BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
- - too long to let an LT sit? What can happen to it if it sits for a while, say a year? And what should be done to it once it's ready to go? Is StaBil good to add to fuel if it's gonna sit?
Thanks in advance
EL

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
- - too long to let an LT sit? What can happen to it if it sits for a while, say a year? And what should be done to it once it's ready to go? Is StaBil good to add to fuel if it's gonna sit?
Thanks in advance
EL
Stabil for sure. I would also fill the tank to the brim to minimize the space for condensation to form.

Doesn't hurt to put the tires on wood if the alternative is first or concrete.

Remove battery and store in cool, dry place on a good battery maintainer.

I don't think the Nikasil cylinders are prone to rust as with steel, but it still doesn't hurt to remove the plugs and fog the cylinders with the purpose made fogging oil spray.

I would wash and wax to get corrosive bugs off the shield and paint. I would then cover with a half cover. That keeps of dust and bird droppings yet allows plenty of air circulation to minimize condensation.

There is more you can do, but these items are fairly critical.

·
Registered
4,356 Posts
If you can get pure dino gas with no ethanol, that would be better for storage. The tank will breath with warming and cooling and the alcohol will attract and mix with any water in the air and can condense in the tank over time. Not sure if Stabil helps prevent that or not.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Seafoam is another alternative to the Stabil. I have had great success in both starting and running after storing for 6 or more months. Once the stored gas is gone, I put another half can of the Seafoam in on the first fresh tank to flush the fuei injection system. Another practice I highly recommend.

Reactions: Munmi

·
Registered
275 Posts
Another option which I use, is StarTron Enzyme fuel treatment. The blue stuff.
Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment

Claims to eliminate or prevent ethanol problems. I started using it instead of Stabil because the original packaging stated it keeps fuel stable for up to 2 yrs (twice the time of Stabil). Plus overdosing is not harmful.
I've been finding it at walmart in the marine dept.

Bob

·
Premium Member
1,345 Posts
I wouldn't store anything that long with corn gas in it. Looks like skim milk after a year.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just ordered the Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment 16 oz for $13.97 from Amazon Prime. Is that a good price? Didn't check out Walmart price.
btw, fyi, products like this and StaBil cannot be shipped to Hawaii because they are not allowed to be shipped via air. So this product in Hawaii is probably $25 or more.
Anyway, thanks for the heads up on this treatment. Gonna start using it as soon as it arrives.
EL

·
Premium Member
7,622 Posts
Another option which I use, is StarTron Enzyme fuel treatment. The blue stuff.
Star Tron Enzyme Fuel Treatment

Claims to eliminate or prevent ethanol problems. I started using it instead of Stabil because the original packaging stated it keeps fuel stable for up to 2 yrs (twice the time of Stabil). Plus overdosing is not harmful.
I've been finding it at walmart in the marine dept.

Bob
I would not trust any auto gas for two years, no matter what pixie dust is added to it. And getting through a northeast winter on E10 is a gamble.

The only gas I trust for more than a year is 100LL ... and that can't be used in an LT, but is great for small engines used off-road.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I agree. I'm not into trusting any stored fuel for that long. I like the Star Tron mainly because of the inability to overdose, owing to it being essentially a fuel in it's own right - as I understand it. Also, being a marine application, I think it may have a higher standard to live up to. And if it's applicated shelf life is twice as long, then I like it all the more.
On the subject of corn-gas, I absolutely dislike it in my bike, snowblower, etc. I only use it when non-ethanol is not available. Then I make sure to run it out and then re-fuel with non-ethanol for storage:
For the record, here is the URL for finding non-ethanol premium anywhere in the US & Canada:

http://pure-gas.org/index.jsp?stateprov=ID
Bob

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I use startron. I use it every other fill up too. I find mine at advance auto, Auto zone.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts