BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me if this has been done already but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Yesterday I was reminded why I enjoy riding the LT so much.

I started near LA, went up through Mojave to Mamoth Lakes and over the Tioga pass to Yosemiti and back home again. 732 miles round trip in one day! We ran into 50 MPH cross winds, a dust storm and temps from 57 to 91 degrees. From sea level to 10,000 feet. The only problem I had was with my helmet. I could not imagine doing this on my HD or any other bike.

So guys, let's see your one day riding totals.

732 for me . . .
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
best day 540 best leg 220
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
519 Posts
Did a short trip in May from Montreal to Valpo, Indiana 993 miles there, under 16 hours, and the Friday home, 998 miles around 15.5 hours.

Great ride, stopped for lunch and two coffee and gas stops.

Best day two years ago was 1100 miles from Montreal to Outer Banks, NC.

Bowdon.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
JAX to Fort Stockton TX = 1,430 miles with another 1000 miles the next day for a total of ~2430 in ~43hours 34min. but who's counting..

I have also done a few 1000+ days, a 1000 instate IBA ride and my craziest was a flight from Orlando to JFK and then a ride from JFK Lefferts Boulevard - Long Term Parking to Orlando, right at 1,100 miles Total time from leaving the house for the airport to getting back home was 24 hours...

That was a long and CRAZY day...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
tonygret said:
Forgive me if this has been done already but I searched and couldn't find anything.

Yesterday I was reminded why I enjoy riding the LT so much.

I started near LA, went up through Mojave to Mamoth Lakes and over the Tioga pass to Yosemiti and back home again. 732 miles round trip in one day! We ran into 50 MPH cross winds, a dust storm and temps from 57 to 91 degrees. From sea level to 10,000 feet. The only problem I had was with my helmet. I could not imagine doing this on my HD or any other bike.

So guys, let's see your one day riding totals.

732 for me . . .
For me, and being a newbie to motorcycling, it seems that I would like to stop and enjoy some the scenery and other interesting stops. As a newbie I guess I would'nt get more than 300 miles a day but I'm retired and can take my time.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,080 Posts
RonHolly said:
For me, and being a newbie to motorcycling, it seems that I would like to stop and enjoy some the scenery and other interesting stops. As a newbie I guess I would'nt get more than 300 miles a day but I'm retired and can take my time.

Trust me, 880 of I-0 across Texas there is no flowers to stop and smell along the way...

I am sure that SilverBuffalo might not agree, but for me the best way to get across TX is 5MPH over the speed limit....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,730 Posts
1003 in 20 hrs,1000 in 17 hrs, several 650-750/day trips; this is one sweet bike! :D
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,886 Posts
1,018 miles in 14 1/2 hours last year on my new K1600GTL. Don't plan to do it again!

Most in one day on the LT was from Memphis, TN to Tampa, about 850 miles in about 16 hours.
 

·
Enjoy The Ride
Joined
·
3,994 Posts
I'm just under 1200 miles in 24 hours on my LT for my most miles in one day. I just happened to be that far from home & had to work the next day. I have no idea how many 1000 + mile days I have rode. 600 to 800 mile days is a lunch ride for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
161 Posts
Heck .. around here the next town of any significance is 250 miles away ... so 500 mile days are normal ... on big trips I tend to shoot for 700 miles a day ... seems to be the range of my nano when playing continuously audio books to my scala G4. Maybe I should get a charger so I could go farther :D
 

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
Joined
·
14,410 Posts
Guess my longest was only 775 miles. But I am looking forward to retirement when I have time to do the 300-400 miles days and stop and see stuff along the way. I only spent 3 hours at the Grand Canyon and I only stopped in Yellowstone long enough to see Old Faithful blow. Wished I had more time to sight see.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
I did 715 miles from Chattanooga TN to Naples FL.

Also the Iron butt 1000 mile and 1500 mile rides.
 

·
Super Moderator
Joined
·
1,409 Posts
Bought my new to me 2009 LT last September in Boise and drove to Cincinnati

2 - 1000 mile days back to back. Sort of a long distance challenge as I wanted to get back
to work without taking time off, smelled no roses but got a nice rash, sore back and stiff
neck!!! A really stiff neck . . . deep down to the shoulders! Lasted a week. I do not know
how these Iron Butt dudes can do 11 days straight!! You get goofy after a while and loose
all sense of reality - very numbing exercise and experience!



The numbers:
2005 miles on the odometer
28 hours in the saddle
71.5 MPH average (can you tell I was speeding)

Averages:
Miles between fill ups 200
MPG 41
Gallons per fill up 4.8
Cost per fill up $18.40
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,730 Posts
dthogey said:
I did 715 miles from Chattanooga TN to Naples FL.

Also the Iron butt 1000 mile and 1500 mile rides.

It was cold that day too!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,157 Posts
pkpr1998 said:
It was cold that day too!
36 deg when I headed south!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
478 Posts
i have ridden up to 800 in a day but i think 500 is a good distance for touring off the road in about 8 hours it seems to be easy on the passenger & my own body. much more & i get a sore neck.at that distance i can go for as many days in a row as i want
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,571 Posts
1,229. Rear tire failed on the way to my Bun-Burner Gold. &*@$!!
 
1 - 20 of 76 Posts
Top