BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How Many Miles Do I Have Left (clutch issue)???

I have a pristine 2005 LT with 15,000 miles. During a ride around town tonight, I ran the tach up to about 4,000 to 6,000 rpms in both 3rd and 4th gear and noticed that my speed really didn't increase that dramatically (I typically switch gears at 3,500 - 4,000 rpms tops).

Overall, the bike ran great tonight and it didn't show any signs of this (although I felt this same experience 2 - 3 times before). I ride mostly one up and weigh 225 when geared up...if I have someone on the back, she weighs 130 all geared up for a combined total of 355 lbs.

Could I be experiencing clutch slippage? If so, what are the tell tale signs of a clutch slipping? I bought the bike with 8,500 miles so I can't tell you how the original owner rode the bike.

Any insight would be helpful.

Glenn

·
Registered
2,341 Posts
I have not experienced a slipping clutch on the LT but you describe the symptoms that I have experienced on another M/V. I would say that if you were in fourth gear at 40 MPH and put full throttle and only the tachometer gained altitude that would be a clutch. Same symptom on a significant hill with full throttle as it started to lug.

·
Registered
3,226 Posts
Can happen, I burnt a clutch at 16000km (10,000 miles).
Now have 85,000km on the bike and just learnt to let it engage fully before hitting the slammer...

·
Registered
265 Posts
If the clutch is going out with that few miles......holy cow

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
The real test is get to a steady state in 5th gear say about 3,500 - 4,000 RPM then hammer the throttle. If you see a blip in RPM with no corresponding change in speed your clutch is slipping. Now do it again. Did it slip the second time? If yes then not a lot of time left. If it does not slip on the second attempt you can ride it for several hundered miles before you will have an issue. That is what mine did and I rode it for several months and took a few long trips before I changed it out. It only slipped in 5th as I described but I never tried in any other gears on pupose.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
John: Thanks for the note and the advice. I just came back from a quick ride on the local highway, 42 North/South, and went into 5th gear -- after getting the LT to 4,000 rpms, I opened it up to about 5,000 rpms. No hesitation in speed whatsoever.

I am know thinking that I went too quickly up to 4,000 rpms after shifting -- seems like the old girl didn't like it. Who knows but I am thinking that after riding tonight, the clutch seems fine; although the LT just doesn't like getting too much throttle too quickly after shifting.

Just my thoughts --

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,257 Posts
If you slip it BEFORE the clutch is fully engaged she will continue to slip after you release the lever. Sounds like you are OK.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts