wallet at home.

The BC said I had a range of 42 miles, which quite quickly dropped to 36 getting on the freeway. I don't trust the range indicator. The last 20 miles always seems significantly shorter than 20.

Once on the freeway, I lowered the windscreen and stayed low behind it, then got behind a semi and tried to stay in its draft the whole way home. I don't know how much difference it made, but I made it home with 4 miles left on the range.

This morning I drive to the nearest station. The range was 1 when I pulled in. I toyed, momentarily, with the idea of driving around in a circle at the gas station to see if it'd die at 0, or shortly thereafter, but laziness and not tempting fate talked me out of it (mostly laziness).

Does anyone know what happens with the range hits 0? Will it die shortly thereafter, or do you really have another 20 miles? I don't see the point in having a reserve on a bike with a fuel gauge, but now I'm curious.

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
On my LT, I think I rode almost 40 miles with --- displayed on the BC. On the GT, about the same. But I wouldn't consider this "the rule" by any means.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Like Joe, I can affirm you can drive on - - -. Done so lots of times. I have run out twice, once when it still showed some miles. The BC is not infallible, but I must say, that in the last few years I have come to rely more and more on the BC. I consider it a sin to fill up if its showing any more than about 30.

·
Registered
493 Posts
My BC does a great job calculating the mileage. I've verified it on many occasions. The miles to go is an entirely different matter. Not realistic at all for me. The gas gauge and warning light are much more of a reliable indicator.

On to the question. Mine will go maybe 10-12 miles after ---. Then it sputters to a stop. You are suddenly reminded just how heavy the bike is and how dependent you are on the engine to move it around. :)

This one is a big YMMV.

·
Premium Member
684 Posts
Hi Bob,

It might be useful to know how much fuel you added at the gas station. Subtract that from 6.3 gallons, and you know how much you had left.

I have seen many a "---" on my daily commutes. The most I have ever driven over zero is close to 20 miles, gentle riding, with a 50/50 ratio of freeway and city. I don't recommend it. Nonetheless, I feel very comfortable riding 10 miles past zero. Reset the tripmeter or note the odometer when the miles remaining hits zero.

I believe that on average, 0.6 gallons of fuel remain when the miles remaining hits zero.

It isn't a good idea to run out of fuel. The user manual specifically says not to. Someone recently posted that it could damage your bike.

While typing this, I had another thought. I have noticed that miles remaining drops by 5 mile increments until it hits 20 miles remaining, then it goes to zero. Perhaps the meaning of the "---" display is "less then 20 miles". In other words, 19 miles remaining.

Cheers,

XMR

·
Registered
276 Posts
Riding it down that low really isn't good for any fuel injected vehicle. Basically what happens is all the crap at the bottom of the gas tank is delivered to your injectors and you face the real possibility of one or more clogged injectors. Best to fill it up with at least a gallon remaining in the tank.

IMHO of course.

·
Registered
3,208 Posts
Although I agree that running on empty isn't good for the vehicle,
"all the crap" in the bottom of the tank gets sucked through the filter
before it is delivered to the injector rail,
I think it will clog the filter long before it plugs an injector.

As for myself I've run 20+ miles with --- displayed,
I added 6.19 gallons of fuel once, that's much to close,
but there just wasn't any fuel available.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Bobnoxous said:
The BC said I had a range of 42 miles, which quite quickly dropped to 36 getting on the freeway. I don't trust the range indicator.
From what I see, the BC calculates mile to go based on fuel level and MPG at the time, so when you got on the freeway your MPG may have dropped and the BC figured fewer miles.

Since the fuel CAUTION light can be programmed based on float level, I will guess that the EMPTY level can also be set, and that it is set as the float nears the bottom. How much fuel is left after that will probably vary wildly between machines.

Glad you made it!

·
Registered
256 Posts
VRodPete said:
Riding it down that low really isn't good for any fuel injected vehicle. Basically what happens is all the crap at the bottom of the gas tank is delivered to your injectors and you face the real possibility of one or more clogged injectors. /QUOTE]I will disagree, but based on my understanding of course...

The fuel pickup is low in the tank so it can get to the last of the fuel. Since it is a fuel-injected engine, the fuel pump picks up and delivers a lot of fuel to the injectors, but very little is actually injected while the rest goes back to the tank.

So I think all of the crap at the bottom is constantly being sucked, up even with a full tank.

I do try to fill up before the BC hits -- though... :D

·
Registered
607 Posts
IMHO, if you're riding around with the BC reading "--" for miles to go, you need to plan your fuel stops better.

·
Premium Member
4,883 Posts
I too feel that with the pick-up having to be as low as possible to the bottom, any contaminant would already be in the filter. I liked the old fashion way of lowering the pick-up when the bike started to sputter, but guess those days are over.

I generally get it filled up every 200 miles or so and have ridden it around 325 miles max. Seems I added about 6.X to fill it up.

Only way to really know your bikes MPG and useful range is to ride it to empty and have a little in a spare tank to get you to the nearest fill-up.

I need to stop every 200 miles or so to stretch, get something cold, add fuel and hit the head...... I'm in it for the journey.

·
Registered
509 Posts
VRodPete said:
Riding it down that low really isn't good for any fuel injected vehicle. Basically what happens is all the crap at the bottom of the gas tank is delivered to your injectors and you face the real possibility of one or more clogged injectors. Best to fill it up with at least a gallon remaining in the tank.

IMHO of course.
I mean no disrepect, but that would only be true if we didn't have fuel filters.

·
Registered
276 Posts
Toolman said:
I mean no disrepect, but that would only be true if we didn't have fuel filters.
I wish fuel filters were 100% efficient, but they aren't. Those of you that want to run your tanks dry along with the sediment in the tank, please do so, I don't care if you do or not. I do agree that the fuel filter will catch most of the gunk - but they aren't perfect... really.

My experience with autos is that if you run a tank down a few times on a FI vehicle with a few years on it, you will be getting your injectors cleaned soon. That's all.

·
Registered
298 Posts
Shortly after my "low fuel" light came on the count down began. Shortly after the BC read 0, she sputtered to a stop. I looked back at the display and it read, "Walk Stupid!"

·
Premium Member
650 Posts
My experience with the fuel filter comes from a fill-up with bad fuel. The LT stopped after 10 miles. There was no crap in the tank when I siphoned it down but when I emptied the filter this black, slightly thicker stuff came out. I put it in a jar and as I moved the jar it acted like a cloud. It did not separate.
My conclusion is the filter will catch some very small particles. I do not think we have much to worry about mess in the injector rail.
That's my story.

·
Premium Member
1,305 Posts
My one time running down to was crossing Texas/OK. The BC counted down to 10 miles remaining then went to "--". I went about 5 miles before I got to a gas station, and the fill up was just shy of 6 gallons. So I could have squeezed out another 10 or so miles before walking.

·
Premium Member
3,138 Posts
I don't think you will get a definitive answer because there is none. Machines and gages will never be true on, from one, to the other.

Personally I rely on my miles traveled more then the BC and the fuel gage. Old habits die hard I guess.

I also would say that unless you are running a fuel additive I would never let it get below a 1/4. I run mine into the Idiot Light on Sea Foam and Marvel gas treatments. Other then that, I top it off pretty regular.

Maybe the way I was brought up but running tanks low is for sure harder on the fuel pump and yes I too believe you can suck dirt past a fuel filter into the injectors.

I have seen the difference that flowed and cleaned injectors make in performance and know they got clogged someway. I proofed it on a live data recorder/fuel controller that showed both injectors, flow, pulse width, open and close, and the affect on AFR. With before and after data side by side.

I wish I knew all the specifics on these injectors. Marren Fuel Injection http://www.injector.com/ would have tested and flowed replacements, and I know they will test, refurbish, and flow your injectors for a reasonable price, on a pretty decent turn around. Not Affiliated, just a satisfied customer.

Run your tank the way you want but rely on miles, not the BC, to keep you from huffen and puffen the LT down the road :D

·
Registered
809 Posts
I look for gas at 250 miles; my experience at "0" miles remaining will be 1 mile short of the gas station.

Regarding running out of fuel, I understand it's hard on the pump. I would think the fuel acts as a lubricant and/or coolant.

Just my inflated $0.02.

·
Registered
13 Posts
On my 06 LT, about the time the BC reads --- is when the fuel light comes on. I've ridden 40 miles like this across the desert and filled 6.1 gals. After reading these responses I'm feeling a little lucky.

·
Registered
783 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks for all the feedback. Next time I run it that low (if there's a next time), I'll make sure to note how many gallons I can pump in. I would imagine you cannot get a full 6.3 gallons in. Maybe that idea of running in to sputtering with some gas to pour in would be a fun expirement, but I hate to work my fuel pump like that on purpose.

It's good to know I probably had at least 10 more miles to go. Now I hope that knowledge doesn't make me even more careless.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts