BMW Luxury Touring Community banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On my K1200LT - To reverse,
Engage neutral, Twist knob, Press starter.

The engine revs and the bike rolls back about 18 inches then the reverse disengages.
Hold down starter button and repeat for another 18 inches or so back.

Is it cutting out early ? Should the bike roll back until the button is released ?

·
Registered
207 Posts
Something is not working right.. I put mine in reverse and as long as i hold the starter button down, it continues to reverse.

·
Registered
183 Posts

The engine revs and the bike rolls back about 18 inches then the reverse disengages.

Is it cutting out early ? Should the bike roll back until the button is released ?
Mine stays engaged as long as I'm hitting the button.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
I believe this is caused by a faulty or miss-adjusted speed sensor. Let me check on that and find a thread.

EDIT: Yes, the threads I find indicate the speed sensor on the transmission or possibly a bad reverse controller.

You can try and clean the speed sensor or replace it if that doesn't help and after that, I would look at a reverse conteroler from flebay

·
Registered
56 Posts

Are you on a flat surface they dont like ramps ect

·
Registered
493 Posts
Mine has always worked as you described, just a bit longer. Engages for about 1-1.5 meters the cuts off. Possibly to avoid overheating the starter motor. Not 18" though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Mine has always worked as you described, just a bit longer. Engages for about 1-1.5 meters the cuts off. Possibly to avoid overheating the starter motor. Not 18" though.

It should run until you release the button. If it doesn't, there is a problem.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Oh!

·
Registered
165 Posts
Mine goes into reverse, light comes on but it does not move when I push the starter button. Is this the reverse motor that is bad or could it be gunked up?

·
Registered
183 Posts
Are you on a flat surface they dont like ramps ect
Ramps (within reason) shouldn't be an issue. A flat surface almost defeats the purpose of having reverse. I use mine to back into my garage and my driveway has a decent downslope and never had a problem. I could see a great enough slope being more than the starter torque can overcome but that's about it.

·
Registered
4,340 Posts
Mine goes into reverse, light comes on but it does not move when I push the starter button. Is this the reverse motor that is bad or could it be gunked up?
The reverse motor is actually the starter motor so you have a different issue as long as the bike starts normally.

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't mean to be argumentative, but having read up on the reverse system, it has nothing to do with the starter. There is actually a revers gear in the transmission, therefore ramps should not have anything to do with it. As an experiment and if your balance is good, try and give it a little gas and you'll see that it actually speeds up.

·
Registered
207 Posts
HMMMM. I may have to "reverse" myself.. I'm reading conflicting discussions on the K1200lt reverse system. Some say it's an actual function of the transmission, and others say it's the Starter. Now i'm really confused, as My Dealer in Jacksonville specifically told me the reverse had nothing to do with the Starter. I look at transmissions for sale in various outlets, and they all say K1200lt transmission with reverse.. If anyone has a definitive guide to this, i'd sure like to read it. As a side note, i've had absolutely no issues reversing even with a steep incline.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the comments.

Obviously there is a problem with a faulty part somewhere.

However I still have reverse - I just have to do it in a series of inelegant steps while others glide serenely backwards.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
HMMMM. I may have to "reverse" myself.. I'm reading conflicting discussions on the K1200lt reverse system. Some say it's an actual function of the transmission, and others say it's the Starter. Now i'm really confused, as My Dealer in Jacksonville specifically told me the reverse had nothing to do with the Starter. I look at transmissions for sale in various outlets, and they all say K1200lt transmission with reverse.. If anyone has a definitive guide to this, i'd sure like to read it. As a side note, i've had absolutely no issues reversing even with a steep incline.
This is near as I can get with an explanation.
when you shift into rev there is a dog gear in the top of the g/box that that slides across connecting the starter drive with the gear, the reverse controller limits the rpm so that the bike doesn't go flat out backwards and yes it is driven by the starter motor. As said if you hold the button down it should keep going until you release.
Mine did this after a bmw service many years ago they left a wire unplugged to the rev controller

·
Registered
38 Posts
When I push the starter button for reverse mode the RPM steps up a bit. I always assumed it was because of the significant amount of reduction gear from the starter to the gearbox, and to keep the battery happy. I have never tested it, but it feels like is has plenty of torque to make it up a ramp. this is making me want to try something crazy with it (here hold my beer and watch this).

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,486 Posts
My 2007 K1200LT did that under warranty...the reverse controller was replaced, which fixed the problem.

·
Wrencher Extraordinaire
2005 K1200LT
14,170 Posts
Most likely cause is a bad speed sensor. It tells the reverser controller how fast you are moving and if it gets no signal it stops until you press the starter button again. I would change it $ first before I went after the $$$ controller.

·
Registered
183 Posts
I found this on a copy of the owners manual:
"Do not operate the reverser for more than 1 minute – bear the state of battery charge in mind. The reverser switches off if it is overloaded."

I also believe I read somewhere that reverse is limited to 1mph, if it exceeds that I believe it will switch off as well. That would lead me to believe the speed sensor is at fault. It is possible the cables to the starter/battery could have a bad contact or something is overloading it but my money is on the sensor.

·
Registered
594 Posts
Thanks for the comments.

Obviously there is a problem with a faulty part somewhere.

However I still have reverse - I just have to do it in a series of inelegant steps while others glide serenely backwards.
As many have already stated. This is a "classic" fault. It is fault in speed sensor on top/side of gearbox or the connector to it (like I had).

1 - 20 of 23 Posts