BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

I have a 2006 LT. I love this machine. 47000 km's so far. Its got all that my co-pilot want and mostly because it just plainly fits.

With the new GTL style how long do you figure BMW will continue to support the LT. This remains the only bike with an electric centre stand and the only bike BMW made with a reverse, both items originally sold me on this bike.

I am also wondering will BMW jack up the maintenance costs to force LT owners to trade their LT's in on a newer model. How many out there have old BMW bikes and have any problems with maintenance or service issues.

Thanks for responses,

Norm Ingram
Richmond BC Canada.

·
Premium Member
7,565 Posts
You can still get parts and service through a dealership for airheads, which they haven't made in over 15 years. I'm guessing they'll support it for quite some time.

·
Registered
1,149 Posts
STRMN said:
Hi all.

I have a 2006 LT. I love this machine. 47000 km's so far. Its got all that my co-pilot want and mostly because it just plainly fits.

With the new GTL style how long do you figure BMW will continue to support the LT. This remains the only bike with an electric centre stand and the only bike BMW made with a reverse, both items originally sold me on this bike.

I am also wondering will BMW jack up the maintenance costs to force LT owners to trade their LT's in on a newer model. How many out there have old BMW bikes and have any problems with maintenance or service issues.

Thanks for responses,

Norm Ingram
Richmond BC Canada.
I'd say ,based on my experience, that it'll be for a very long time. I've got an 1983 R80GS and a 1984 R65LS and parts and service are still available for these models. When I ride them to the dealership they are hoping I need work done because they are so simple to work on.

In retrospect the 99-10 LT is now an easy bike to work on (for most BMW techs).
Now go out and try to get that kind of response when riding a 27 year old Japanese motorcycle.

I'd say that 1990's and 2000's (wow that was 20 years) FD failures aside...BMW's have some great longevity and consumer support.

·
Registered
2,176 Posts
"How long will BMW continue to support the LT"

I think there might be a few of us that don't really think BMW has ever supported the LT, at least not properly. So I'm wondering if the point is moot.

·
Registered
635 Posts
STRMN said:
Hi all.

Thanks for responses,

Norm Ingram
Richmond BC Canada.

As others have said, BMW has been supporting considerably older models so should not be an issue. As to raising maintenance costs, this just does not make sense as maintenance costs are based on the dealers labor rate and the costs of parts, so I do not see that happening.

·
Registered
390 Posts
I have a 1979 R100/7 and the local BMW shop stills has many parts in stock and all parts can be found if needed. A nd the local shop has techs that know these old bikes well.

·
Registered
607 Posts
fpmlt said:
"How long will BMW continue to support the LT"

I think there might be a few of us that don't really think BMW has ever supported the LT, at least not properly. So I'm wondering if the point is moot.
:histerica

:rotf:
:clapping:

·
Registered
1,566 Posts
fpmlt said:
I think there might be a few of us that don't really think BMW has ever supported the LT, at least not properly.
Here ya go...

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Joe,
That one took some time for me to arrive at what you were trying to say. Some cheese with the whine. I get it. I don't care who you are, that thar's funny! :histerica

·
Premium Member
2011 R1200RT
8,157 Posts
DavidTaylor said:
You can still get parts and service through a dealership for airheads, which they haven't made in over 15 years. I'm guessing they'll support it for quite some time.
In addition I think there will be 3rd party vendors that will rebuild center stand hydraulics and clever folks on this forum will devise new ways to fix broken stuff! ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts